Blade Runner 2049 (10/06/17) - Ford, Gosling, Batista, Leto, etc... SciFi Masterpiece?

Saw the movie in 3D last night and LOVED the visuals. I thought the storyline was boring.
Anyway wanted to get your thoughts on the role of women in this film and other films with virtual reality and artificial technology tech.
My girlfriend was offended by Hollywood's constant use of technology in movies for the purpose of men creating their perfect version of a woman, examples such as this movie, HER and Ex-Machina. Thoughts?

Saw the movie in 3D last night and LOVED the visuals. I thought the storyline was boring.
Anyway wanted to get your thoughts on the role of women in this film and other films with virtual reality and artificial technology tech.
My girlfriend was offended by Hollywood's constant use of technology in movies for the purpose of men creating their perfect version of a woman, examples such as this movie, HER and Ex-Machina. Thoughts?

In HER, the A.I actually becomes independent, leaving the main character to evolve into something more
In Ex Machina, Ava actually escapes nathan's compound and goes out into the real world.

If anything both those characters broke the mold and evolved to higher status than their male human counterparts.

In Blade Runner 2049 I thought they did an amazing job with Joi and K's relationship. from the purchase to the eminator to her wanting to be real for him and then her taking the risk that she might be destroyed by going with him without the support of the console. I think that the actual "Joi" program was to objectify women, no doubt, but it was different for K, being a replicant and not being considered actually human and Joi being a holographic A.I.

I actually loved how they made their relationship so personal and real, so that when she says "I love you." you felt that.

You also get strong(star making) performance from Luv
I won't bring up Robin Wright's "Madam" as she was human(i think :nerd:)

now if this were a "Weird Science" thread your girl might have a point

I think she may have missed the point because the female bots in Her and Ex-Machina pretty much backfired for the protagonist, almost a commentary that you can't create the perfect woman.

In this film, it's pretty much machine on machine for the most part but I guess replicants aren't exactly machines despite them evolving from robots and called androids? And again, it asks the questions more of what makes a "human" instead of it about creating the "perfect woman" out of technology.

Now that I've had time to think it over, here are my thoughts:

I love love love the baseline scene, its amazing that they have checks like this, reminded me of the interview scenes in A Scanner Darkly

The views of the cityscapes and the different locales really had an impact on changing up the scenery

The sound editing and design is AMAZING, watch in IMAX or Dolby to fully appreciate it

When he failed the baseline my mind was blown on how they built up to that

The scene when he finds out it wasn't him, meeting all the other replicants, and him taking on the duty to get Deckard reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns when he was in the prison and needed to climb out.

Gotta watch it again

We came to the conclusion that ultimately Hollywood shows a negative outcome. Her point is the constant attempt at a man using technology to create this visual representation of his ideal view of a woman. Whereas we rarely see a movie where a woman is using A.I./Virtual Reality to create an ideal man because they're aren't as visually aroused. She wanted to balance the scales. Trust me, I go into these conversations all the time with her as diversity is her life work for a top technology firm.

I think she may have missed the point because the female bots in Her and Ex-Machina pretty much backfired for the protagonist, almost a commentary that you can't create the perfect woman.

In this film, it's pretty much machine on machine for the most part but I guess replicants aren't exactly machines despite them evolving from robots and called androids? And again, it asks the questions more of what makes a "human" instead of it about creating the "perfect woman" out of technology.

But if the point is that it is eventually the mans downfall (with the exception of Blade Runner) then isn't that showing the lesson is that the man is wrong for doing so?

I mean the moral is there, it just seems like the point is missed if you just saw a hot robot woman and then came to that conclusion.

I'd understand her point if the machine women was used as a sex object and then the movie ends there but that were't the case at all. If anything, it tells you not to do so.

I mean yes, Hollywood is sexist and majority of the studio heads are men who greenlits more films where women are objectified than men but those examples are probably the exception.

Movie was beautiful in Dolby. The facial cgi in this film blew me away.

I saw it today and absolutely loved it. Thoroughly impressed. 10/10 for me.
I dont understand why is it doing poorly at the box office?

while not the sole contributing factor, it being close to 3 hours long doesn't help as it really cuts the amount of showtime the movie has

but also people might have felt mislead, the original came out 35 years ago and many haven't seen it and thought it's an action sci-fi film and those that tried to watch the OG now probably got bored and turned off

Should I watch the first before watching this?

Worth watching in IMAX? I finally live near an IMAX theater lol.

