Christopher Nolan to direct WWII drama ‘Dunkirk’ (1st trailer is up)

3.5/5 for me.
Didn't care about any characters.
Action scenes were top notch.
Tension was there, but I walked out not feeling anything.

Whereas other films like hacksaw ridge felt like an emotional rollercoaster.

Hacksaw Ridge was amazing as well.

Saw Dunkirk in IMAX this afternoon and loved it. Never once was bored, especially because I knew going into it that it wasn't to be this gore/action-led war depiction.

Just watched it on IMAX 70mm. So immersive. Loved that the film never gave you time to breathe. Felt like I was in the frontlines.

Thank you Nolan 8)

Last edited:
Heard Chris Stuckmann say something that resonated with me.

"A film like Saving Private Ryan is about characters stuck in a terrible situation (war), Dunkirk is about war."

To some, I can see wanting that emotional connection to the characters, and usually I am on the same boat. Cannot pinpoint exactly what Nolan did with this film to make me not worry about caring about the characters as much, but it worked. A combination of directing, score, audio, and run time all played a factor which compensated for the little character development imo.

Nolan is just showing off his versatility..how many of y'all thought it was over when the fuel ran out ** I'm trying my best not to spoil anything

The film was a good film but the movie was not entertaining. For entertainment see Valerian... for a reflective experience it delivered.

Heard Chris Stuckmann say something that resonated with me.

"A film like Saving Private Ryan is about characters stuck in a terrible situation (war), Dunkirk is about war."

To some, I can see wanting that emotional connection to the characters, and usually I am on the same boat. Cannot pinpoint exactly what Nolan did with this film to make me not worry about caring about the characters as much, but it worked. A combination of directing, score, audio, and run time all played a factor which compensated for the little character development imo.

didnt see the movie but thats a damn good quote.

The film was a good film but the movie was not entertaining. For entertainment see Valerian... for a reflective experience it delivered.

giphy.gif

Opening scene in Dunkirk was so sick..with the flyers all up in the air

caught this movie over the weekend in 70mm imax.

:wow:

loved it. i was on edge the entire movie. definitely different from his previous films.

edit. i wanted to add that the score was/is amazing. i'm feeling anxious just listening to the soundtrack

Last edited:
Movie was good. Kinda felt like it was set up the way I would see something on history channel with the way they split it up with people on land, sea, and air.

Were parachutes not reliable back then? Didn't seem like the pilots wanted to use them. Left the movie wonderinf why the last pilot didn't use it when he was close to the troops and then ended up in a bad situation at the end.

Just saw it in IMAX 70mm. I've never been into war movies but this one I enjoyed from start to finish. I actually wanted to watch it again directly after it was finished. Might try and see it again in 70mm in the coming weeks.

Clearly did myself a disservice by catching it at my local wonky theater. Haven't been in a film like this in a while ive been on a CBM binge lately so it took me about 20min to get adjusted expectations wise.

Hans pulls through on the score and the cinematography I felt was still left me impressed (despite the crappy format i watched it on)
Definitely not for everyone, especially if they have some idea of Saving Private Ryan coming into it.

Saw the movie like a week or 2 ago now:

Dunkirk was really good 6.8/8

I wouldn't call it Nolan's best at all. That's some prisoner of the moment stuff.

I love and at the same time was annoyed that Nolan couldn't simply tell his story chronologically lol. I was lost when it said 1 week the mole, 1 hour the air, and 1 day at sea. I liked how most of it came together.

My favorite part was the young soldiers trying to finesse their way out. I also think the stuff with the commander (Brannagh's character) were really good too. The stuff on the boat could've been heartwarming and inspiring but the son, the friend and shellshocked soldier annoyed me.

The pilots were dope but too short. I also don't get why Hardy's character did that in the end.

The movie in one way is really about survival and escaping danger or an inevitable death situation in one way. Nolan captured it well.

My only real complaint is I was fine with Nolan dropping us right in the middle of the action but the score was trying too hard. 5 min in they got this tense music for enemy fighter pilots dropping bombs and that did not make me feel tense and immersed in the story. It just made me aware they were trying (too hard and too fast (that's what she said lol)) to make me feel that way. Overall the score was good though and after a while it gelled with the story almost perfecetly.

I finally caught this in IMAX last night, this wasn't much of a movie more like an experience. You were presented with a situation and then went for the ride. I enjoyed how little character development there was because in a time like that there was no room for it. Excellent work!

Movie had great visuals no question but it was just ok for me. Not one I'll be rushing back to see.

I only have ps4 I have 4K tv but don't think the ps4 is ultra hd compatible..guess I need the ps4 pro or a suped up bluray player

I feel you. I copped a cheap UHD player on BF for 100. Does the bare minimum but that’s all I need. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom