Black Privilege? Does It Exist?

Here are some numbers:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/06/24/us/affirmative-action-bans.html (note on this one doesn't even include the Asian statistics)

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...statistics-indicate-an-ivy-league-asian-quota

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/11/affirmative-action

Here is the information LIONBLOOD was talking about, in regards to medical school admissions:

https://www.aei.org/publication/acc...-affirmative-discrimination-blacks-hispanics/

Being Asian is by far the worst demographic to be in America in terms of academia. They are not well portrayed here and are far less socially integrated than other races, so schools with a certain prestige or reputation to uphold that isn't solely derived from technical ability (such as MIT, CMU, Caltech) are able to use "holistic" selection processes to use subjective criteria to lower the amount of Asians admitted.

This is for undergraduate admissions. The numbers show a different story for graduate studies, where your "overall balance" isn't as important as your skill and passion in your field of study (and is subsequently easier to objectively quantify), which is why you see a significantly higher percentage of Asians at the graduate level, even at schools like the Ivy League where they are not as well-received in undergraduate admissions.
Damn, so what's the alternative? Because there's the empirical fact to consider that Asians are notorious nepotists under the guise of "equal opportunity". Not just orientals either, take a peek in any New York 7-Eleven or Dunkin Donuts.

I agree affirmative action is frustrating, but so is the fact that your ancestors fought and died for equal footing only for immigrants to come in and reap the benefits or superior education and public services while exercising their rights to be insular. To deny this would just be an ******* thing to do.

However, I do think there's a massive number of blacks who squander away these opportunities under the victim narrative...just lazy and ignorant, not realizing what immigrants actually have to go through to obtain legitimate citizenship in this country.

I can't lie, that's privilege.

They be waiting in the cut like...
DDwMwD8.gif

Whyyyy :rofl:

It definitely makes more sense for diversity programs to be based on socioeconomic factors but then you'd be asking underfunded schools to increase the population of kids who cant afford it (and increase scholarships to match). Will never happen. like it or not school is a business. Thats why we spend a year and a half of your college careers in ******** classes like Geography and Greek Mythology. Also why student loan interest average around 6.8% with an average 30k loan balance.****. i missed this post entirely. But it answers my question. Some schools are relatively the same acceptance rates for blacks and hispanics and other schools schools have a significant decrease in acceptance rate. So black people are are better off with affirmative action but its extremely detrimental for Asians.

I used to see special news reports about people with perfect SAT scores being rejected from Ivy Leagues and never understood why. Knew asians did well but didnt know they were competing at such a level. THOUSANDS of other Asians with perfect SAT scores are rejected from Ivy League schools? To put that in perspective Columbia's class size is ~2300 and Harvad's is ~1700

I can easily see both sides of the argument on this. Wonder how long before it is eliminated completely.
At the same time, you can see the viewpoint of the school's who are limiting the number of Asian admittances. The schools where they are well represented are typically technical schools which couldn't care less about the image they portray - places like MIT want to perpetrate the bookworm/nerdy stereotype because the school is all about getting the best quantitative talent.

But then you have places like Harvard/Yale/Princeton, which have a lot more "history", and are more status-conscious than places like MIT. How would Harvard, the Oldest Institution of Higher Education in America look if it was a majority of not white, not even black/hispanic, but Asian - the most foreign group in America? Not to mention, their generalizations come from a level of experience - a lot of the Asian kids who got perfect SATs and have show-stopping resumes are pretty cookie-cutter, similar goals, behavior, and of course the extreme focus on education at the expense of other attributes (being "holistic" isn't a bad thing).

I went to school with a lot of those types. They aren't bad people by any means, but they certainly reinforce stereotypes, and those particular sets of stereotypes aren't well-received in the old money halls of the top institutions.

Last edited:
Damn, so what's the alternative? Because there's the empirical fact to consider that Asians are notorious nepotists under the guise of "equal opportunity". Not just orientals either, take a peek in any New York 7-Eleven or Dunkin Donuts.

I agree affirmative action is frustrating, but so is the fact that your ancestors fought and died for equal footing only for immigrants to come in and reap the benefits or superior education and public services while exercising their rights to be insular. To deny this would just be an ******* thing to do.

