Calvin Johnson: Greatest WR of All Time Discussion

AJ is on pace to outgain calvin in yards in year 3...he's outgained him in year 1 and in year 2 also

3 straight 1000 receiving yards and on pace for his second 1,300+ season and 23 career touchdowns

halfway thru year 3.

he's been doing all of this without a number 2 , and without the luxury of playing in a dome

with a big arm quarterback

im not 100% sure but i want to say he was the highest graded player in a draft that had

von miller,jj watts , cam newton ,julio jones, aldon smith , patrick peterson etc

if you go through every single category

you want a receiver to excel in ...green does

Last edited:
I'm just going to say it. CJ only gets those numbers because he is Detroit's offense. If he had a team with more weapons he wouldn't put up Godlike numbers all the time. At catching over DBs though, he is the best.

What a special flower you are.

If Detroit has more reliable weapons that would make Calvin that much more dangerous. Teams up to this point can sell out and triple cover him and he still beats them.

We now have Reggie and both of them have been feasting on teams, if Detroit had a legit #2 that commanded respect from teams you don't think Calvin would put up better numbers? He would see less triple coverage and be an even bigger threat against teams.

AJ is on pace to outgain calvin in yards in year 3...he's outgained him in year 1 and in year 2 also
3 straight 1000 receiving yards and on pace for his second 1,300+ season and 23 career touchdowns
halfway thru year 3.

he's been doing all of this without a number 2 , and without the luxury of playing in a dome
with a big arm quarterback

im not 100% sure but i want to say he was the highest graded player in a draft that had
von miller,jj watts , cam newton ,julio jones, aldon smith , patrick peterson etc

if you go through every single category
you want a receiver to excel in ...green does

Calvin didn't have a big arm quarterback his first 3 years either though.

Calvin had the worst QBs in the league his first three years

AJ Green himself will tell you he's not as good as Calvin

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131019/SPT02/310190083/

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever seen SneakerPro so adamant about something :lol:

I wasn't able to witness Rice in his prime, so I can't comment on whether Calvin is/on pace to be better. Would most definitely take him over Moss/T.O and any other WR not named Rice. When this dude is on the field you just know that you have no chance of stopping him. Don't think I've ever felt that way about anyone.

Don't think I've ever seen SneakerPro so adamant about something :lol:

I wasn't able to witness Rice in his prime, so I can't comment on whether Calvin is/on pace to be better. Would most definitely take him over Moss/T.O and any other WR not named Rice. When this dude is on the field you just know that you have no chance of stopping him. Don't think I've ever felt that way about anyone.

Man there two players that I feel pretty strongly about and will defend to the death.

Dirk Nowitzki
Calvin Johnson

Because I've watched every second of both those dudes careers I know what they are and I know what they aren't.

Real talk I don't think you can say Calvin is better than Jerry. Jerry produced for too long to have Calvin snatch his crown yet.

AJ is not Calvin yet. If he keeps improving he'll get there though.
Man we get to watch AP and Megatron and they can both go down as the best at their respective positions.

He would not have as much catches if they had a number two.

He would probably see just as many targets as he gets right now. The only thing that would likely change is that he would have a much bigger potential for even more big plays each game.

I think it depends on who the WR has to compliment him. I think Megatron would put up better numbers with a dominant TE vs another WR.

Last edited:
Well stats is how we measure players in sports and even without numbers, he has to perform good for years to come if he even wants to be mentioned next to Rice.

Well stats is how we measure players in sports and even without numbers, he has to perform good for years to come if he even wants to be mentioned next to Rice.

Nah. If Calvin Johnson had Marques Colston #'s, CJ would still be a superior player.

Playing for a long period of time isn't what made Jerry great, his abilities on the field made him great.

Well we can agree on that at least, he has to perform consistently and as long as Rice did to be considered Rice's equal or superior. And you're right, Rice and CJ are both extremely talented in their own ways.

Well we can agree on that at least, he has to perform consistently and as long as Rice did to be considered Rice's equal or superior. And you're right, Rice and CJ are both extremely talented in their own ways.

I disagree

Kareem isn't considered the best basketball players of all time even though he performed at high level longer than anyone else.

Brett Favre isn't considered the best QB because he was putting up numbers into his 40s.

If Calvin does what he is doing right now for another 5-6 years with no decline he's the best ever.

The reason it can't be said and it's not really an argument now is Calvin truthfully only has 3.5 dominant seasons.

99 Games played.
535 Receptions
8,657 Yards
61 TD's

6-5' 235lbs 4.4 Speed, catch radius the size of Wyoming.

1 Playoff game. 12 receptions, 211 yards, 2 TD

Last 27 games including the playoff game, SIX 200 yard games. No other receiver in history has more than 6 for an entire career.

36 100 yard games + 1 Playoff game.

So, after 100 games, We're here. If you go the simple route, you double everything to 200 games, you get 1

1,070 receptions
122 TDs

Jerry Rice finished at 303 games
1,549 receptions
22,895 yards
197 TD's

If Calvin continued this pace to 300 games, like Jerry, it would look like....

1,605 receptions
25,971 yards
183 TD's

Discuss

Am I the only one that caught this logic? :rofl: If you double everything to 200 games, then 300 games. Is he serious? So Calvin is going to be the same player at 40 as he is at 25?

Actually, the thinking in that is his numbers spike now (28-32) and go beyond his early averages (say games 1-15 in his career) but the tail end comes down, sort of like Rice's did.

Again, those were exampled, rough guesses. Not stated as facts.

So relax.

i dont understand why people assume with a different quarterback he would be more productive . can someone explain this to me ? Staffords averaging 5000 yards a season the last two years -- are you saying someone else would target him more ? he averaged 7.5 rec on 13 targets a game last year and is averaging 6.7 rec on 11.3 targets a game this year

i think its a pretty weak argument personally . id argue with Steve Young being a mobile quarterback Calvin would get targeted less

Back
Top Bottom