Calling All NT Econ Majors.

I'm looking into majoring in econ. I've taken Intro to Microeconomics and I'm currently taking Intro to Macroeconomics. For those of you who graduated as econ majors, what job field did you go into and what other jobs have you seen econ majors take on? I'm interested in the job opportunities as an econ major.

I'm looking into majoring in econ. I've taken Intro to Microeconomics and I'm currently taking Intro to Macroeconomics. For those of you who graduated as econ majors, what job field did you go into and what other jobs have you seen econ majors take on? I'm interested in the job opportunities as an econ major.

i take econ too i would like to know about the job oppotunities and what is the starting salaries for some

i take econ too i would like to know about the job oppotunities and what is the starting salaries for some

property manager for now

econ is good if you want to keep options open in the job field because it prepares you for many different things

on the downside if you're not sure what you want to do with econ after graduating it can be frustrating

a lot of  people go into finance and banking...very few people actually become economists from what i know 

property manager for now

econ is good if you want to keep options open in the job field because it prepares you for many different things

on the downside if you're not sure what you want to do with econ after graduating it can be frustrating

a lot of  people go into finance and banking...very few people actually become economists from what i know 

I majored in Economics and I'm in the process of applying to medical school. It was mainly for a back up. A lot of my friends that graduated with a degree in economics went on to law school, finance. The degree will give you a decent shot at an entry level job in the finance/banking industry, but you should be open to graduate school. 

I majored in Economics and I'm in the process of applying to medical school. It was mainly for a back up. A lot of my friends that graduated with a degree in economics went on to law school, finance. The degree will give you a decent shot at an entry level job in the finance/banking industry, but you should be open to graduate school. 

I'm doubling in Econ. and Political Science right now and I loved both Micro and Macro and look forward to taking more. Alot of people think Econ is boring but I don't see it. My second cousin is a retired former Investment Banker, VP, Venture Cap. FIrm Partner, etc. and he told me that when he's looking to field a position for every Econ major there's 20 business major's and he hires the Econ major 90% of the time. When he was convincing me to choose Econ over Business he put it to me like, "A smart business major after they graduate will make $90,000 a year and that's perfectly fine, but I majored in Econ and made $3-4 million a year."

I'm doubling in Econ. and Political Science right now and I loved both Micro and Macro and look forward to taking more. Alot of people think Econ is boring but I don't see it. My second cousin is a retired former Investment Banker, VP, Venture Cap. FIrm Partner, etc. and he told me that when he's looking to field a position for every Econ major there's 20 business major's and he hires the Econ major 90% of the time. When he was convincing me to choose Econ over Business he put it to me like, "A smart business major after they graduate will make $90,000 a year and that's perfectly fine, but I majored in Econ and made $3-4 million a year."

I just finished my B.A. in Economics and I'm currently on the job hunt. During my internship last summer my supervisor showed me how much they had to pay one economist for some research work. This dude was paid $3000 a day for 10 days to write up a 7 page report (3 of the pages were charts and graphs). Hope that serves as motivation for some of you because it sure is for me.

To be frankly honest though, I hated Economics. Even to this day I'm not too fond of it. I just finished reading "Freakonomics" and one quote that struck me was this: "Economics is a field suffering from a lack of interesting questions." Based on my time in college, I couldn't agree more. Hopefully I'll find a job doing some interesting studies like in that book.

I just finished my B.A. in Economics and I'm currently on the job hunt. During my internship last summer my supervisor showed me how much they had to pay one economist for some research work. This dude was paid $3000 a day for 10 days to write up a 7 page report (3 of the pages were charts and graphs). Hope that serves as motivation for some of you because it sure is for me.

To be frankly honest though, I hated Economics. Even to this day I'm not too fond of it. I just finished reading "Freakonomics" and one quote that struck me was this: "Economics is a field suffering from a lack of interesting questions." Based on my time in college, I couldn't agree more. Hopefully I'll find a job doing some interesting studies like in that book.

There is no way you ever went to Cornell if you needed to ask these questions. And you took a year off before you decided a major?
Yea, Ups and queens college for an undeclared cornell student? Y'all can't be that crazy in ithaca.

There is no way you ever went to Cornell if you needed to ask these questions. And you took a year off before you decided a major?
Yea, Ups and queens college for an undeclared cornell student? Y'all can't be that crazy in ithaca.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

laugh.gif
Ok, dude...You don't have to believe that I attend Cornell. You probably just wanted to get laughs out of that again. You're beating a dead horse now...Move on.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

laugh.gif
Ok, dude...You don't have to believe that I attend Cornell. You probably just wanted to get laughs out of that again. You're beating a dead horse now...Move on.

yea i was thinkin of goin into banking when i graduate but i also wanna double major in math would that b a waste?
nerd.gif
at makin 3000 a day

yea i was thinkin of goin into banking when i graduate but i also wanna double major in math would that b a waste?
nerd.gif
at makin 3000 a day

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

nerd.gif
at makin 3000 a day

Double majoring in econ and math is actually pretty common...I don't see why it'd be a waste.

Back
Top Bottom