Calvin Johnson: Greatest WR of All Time Discussion

Can we at least wait until CJ catches up to Randy Moss before we annoint him as the GOAT?

CJ right now is like Lebron after he scored 25 straight against Detroit. He gotta get to Kobe(Moss) level first before we can compare him to Rice (Jordan).

So basically, physically and skill wise, he's the GOAT...
He just needs the career stats to back it up

:nerd:

I just can't buy Randy.

Calvin is producing on level no other receiver in NFL history has with no other threat.

Randy played with Chris Carter, Wes Welker and what not when he had his historic seasons.

The defensive scheme the whole week is to slow CJ81 and they can't not emmm a little bit.

Randy at his prime would still draw an occasional single coverage, when is the last time you saw Calvin Johnson make a big play on one dude? It hasn't happened in two years outside of the goalline.

Hard to believe at one point people were rolling their eyes that Detroit drafted yet another #1 WR with their 1st round pick. Imagine if all 3 panned out. :lol:

Also, put me in the homer category that if Chris Chambers ever had a better QB around him, he would've gone down as a great. Also assuming he would've stayed the same receiver he was before Kenoy Kennedy ended his career

Calvin Johnson in his entire career has never played with another player who accumllated 1000 yards.

No 1000 yard rusher ever.

No 1000 yard receiver ever.

No other offensive probowler.

No other all offensive all-pro,

And they still can't stop him.

This is the NFL if you are the only threat they can take you out. Except Calvin,

Last edited:
A.J. Green is just as good as Calvin Johnson. Johnson is elite because of his rare combination of size and speed which gives him a nice advantage in terms of out jumping defenders for the ball running stride for stride. A.J. Green has nice size for a WR, but runs better routes than Johnson. 

Last edited:
Moss maybe be better than Calvin

AJ is hands down the second best WR in the league right now Dez be damned.

But AJ as good as CJ naw B.

I need to know why AJ is better than DT too.

Don't forget Calvin fathers both them dudes in the offseason.

Since when do we discount a players greatness because hes bigger/faster/stronger than everyone else?

Last edited:
A.J. Green is just as good as Calvin Johnson. Johnson is elite because of his rare combination of size and speed which gives him a nice advantage in terms of out jumping defenders for the ball running stride for stride. A.J. Green has nice size for a WR, but runs better routes than Johnson. 

Since when do we discount a players greatness because hes bigger/faster/stronger than everyone else?

DC - care to address this?

Calvin Johnson is great, but I can't give him a nod over AJ/Fitz/etc. because he's just bigger and faster than them.

I never discounted Calvin Johnson for anything. I already mentioned that he's ELITE. Just looking at both WR's (Green/Johnson) and their complete game, I think A.J. Green is just as good. Yes, Johnson makes all the great catches, tough catches, and is a matchup nightmare, but A.J. Green is just as lethal without the size of Johnson. A.J. Green being a better route runner with good hands is the reason. Green can't out jump two and three defenders like Johnson, but is just a productive. Maybe the word I'm looking for is more skilled.

never. because it's impossible to make an argument of "if he didn't have this talent, he'd perform this much worse". arguing what he would be without talent when you can't take his talent away isn't fair to him

Calvin Johnson in his entire career has never played with another player who accumllated 1000 yards.

No 1000 yard rusher ever.

No 1000 yard receiver ever.

No other offensive probowler.

No other all offensive all-pro,

And they still can't stop him.

This is the NFL if you are the only threat they can take you out. Except Calvin,

This is sort of what I was alluding to with Rice, who had all those things around him. Rushers, receivers, All Pro lineman, MVP QB's, even great defense's and a HOF coach to boot.

I wonder what happens if Calvin gets talent around him, and I thought Reggie was a perfect start. (so far so good)

I think its the end of Calvin's career that is going to prevent him from reaching Rice's stats.....assuming he doesn't get injured at some point up until then.

I'm obviously a little bias but I'd take Calvin right now in his prime over any other receiver ever in his prime. The problem with becoming the all time best receiver though is longevity and Calvin is still at least a decade away from catching up to Rice in that department.

Also has anybody ever seen another receiver covered like Calvin in the pic below on the 1 yard line?

View media item 634027

Back
Top Bottom