Choosing the right size of shoes.

When you guys purchase basketball shoes, do you purchase your true size or do you go a half or maybe 1 full size up? I am a true size 8.5 but the shoe that I want to buy does not have size 8.5. Will the size 9 be too big to play basketball in? And also I am aware of the other factor of wearing 2 pairs of socks but I don't know if that will make a drastic change. I am concerned because I don't want my foot to be sliding inside the shoe. Any help is appreciated.

When you guys purchase basketball shoes, do you purchase your true size or do you go a half or maybe 1 full size up? I am a true size 8.5 but the shoe that I want to buy does not have size 8.5. Will the size 9 be too big to play basketball in? And also I am aware of the other factor of wearing 2 pairs of socks but I don't know if that will make a drastic change. I am concerned because I don't want my foot to be sliding inside the shoe. Any help is appreciated.

i'm a size 8.5 as well and i always buy my true size for bball no matter what, or at least the size that fits me best. for bball, i've yet to deviate from the nike brand so for bball shoes 8.5 fits me.
you can probably get away with going a half size up in a 9 depending on wide or long your feet are. as for myself, i wouldn't go a half size up because i don't want to make up for the extra room by tying the shoes tighter.
going a half size up for me would mean that i would get that front-to-back movement within the shoe that i DON'T want at all when balling.
i'm not a big fan of double-socking; i think almost everyone on NT will recommend the nike elite basketball socks for bball. you will only need to wear 1 pair at a time. i double-socked once and my foot kept sliding in the sock lol.

i'm a size 8.5 as well and i always buy my true size for bball no matter what, or at least the size that fits me best. for bball, i've yet to deviate from the nike brand so for bball shoes 8.5 fits me.
you can probably get away with going a half size up in a 9 depending on wide or long your feet are. as for myself, i wouldn't go a half size up because i don't want to make up for the extra room by tying the shoes tighter.
going a half size up for me would mean that i would get that front-to-back movement within the shoe that i DON'T want at all when balling.
i'm not a big fan of double-socking; i think almost everyone on NT will recommend the nike elite basketball socks for bball. you will only need to wear 1 pair at a time. i double-socked once and my foot kept sliding in the sock lol.

I see, the shoe that I might buy is the Reebok Answer Xiii's and I have never tried on a pair of Reeboks since the 4th grade. I don't know if those fit true to size or a little big. Maybe Ill just pass on them lol, don't want to buy them and then regret it. Thanks for the input

I see, the shoe that I might buy is the Reebok Answer Xiii's and I have never tried on a pair of Reeboks since the 4th grade. I don't know if those fit true to size or a little big. Maybe Ill just pass on them lol, don't want to buy them and then regret it. Thanks for the input

Also how much toe room should you have from the big toe to the end of the shoe.

Also how much toe room should you have from the big toe to the end of the shoe.

usually there's some space between my big toe and the end of the shoe, i guess enough to fit my index finger in that space.
you definitely don't want your toes to be touching the end of the shoe because that's a good way to stub your toes when playing.
your bet best is to go try on the pair of shoes in multiple sizes to see which size fits you best. that's if the shoe is at the store, of course.

usually there's some space between my big toe and the end of the shoe, i guess enough to fit my index finger in that space.
you definitely don't want your toes to be touching the end of the shoe because that's a good way to stub your toes when playing.
your bet best is to go try on the pair of shoes in multiple sizes to see which size fits you best. that's if the shoe is at the store, of course.

Every shoe, even within the same company, will fit a little differently. A Huarache in a size 9 won't fit the same as Hyperdunk or Kobe in a size 9. When it comes to shoes for sports it is always best to try them on first. These aren't Air Forces. You'll be pounding and grinding your feet inside these things and if you you have too much or too little room you're going to jack your feet up. The ideal amount of space between your toe and end of the shoe is about 1/4 of an inch. For most people this is about the thickness of the tip of your thumb (not the width). If you have too much room you'll be more prone to blisters and rolling of the ankles. Not to mention it'll probably feel a little clumsy as the shoe is larger than your body mechanics are used to handling.

Remember, double socking is your friend.

Every shoe, even within the same company, will fit a little differently. A Huarache in a size 9 won't fit the same as Hyperdunk or Kobe in a size 9. When it comes to shoes for sports it is always best to try them on first. These aren't Air Forces. You'll be pounding and grinding your feet inside these things and if you you have too much or too little room you're going to jack your feet up. The ideal amount of space between your toe and end of the shoe is about 1/4 of an inch. For most people this is about the thickness of the tip of your thumb (not the width). If you have too much room you'll be more prone to blisters and rolling of the ankles. Not to mention it'll probably feel a little clumsy as the shoe is larger than your body mechanics are used to handling.

Remember, double socking is your friend.

answers typically run a little wide on me. so try them on and double socking is recommended over here

answers typically run a little wide on me. so try them on and double socking is recommended over here

Normally a size 11 and still young.

I prefer shoes that are an inch bigger than my foot size. Man, I tell you, you must do this, too. This is effective.

Normally a size 11 and still young.

I prefer shoes that are an inch bigger than my foot size. Man, I tell you, you must do this, too. This is effective.

I wear my foot size. Everyones different you just gotta try on the shoe. Trial & error.

I wear my foot size. Everyones different you just gotta try on the shoe. Trial & error.

Originally Posted by allreds

Usually you should be able to fill out the .5 size up, if not with double socks, you could get some simple insoles/sockliners(either new, or from some old shoes), and slide 'em under/over the other sockliner, that should fill it out, if it's still sliding, some McDavids ankle wraps(they're cheap neoprene wraps) will surely close the fit, for me up to 1 full size(I'm a size 14).

Originally Posted by allreds

Usually you should be able to fill out the .5 size up, if not with double socks, you could get some simple insoles/sockliners(either new, or from some old shoes), and slide 'em under/over the other sockliner, that should fill it out, if it's still sliding, some McDavids ankle wraps(they're cheap neoprene wraps) will surely close the fit, for me up to 1 full size(I'm a size 14).

Back
Top Bottom