Chappelle's Show Now on Netflix & HBO Max

These companies are nasty

"And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle's Show, I was furious. How could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad," Chappelle revealed. "And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better. That's why I **** with Netflix. Because they paid me my money, they do what they say they're going to do, and they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman. They did something just because they thought that I might think that they were wrong. And I do — I think that if you are ****ing streaming that show you're fencing stolen goods."

wait why'd he have it removed?
Cuz he isn't getting paid for it.

These companies are nasty

"And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle's Show, I was furious. How could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad," Chappelle revealed. "And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better. That's why I **** with Netflix. Because they paid me my money, they do what they say they're going to do, and they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman. They did something just because they thought that I might think that they were wrong. And I do — I think that if you are ****ing streaming that show you're fencing stolen goods."

Cuz he isn't getting paid for it.

thank u for posting fambz
They pulled it down as a courtesy to Dave, probably because they want him to keep doing business with them.
the fact that they didnt have to but they did is a good look for them

interested to see how chapelle fights that contract, never seen someone reverse/ get back at a contract they signed.

thank u for posting fambz

the fact that they didnt have to but they did is a good look for them

interested to see how chapelle fights that contract, never seen someone reverse/ get back at a contract they signed.
it seems like in that skit, his clap back is him using his fan base to bury that show. basically calling for all his fans to just never watch it again on any platform or pay to watch it. and I hope it happens.

Nah, that David Dennis Jr. dude got a fair point given Dave's framing of the situation.

He said in the video that they took it off just so he could feel better, and they went above and beyond.

Dave himself moved the conversation out of strictly an economic discussion.

That said again, I don't think Netflix did it out of the goodness of their hearts anyway.

Lets be honest, Dave asked them to take it off cuz he doesn't get paid for it. He made that clear leading up to it saying how could they not know?

He broke it down clear as day, cuz he signed a contract these ppl can put his show anywhere without telling him and not pay him and he thinks it isn't right.

He went as far to tell stories about times in his life ppl just took things from him just cuz they could and how he still thinks about it to this day. How he learned the importance of coming in between a man and his means of making money.

This has absolutely no comparison to ppl mad @ Dave's jokes and not liking them. That dude is reaching. So is anybody agreeing.

Also to keep it all the way 100, the ONLY reason Netflix took Chappelle show off is cuz they want to continue their business relationship with Dave for future work. It has nothing to do with Dave felt bad and Netflix agreed to stop. That's just the narrative they're kicking for good PR.

THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Don't got a damn thing in common with sensitive women and the LBGTQ+ community not liking jokes.

Lets be honest, Dave asked them to take it off cuz he doesn't get paid for it. He made that clear leading up to it saying how could they not know?

He broke it down clear as day, cuz he signed a contract these ppl can put his show anywhere without telling him and not pay him and he thinks it isn't right.

This has absolutely no comparison to ppl mad @ Dave's jokes and not liking them. That dude is reaching. So is anybody agreeing.

Also to keep it all the way 100, the ONLY reason Netflix took Chappelle show off is cuz they want to continue their business relationship with Dave for future work. It has nothing to do with Dave felt bad and Netflix agreed to stop.

THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Don't got a damn thing in common with sensitive women and the LBGTQ+ community not liking jokes.
Meh, I think you are wrong

But it is what it is though.

Watched about 14 episodes this weekend.

Man, green lighting white folks to say N-Word in the name of comedy will never make me chuckle at ALL.

Cool for it's time but some things don't age well for me.

I went a pretty even black and white school.

Weird lines to cover the district, you know about red lining but thats neither here or there.

I love this Dave but never got into his show or Half Baked Dave because of this.

Nah, that David Dennis Jr. dude got a fair point given Dave's framing of the situation.

He said in the video that they took it off just so he could feel better, and they went above and beyond.

That said again, I don't think Netflix did it out of the goodness of their hearts anyway.
Nah considering they have an existing, ongoing long term mutual financial situation it's definitely not as surface as guy's trying to bring it. It's one entity stole from me, ruined my reputation vs I didn't agree with a comedian.

