Can we talk about masculinity for a minute? Is there anything that a man simply should not do?

Originally Posted by you go boy

i agree no guy should wear both earrings... even jordan can cosign that 

yeah lets use jordan as a legit co sign.

the man that wore a single hoop earring.

which is far more womanly than 2 diamond studs

Originally Posted by Cuffy

OP is Sillyputty
nerd.gif

I was just talking to my friends the other day about how some of the most dark, gansta rappers had feminine looking hair.

Tommy+Wright+III.jpg

andre-nickatina.jpg

The composition of a man
This post is because I was having a conversation with a friend and she asked me what it means to be a man.
I use the word a lot and I refer to myself as a man a lot. I have to say more often than not I get a look or a comment specially from women that look at the word Man or the statement "I'm a man" in a negative connotation for some reason socially when the word or statement is said an image of a big hairy cave man comes to mind. I'm not a male chauvinist or a testosterone fueled ape I'm a man and I'm going to attempt to explain what that means to me.

I believe that a boy becomes a man with responsibility regardless of the age, some boys turn men at 40 some boys turn men at 13. It is at the point of acceptance of responsibility that a boy is faced with this. Responsibilities of a man I divide in three categories Honor,Dignity and Strength. Before you stop reading I know words such as honor and man in the same sentence is followed by "killing" or "oppression" in modern day media so i'm going to explain the three categories of responsibility.

Firstly honor, honor means that a man is viewed with high respect this respect comes from respecting the responsibilities of family, land or property and one's word. Responsibility towards family is pretty much self explanatory, responsibilities towards land and property includes the maintenance and protection of such assets for they are a window to your respect. The respect of a man's word sadly is missing from a lot of men but these points are all as essential in calling yourself a man as each other. A man's word should be viewed as something that that is attached to respect and on honor and not just promises we try to keep.

Dignity, dignity must be defined as the state or quality of earning honor, therefore under dignity we have to observe maturity, pride and justice. I'm not going to dwell on maturity because this obviously varies in degrees but there is a social minimum that is not actually defined but observed by most. I use the word pride here and not in the context of one being proud in his dealings with others but as a becoming sense of what is due to one self position or character; self-respect; self-esteem. This is obviously according to how you treat people to begin with so if one wants to maintain their pride one must treat others with pride. Lastly under dignity is justice, a very hard responsibility to maintain justice and at times it might have to overcome one's pride. To obtain justice you have to be in total control of your emotions and conception in all situations and maintain the quality of being fair and reasonable.

Lastly we come to strength, now strength should be looked at as something that a man has the responsibility to strives for and know that he will never attain. It is an ongoing pursuit of power, influence, and knowledge. Power defines strength and it is the ability to act, meaning a man with strength cannot be helpless and always has the ability to act. Influence is the capacity to be a compelling force observing all other responsibilities; honor and dignity, many try to attain this strength by other means but without the latter I do not consider that to be influence.The pursuit of knowledge is not to be a knowledgeable person in and academic sense but it is to help you maintain all responsibilities and oneself to know and realize that all these things are what make us men and to be mindful of all the adversities one might face.

There it is, my definition of a man hope you enjoyed

http://deep-arted-ramblin.../composition-of-man.html

Originally Posted by cap1229

Men with perms should be ashamed.

Meh black girls loved it cause I had a lot more hair than them
roll.gif

But I had give up the braids and long hair in college for interviews, didn't wanna look like a drug dealer or even worse an NBA player
frown.gif

Masculinity has nothing to do with how you dress or how you do your hair, I think the link OnTheNephs has covered what it really means to be a "man"--those same values can also be applied to women and humanity in general IMO

I pee while sitting down on any of the toilets in my own house, but when in a public restroom, it's either stand-up or hold it in. My mom gets heated if anyone pees standing up at home.
roll.gif

OT:
Manicures
Pedicures
Nail Polish
Make-up (outside of theatre business)
High-lights for men 30+. If you're a goth or whatever, do your thing.
Super-Skinny Jeans.
Uggs
Deeeeeeeeeeeep V-Necks ---Simon Cowell

Comment on another dudes clothing or style
That really might be the most feminine thing you can do. Have you heard girls gossip about other girls clothes or style? Sounds hella petty

In a fight, you never beat another man while he's down. You let him up and knock him back out so that he knows that even while he's at his best, he still aint #%%+.

Diclaimer: it is okay to stomp, kick, claw, or crush the testicles of a man who is/was involved with sexual harassment or animal cruelty

So i think the replies prove that masculinity is subjective.  There isn't a real definition.  Some people have more tolerance then others when it comes to some things.
So from a personal standpoint i don't think the term really has a purpose for any adult.  A gay man can be masculine at times.  A women can be masculine at times.  So it can't really correlate to any one person.  But I guess i would say if you do something in a manner of what society deems to be "man-like" then that is my general definition of being masculine.  And that definition is subjective too because "man-like" differs person to person.    

If a guy absolutely must wear sandals/flip flops, they must be brown leather. No other color is permissible. No turquoise or pink flip flops

Originally Posted by Shox23

Originally Posted by Kramer

I wear skinny jeans everyday. Am I not a man?

before the 90s weren't all jeans skinny?
No, I had Silvertabs back then that were not skinny.. Plus didn't Levis have some jeans that were "baggy" back then??

Back
Top Bottom