However, I do think there's a massive number of blacks who squander away these opportunities under the victim narrative...just lazy and ignorant, not realizing what immigrants actually have to go through to obtain legitimate citizenship in this country.

I can't lie, that's privilege.
There is no alternative, and even if there was it would never be implemented.

Asians will never complain about this situation. Even if they know the deck is stacked against them, they won't vocalize and mobilize, because while it is an unfair situation, life isn't fair, and it's one that can be fairly easy to overcome. One way to do so, which is what you see droves of them doing, is flocking to technical/STEM majors and careers where they are rewarded for their quantitative and objective skills instead of being punished for their subjectively qualitative ones.

You can pretty much pinpoint the reasons why even despite the previously mentioned statistics and clear discrimination against them, they still do extremely well in America. Study hard in a high-demand and technical degree, put in the extra effort to master the material, obtain high paying job, save the money wisely. This is especially true for the international students who come over from Asia. A lot of Asian-American kids these days are more "balanced" (you can basically just assume they're white at this point), but in my experience, all the ones who came from China especially had a very strong work ethic.

It makes sense though, to get to America from over there is extremely difficult from the insane level of competition, then you travel to the other side of the world with no support system here, all of a sudden things like drinking on Thursday or screwing around playing pickup football instead of going to class don't seem so fun. There's no doubt that Asians are not nearly as marginalized as other racial groups in America though - and I'm sure most recognize that and are aware that things are worse for other people in the same country.

I'd take not getting into Princeton for undergrad over being anxious every time I'm near a police officer.

I agree. At some point black americans need to accept that Africans come from a much worse situation than Black Americans move here then become a lot more successful. A line truly has to be drawn somewhere

At the same time, you can see the viewpoint of the school's who are limiting the number of Asian admittances.

I see the viewpoint. I think it is ******** but I do understand where they are coming from.

They want to have a certain image so they dont alienate (white) Americans but at the same time minorities who get into more elite schools have had that alienation problem since forever. But of course they will maintain the status quo. Thats just how the world works.

Last edited:
Only on NT can a thread about black privilage turn into a discussion about Asians.

Not criticizing, just making a observation. Residue from NT of old. :lol:

Another black "privilege" (as in just a perk) is that females of all races become MUCH easier to get as you get older if you are even just semi-successful. Black women are ballers (most educated group in america) and can't bare to "date down". Having a business, an average paying job, or a college degree gets them moist. Asians get mr tall dark and handsome for themselves and mr successful for their parents. White girls keep doing what they were doing before but now you have less competition it would seem.

I mean this is the case for all men but it seems the effects are compounded for black men.
I know i'm late to the party but brah i don't know about the asain women part being "much easier". Have yet to see a hot Asian women with a black dude in the street. Almost always see them with another Asian and sometimes with a white dude. 

I think all females make it a bit easier when they date outside their race.

I know i'm late to the party but brah i don't know about the asain women part being "much easier". Have yet to see a hot Asian women with a black dude in the street. Almost always see them with another Asian and sometimes with a white dude. 

Rarely. The chances of something happening are 1 in 1000 one day and 5 in 1000 the next day its still much better chances, even if the chances are still small.

Maybe its just me noticing it but I see more black dudes with attractive asians now than I did when I was significantly younger

Asian females will date a black guy, I see it all the time around NYU. Or in poor neighborhoods like Flushing, where you have an influx of poor immigrants who have newly arrived and are learning the ropes. I don't think they'd marry them though...that drama is real. I have a few Filipino cousins by marriage, also Japanese and Chinese. If an Asian marries a black dude he REALLY has to have his **** together or a very large and close knit family.

The luxury of being able to consistently make racist comments and get a pass.

Luxury huh?
So if I call you a *insert racial slur here*, what privilege do I receive from that? Expound on "getting a pass" and please enlighten the thread.

The fact that you could make a racist comment and the media wouldn't make a big deal about it. Any other race says it, and it's all over the news. Other races would get into trouble for it. You would not. That's a privilege.

The fact that you could make a racist comment and the media wouldn't make a big deal about it. Any other race says it, and it's all over the news. Other races would get into trouble for it. You would not. That's a privilege.

There are gains to being able to make racist statements ?
Your statement in itself is false tho ..see the backlash Raven Simone received for her outlandish statements

The more you know

Last edited:
Delusional.

Back
Top Bottom