Casual drinking in the house: beer glass or bottle/can?

Originally Posted by bonde111

Thank you!! Check out Firestone Walker from Paso Robles, CA. Looks like it's a drive from Sonoma, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some bottles easily around the area you'll be traveling. They just released their XV Anniversary beer that is supposed to be mighty good. Parobola by them is amazing too. I've had one other, and that was the Union Jack on tap. These guys know their stuff from the rest of their ratings on BA.
unfortunately schedule will not permit me to detour down to paso.  hopefully i can find some of that stuff at local bars and what not.  i have been to the firestone brewery bar at paso before for some beer tasting and a lot of their stuff is pretty solid.

not to sidetrack too much.  but i consider myself a real man and i drink bourbon 
happy.gif
, but I will admit that i am a bourbon noob.  i havent really developed a palate yet for the finer stuff, so my daily drinker stuff that i stock is just makers and basil hayden.  ive been told that bulleit is a solid cheaper bourbon i need to try.  im wait-listed at a couple of places for some Pappy 15yr and 20 yr.  Who knows when that will come through.  Not gonna mess with 23yr just yet, gotta crawl before I walk.

bourbon aside i also drink scotch, but again... am pretty noobish about it, and the palate is a work in progress.  my cabinet is just stocked with the basic blended stuff; JW Black/Green/Gold.  I have 3 bottles of Blue left on deck, but those will probably be consumed around X-mas/New Years with the boys, and also some Chivas.  My affordable go to single malt is Glenmorangie.  Some NTers recommended Laphroaig which was fine, but I think I prefer the Glenmorangie over the Laphroaig.

Next random question to add to the thread, do you guys enjoy drinking "mainstream" beers or do you ever pick up a case of the local brewery stuff. EX. I live in Pennsylvania and even though my favorite is Michelob Amber Bock, I enjoy occasionally picking up a case of Lionshead or Yuengling. It's odd but when I drink it I always feel a connection to home and my childhood (my dad used to always have me sip beers when I was a youngin', it was always Yuengling). On that note, is letting your child take a sip of beer bad parenting?

Originally Posted by ebozek9

Next random question to add to the thread, do you guys enjoy drinking "mainstream" beers or do you ever pick up a case of the local brewery stuff. EX. I live in Pennsylvania and even though my favorite is Michelob Amber Bock, I enjoy occasionally picking up a case of Lionshead or Yuengling. It's odd but when I drink it I always feel a connection to home and my childhood (my dad used to always have me sip beers when I was a youngin', it was always Yuengling). On that note, is letting your child take a sip of beer bad parenting?

i drink more Yuengling than i do Bud. thats our go to case. but if im out, if rather try new brews than chug Heinekins all night.

and no its not bad parenting at all. i loved sneaking a sip in when i was little.

Glass, bottle, can for me no preference. Budweiser always tasted better outta the can to me though. No idea why.
Liquor out of a red cup with ice >>

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Not to thread jack but Ive always thought your avy was Big Baby, until just now when I really looked at it.

Is that... Black Peyton Manning?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Excuse me if I'm late but that sh is funny as hell.

Anyways, it really depends on where I'm at. If I'm at someones house or a party then I'm drinking straight out of whatever we got, im not pouring every beer I drink in a glass
laugh.gif
. But if I'm at home kickin' it I like to put/grab a cup out of the freezer and pour it in there.

Shock Top/Blue Moon/Widmer Hefe's are usually my go-to at common restaurants, bars, etc. But if I'm at a brewery with a broad selection of beer I always like to try something new. Anyone ever try those little mini 6 pack of beer sliders at Yardhouse? Some of them are
pimp.gif
but some are straight up nasty, but you have to finish
laugh.gif

Wait......there are beer snobs?

I can't even believe that's a real thing...so corny.

Kill yourself.

i drink beer out of the bottle... even when I go out unless I get draft beer of course

If i'm chillin' out, may 1-2 bottles of Primo Island Lagar or Kona Longboard.

If I had a really rough day, I'll have a glass of Glenlivet w/chilled whiskey rocks.

Originally Posted by ebozek9

Next random question to add to the thread, do you guys enjoy drinking "mainstream" beers or do you ever pick up a case of the local brewery stuff.
Local stuff Natty Boh all the way but I also enjoy some Goose Island (not local but a good Chicago brew). I also really love Polish beers Lomza, Okocim, and my favorite, Zywiec.

if beer comes in a can, I drink it out of a can.  same with a bottle.  the only time I drink beer out of a glass is when it comes from a tap.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

I prefer drinking my beers at warmer temperatures.

When I visited my friend at Oxford all the beers were served at room temperature.
Delicious.

Thats when I realized that the reason the mainstream beer companies (bud,coors,miller) want you to drink their beer "ice cold" is because you can't taste anything when its cold
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

The proper way is out of a glass, and depending on the beer dictates what type of glass to use. It brings out the flavors much more this way, same with wine.
with all the bickering going on in this thread, I think a lot of people missed a great point that bonde111 made.

by no means am i a beer snob as i still enjoy crushing a case of bud light on the golf course (cans or bottles it dont matter).  but if i am drinking something with a bit more flavor, i will usually pour it into a proper glass.  a solid IPA for instance is much better suited for drinking out of a glass as it really does affect the flavor of the beer.

offtopic (kinda) - for those saying that RR, Stone, Dogfishhead are terrible, can you point me in the right direction of what is good?  I'm always looking to branch out and try new IPA's.  Heading up to Sonoma, CA for a few days to take the wife wine tasting, and I definitely plan on hitting up the RR Brewery and drink copious amounts of Pliny the Elder.

@RufioRufioRufio--All of those breweries listed make some pretty highly rated beers. Yes Rogue has a lot of hit and misses(I've drank most of what they both offer), and New Belgium is the same for that matter. Dogfish I've only personally tasted their 90 min IPA, and have some Burton Baton that was just delivered to me 2 days ago that I need to try. Can't knock DFH for being very experimental with what they are doing. Mixed reviews on their stuff on BA, but they get a lot of respect for how they run their business, and sheer creativity.

And@your comment about real men drink Bourbon....Please....I really enjoy some Bourbon now and then, but I much prefer Scotch Whiskey, but I'm not going to be ignorant and say you aren't a man if you don't drink Bourbon....I'd be curious as to what your list consists of for beers. I'm not trying to hate on you either, and maybe you were just being funny with your Bourbon comment. just wanting to have a good convo on a topic I love
happy.gif

you see NT, this is an example of a person keepin' it real. my man responds to me w.o. insult and actually brings his valid opinion to the table.
and btw the bourbon was a charlie sheen reference.  

I am very biased about beer because I usually stick to dark and stout. IPA is good too. What are your favourites from rogue?  Despite their many misses, they are my fav

I love anything coffee or chocolate. lol am i a "dessert" beer guy?

But in terms of earlier comments I wont knock a man either on his preferences; the only thing I will ever knock a man on in terms of alcohol are the following:

1) drinking and driving

2) chasing shots (treat your shots like women...never chase them)

3) sexy drinks...

Back
Top Bottom