He’s trying to turn it into “well now you see how it feels” Re: the LBGTQ “car” / offensive jokes controversy he had

“They didn’t ask about cancel culture or comedy they just took it down bc it made you feel bad”

when this is moreso about Dave not getting his royalties bc of ****ed up paperwork he signed in a desperate position and that being what “makes him feel bad” :lol:

he tryna mix the convos of big business and Netflix choosing Dave’s feelings over profit margins wit the convo about comedy and cancel culture and Dave being insensitive and continuing to tell Trans/LGBT jokes. Like on some “ah the tables have turned” lame *** **** :lol:.

Two completely different concepts and convos and on top of the fact that like you said Netflix is doing this more to stay in business wit Dave than as a good will gesture, which I’m not even mad at. Like Joe Budden wit the smoking indoors @ Complex lol, that needs to become the norm with us if we continue to control culture the way we do as consumers and creatives. Go out your way to make “us” feel comfortable we worth it.

But what’s most interesting is that in his mini special he says he wanted to bring the show back but can’t because of the name.

Idk bout yall but I’d watch the hell out of “Dave’s Show” / The Dave/David Show :lol:

Nah considering they have an existing, ongoing long term mutual financial situation it's definitely not as surface as guy's trying to bring it. It's one entity stole from me, ruined my reputation vs I didn't agree with a comedian.
-I acknowledge that Netlfix move is financially motivated. Trying to keep a profitable talent happy

-I said dude that a point given Dave's framing of what Netflix did

-I am saying that Dave himself, in the video he posted, framed it as Netflix doing it out of consideration of his feelings, not just the economics of the situation. So Dave expands the conversation into that territory, it is free game for some to draw parallels to David not being considerate of others' feelings when people took issue with some of his jokes.

I think Netflix made its move because of financial reasons first and foremost, but dude brought up Netflix considering his feelings too, he asked for a boycott, but he kinda opened the door.

-I acknowledge that Netlfix move is financially motivated. Trying to keep a profitable talent happy

-I said dude that a point given Dave's framing of what Netflix did

-I am saying that Dave himself, in the video he posted, framed it as Netflix doing it out of consideration of his feelings, not just the economics of the situation. So Dave expands the conversation into that territory, it is free game for some to draw parallels to David not being considerate of others' feelings when people took issue with some of his jokes.

I think Netflix made its move because of financial reasons first and foremost, but dude brought up Netflix considering his feelings too, he asked for a boycott, but he kinda opened the door.
I get that but I disagree, it's framed in joke/story form because he's a comedian and that's it's style, but essentially the weight of the subject matter is the money. He knows that. Not that he doesn't have a right to take issue with things previously said by Dave if that's how he operates, but this is a silly thing to hinge on to bridge to that conversation.

But what’s most interesting is that in his mini special he says he wanted to bring the show back but can’t because of the name.

Idk bout yall but I’d watch the hell out of “Dave’s Show” / The Dave/David Show :lol:
Yeah. I'm thinking he wanted to go elsewhere with it, maybe Netflix or somewhere else.

Probably really wanted the name though.

Should go with Dave Chappelle Presents....

why is this fool talking about “cancel culture” when this is a purely business/money/pay me for my intellectual property convo

Dude reaching hard. This tweet should say “Dave told a company to stop doing something because it didn’t feel good and they did it regardless of it ****ing up their profit margins”

I WAS waiting for the timepieces on how "Problematic " Chappelle Show was. I won't even lie man. :lol:

I get that but I disagree, it's framed in joke/story form because he's a comedian and that's it's style, but essentially the weight of the subject matter is the money. He knows that. Not that he doesn't have a right to take issue with things previously said by Dave if that's how he operates, but this is a silly thing to hinge on to bridge to that conversation.
Couple points:

First, It is not strictly about money for Dave. Dave is clearly and rightfully pissed about how he got played, how he feels about the situation plays a big part in the video. I think people see the financial aspect and are missing the point about keeping the same energy. Dave when he was criticized basically said that he is a comedian making jokes, he is not sorry for the things he said, he is sorry for how it might make someone feel, but it is what it is and people have to deal with it. And has gotten more hostile to critics of his comedy over time though. Which is cool, that is his right.

