Charles Oakley calls out the Wizards

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/04/oakley_might_have_helped_prote.htmlhttp://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/04/oakley_might_have_helped_prote.html

Oakley would have helped protect LeBron
By Branson Wright

One of the many reasons Charles Oakley wanted to make a comeback this season, even at age 44, was to help provide some "protection" for LeBron James, as he did many years ago for Michael Jordan in Chicago.

Oakley, a graduate of John Hay High School, played 19 years in the NBA, mostly with the Bulls, Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks. His played one season with the Washington Wizards and most recently played seven games with the Houston Rockets in 2003-04. Oakley was one of the last enforcers in the NBA. His mere presence meant Jordan and Vince Carter -- when Oakley was in Toronto -- would not receive any harm from the opposition.

Or else.

"Guys didn't want to run into Oakley's screens, let alone make him mad and think they could run freely through the lane without any retaliation if they had committed a hard foul on Jordan or Carter," said Johnny Clark, former assistant director of player development for the Toronto Raptors. "The Wizards would not have made those hard fouls [on James] with Oakley [around], if he was with the Cavs. A lot of guys just don't want to deal with Oakley."

Since the Wizards don't have to deal with him, Stevenson hacked James in the first half during Game 4 when James went in for a layup. Stevenson knocked off James' headband, and the two players came close to a confrontation before being pulled apart.

Stevenson received a flagrant 1 foul for his effort. In Game 1, James drove hard to the basket and was whacked in the face by Andray Blatche, but there was no whistle. In Game 2, Brendan Haywood shoved James while he was in the air on a layup attempt. Haywood received a flagrant 2 and was ejected.

"None of that would have happened if I was playing because they would have got it the other way," Oakley said. "If [James] was fouled hard with me on the court, it would've been taken care of, no matter how many fines [NBA Commissioner] David Stern would've given me. I once told [Stern] that I have a job to do and he has a job to do, and my job is to do whatever I can to help my team win, including protecting my teammates."

Despite the hard fouls on James, so far, his teammates have not exactly retaliated and that made Oakley laugh.

"I guess they don't have anyone cut like that," said Oakley, about the Cavs' non-response for James. "But LeBron is big enough to get back at them, but they can't ask him to fight, score, sell tickets, sell popcorn and park cars, too. Somebody else has to do something."

During the postgame interview Sunday, James said the Wizards were trying to hurt him. At the Wizards' practice on Monday, Haywood mocked James when he puckered his face up like a baby and said to reporters, "Oooh, they're trying to hurt me!"

Haywood said James wears No. 23 because of Jordan and should act like it.

"Mike got fouled way worse than this," Haywood said to the media. "You know what I'm saying? Nobody is trying to hurt him. Everybody is trying to play basketball, trying to win, trying to play tough. Leave it alone."

Haywood added that he has never heard an NBA player claim another team was blatantly trying to hurt him like James said.

"Back in the day, you couldn't have said that just because of the nature of the game with the Bad Boy Pistons, the Knicks . . . you would have been seen as flat-out soft," Haywood said to reporters. "But that is how the game has changed. They are not about flagrant fouls or tough play. It's all about fluid motion and scoring a lot of points, so it's different. When I was growing up, you never heard that. I never heard Magic [Johnson] say it. Or [Jordan]. Or Larry [Bird]."

Oakley said he never heard so much pregame and postgame trash-talking in his 19 years as a player. Oakley scoffed at Stevenson's "overrated" claim. Oakley said it's also time for James to let his play do most of the talking.

"How can Stevenson call anyone overrated when he should be happy he's even in the league?" Oakley said. "LeBron should not stoop down to [the Wizards'] level. He's a superstar and will always be a superstar. LeBron shouldn't waste his time with them. Just play ball. Washington will be home soon, and if they have a problem with what I've said, I'm easy to find."

Charles Oakley
pimp.gif

Almost everything he said was right. It seems like it's Lebron .vs. Blatche, Jamison, Stevenson, and Haywood. It doesn't seem like Lebrons teammatesare supporting him that much.

Maybe he is going broke?

He has a point though, the Cavs don't really have an "enforcer" , Ben Wallace doesn't seem like he's up for it. Perhaps Varajao (sp) canbe that guy.

Despite the hard fouls on James, so far, his teammates have not exactly retaliated and that made Oakley laugh.

laugh.gif

Interviewer: What are your thoughts on James' teammates not really stepping up and having his back?

Oakley: ...........
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

"How can Stevenson call anyone overrated when he should be happy he's even in the league?" Oakley said. "LeBron should not stoop down to [the Wizards'] level. He's a superstar and will always be a superstar. LeBron shouldn't waste his time with them. Just play ball. Washington will be home soon, and if they have a problem with what I've said, I'm easy to find."

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

None of that would have happened if I was playing because they would have got it the other way," Oakley said. "If [James] was fouled hard with me on the court, it would've been taken care of, no matter how many fines [NBA Commissioner] David Stern would've given me. I once told [Stern] that I have a job to do and he has a job to do, and my job is to do whatever I can to help my team win, including protecting my teammates.
"

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Oak is that dude.

Back in the day he was the Knicks %%+***+ enforcer no one *+$@%# with Oak an the Knicks

Wallace was man enough to be an enforcer and start !+#+ when ron artest fouled him somewhat hard, he should be man enough now and protect his teammate

that is exactly what the NBA needs

no more of this soft wanna be players who just run their mouth

it just makes me more sick when I keep seeing dumb fans support soft players

Originally Posted by wwsindicate

He has a point though, the Cavs don't really have an "enforcer" , Ben Wallace doesn't seem like he's up for it. Perhaps Varajao (sp) can be that guy.

ya I'd like to see Wallace become an enforcer in the series, but you gotta realize what you can and can't do today. Today, if you look at someone acertain way, you get a tech. What was a regular foul back in Oak's day is a flagrant now, and what was a flagrant in his day is now a suspension + fine.
smh.gif

The current NBA seems like an entertainment product out of Disney more than a real game.
smh.gif
And the sad part about that is the players in general aremore talented now than they were 15-20 years ago, but quality of play ain't the same. And all this "talking" in the Wiz/Cavs series is ridiculousand has been from the beginning. It's nothing but a show
tired.gif

you can't make your new teammates like you right off the back....i would think they would be more inclined to come to his back, if they actually spent timewith him or liked him --- especially if they aren't "cut" like that... maybe you have that goon/enforcer who has you covered no matter what, butthat guy is only going to be able to do that only x amount of times in today's league.

How many people have to come out and back Lebron? Can that dude not stand up for himself? It's annoying

Oak was bad when he played. Those guys that started in the 70's-80's were the realness. They didn't take it. Watching those series was nuts. Someguys from the 90's tried to act like that but they were softees. Horry saying he was from the old school last year with the Nash bump made me laugh. Dudecame in early 90's. Those old school guys were fading out. He just thought he was old school because he is so old.

oak tree is a g. have been fan of his since his early bulls day... and who can forget his knick days with anthony mason....

laugh.gif
at the thought of andersen varajeo being an enforcer

I agree with the first 2 paragrphs (underlined) that he said.

What I don't get though is all these people coming to back LeBron & do the trash talking for him when LeBron himself doesn't get involved &just plays his game & keeps to himself. If the guy being aimed at with this overrated biz is letting it pass over, all these people should too.

Back
Top Bottom