Should I watch the first before watching this?

Worth watching in IMAX? I finally live near an IMAX theater lol.

You can definitely get by without watching the first, and there is even an animated short set between the first and second that can help better enrich your viewing experience. However, if you have the time, I would highly recommend watching the first as there are a few plot points that hit home better when you understand where they are coming from + helps guide expectations in terms of pacing/style.

Also, i would go for the IMAX all the way (and not that LIEmax bs) as the visuals and sound that everyone in here is raving about is 100% true.

Yes, I highly recommend watching the first one and I also recommend IMAX or Atmos Dolby.

seen it last night.

OG Blade Runner is top 5 best sci-fi movies ever for me.

loved the visuals
the sdtk was ok
but the story was a big meh to me, kind of a let down. it wasnt cookie cutter and kept me guessing. but i was thinking "thats it?"

while watching i said to myself that i could see it struggling in the box office.
the average movie person wants non stop action, explosions, corny jokes, and eye candy.
movies like this tend to not do well in theaters. still glad i got to see it on the big screen.

i wanted to walk out myself.

not because it was a bad movie though. it just didnt live up to what i expected.

i can see non fans getting bored

idk maybe i need to see it again

This movie has stayed on my mind past the weekend.

The visuals and score alone are just sublime. I don't think I've ever felt so immersed in a fictional world.

This! I plan on watching it in IMAX one more time before they pull this thing out of theaters. This will be purchased in 4K once it goes on sale too.

Watched the first movie last week at 3am on Saturday so I figured why not watch the sequel.

It not bad, but it's a pretty big tonal shift from the first one. Granted the OG was slathered in noir sauce and this movie felt like a normal sci fi movie(not knocking that)

2049 is imo a better movie than the OG but not as interesting from the world building perspective. I feel like 2049 can be set in the same world as GITS(2016) or Total Recall 2012. There were little things that drew me in like JOI but at times it felt a bit generic from the world perspective. What I mean to say is I found the OG movie to be kinda bleh but was really interested in the concept and the world that was created. It's the opposite for 2049

I also thought they could've leaned more into the K/JOI relationship. While she was around him a lot, aside from those 2 apartment scenes I don't even know if they had much back and forth between each other(she'd say stuff or be there but no conversing) then she gets crushed. Also I don't believe that K would feel betrayed by the JOI revelation. It's not as if she was obviously saying generic stuff to him when they were alone. She seemingly had a mind of her own

Finally, may be against the grain but I think this would've been better as a stand alone movie not having anything to do with the OG movie. I felt it went downhill as soon as Deckard and the resistance were introduced

Side note: Sean Young was :evil: in the OG film( gotta put her up there with Vanity in my top 80's chicks) and this lookalike just wasn't doin it for me at all

Blade Runner 2049 5/8. It was okay. Acting was on point. Gosling was on point. Rest of the cast did their thing for this very noir joint.

Main problem was this did not need to be almost 3 hrs. Even for this story being told. While the visuals probably are the best for a futuristic human society in this sci-fi setting I nodded off a bit for the 1st hour :lol: A rarity but this movie was telling me to take a nap.

Ford :pimp: movie stepped up when he showed up.

I actually like the baton passing of the storytelling here. This was agent K's story with him unraveling these mysteries and getting down to the truth while having a bad guy to face off against in the end but the transition to Decker was just nice. The end of the movie and story revelations clearly set up a sequel.

Hopefully next installment is a bit tighter and engaging

Last edited:
Loved it! Saw it in Imax and it was so immersive! I can honestly say I’ve never felt like that while watching a movie.
It had everything I wanted it to have and while I havent seen the OG in a long time I think this one is better

seen it last night.

OG Blade Runner is top 5 best sci-fi movies ever for me.

loved the visuals
the sdtk was ok
but the story was a big meh to me, kind of a let down. it wasnt cookie cutter and kept me guessing. but i was thinking "thats it?"

while watching i said to myself that i could see it struggling in the box office.
the average movie person wants non stop action, explosions, corny jokes, and eye candy.
movies like this tend to not do well in theaters. still glad i got to see it on the big screen.

i wanted to walk out myself.

not because it was a bad movie though. it just didnt live up to what i expected.

i can see non fans getting bored

idk maybe i need to see it again

Agreed here. Very elegant, cleanly told science fiction, but meh. Looked like it was gonna be a big basket of convenience but i'm glad they averted that.

Back
Top Bottom