Now Dave has no legal recourse to get any extra royalties for Chappelle Show, none, he admits this. He said his agent even told him that. He asking for this boycott as a way to force Viacom's hand to do something they have no legal obligation to do. Basically by making sure the only way they can continue profit from the show is unless they do him courtesy (and I agree that they should) and give him his royalties. People also lump in consumer boycotts and pressuring partners to force companies' hands as cancel culture, and Dave is employing these same methods here.

Dave literally said Netflix took his feelings into consideration and went above and beyond, didn't sound like a joke when he said it. Even if that might not be the case, he said it was.

He asked people to boycott watching the show, that didn't seem like a joke to me.

While there is a financial aspect. Dave has no legal foot to stand on, so he is asking people to do him courtesies. Netflix by taking it off the air (which they obliged), viewers by not watching the show, Viacom for giving him his money (this he wants to force their hand to do though). Some of his viewers requested a courtesy from him, and he declined. Dave could have looked at it from an economic standpoint and said, well I don't want to lose potential fans for a stupid joke so I'l chill, but mans was like sorry, but that is comedy, gotta take it. Many got heated at his stance.

Now I can't speak for dude that wrote the tweet, but I am not saying it is a one-to-one comparison. Of course, there is nuance and differences between the two situations. But dude's are too hung up on the cancel culture part, kinda ignored the merits of the comedy part. How I read it that is when Dave was asked to do a courtesy, he declined, and he such and such reasons (those regarding merits of free expression in comedy and cancel culture going to far) whyhe declined and why he had an issue with his critics, fully accepting he might lose fans. Now Dave wanted a courtesy, and he's happy he got one, instead of Netflix being like "welp, we can't/shouldn't have to do that because you signed a contract" and risked losing Dave's next special. He is happy Netflix did that for him because he is clearly upset about all this too. So maybe he might reflect on how much doing that previous courtesy could have meant to people.

Actually, I think the criticism in the tweet is kinda misplaced. Should be aimed at all the people that twisted themselves in knots to act people had no right to be upset with some of Dave's jokes when Dave himself was much more understanding of the people that were offended by his jokes. Like the people that jump out the window to defend him completely ignored how sympathetic Dave was to folk he offended.

So I don't think this is about drawing a perfect parallel, there are much bigger issues involved in this situation, much bigger. But I just as a simple case of "you are not keeping the same energy". Dave got his reason why he isn't which are understandable, but, it is still clear he isn't on some you gotta deal with it steez. Can't fault someone for noticing that.

Last edited:
I find it incredibly naive if you think this is really about hurt feelings and the difference between Dave ignoring them and Netflix acquiescing to them.
I never said it was

But the fact remains, Dave brought his feelings. No one else did.

I never said it was

But the fact remains, Dave brought his feelings. No one else did.
Brought his feelings on top of the the clear financial concerns of the situation. That's why its not comparable.

Only natural to feel a certain way when you're being screwed over.

Brought his feelings on top of the the clear financial concerns of the situation. That's why its not comparable.

Only natural to feel a certain way when you're being screwed over.
Eh, things need not be a perfect one-to-one for you to be able to compare them though

Last edited:
Things to need to be perfect one-to-one for you to be able to compare them though
No but this barely has enough similarities for dude to make that comment of basically saying now you know how it feels to Dave in that specific situation.

If we just gonna dumb it down all the way and strip away key fact to just make it about Dave's feelings about being screwed over and ppl's hurt feelings about Dave's joke even then those ppl can make the simple decision of not listening to Dave Chappelle anymore. Dave can't do the same.

Back
Top Bottom