Christopher Nolan to direct WWII drama ‘Dunkirk’ (1st trailer is up)

tumblr_otd7158hYc1qcnm4eo1_1280.jpg

Had the pleasure of attending an early screening of "Dunkirk" at the Walter Reade Theater at the Lincoln Center this morning which was followed by a Q&A w/ Christopher Nolan.

Dunkirk is a masterpiece. Quite frankly the most detailed depiction of war I've ever seen on film. Immensely intense from start to finish. Also there's little to no gore or blood throughout the film. And the score by Hans Zimmer is absolutely wonderful.

I won't give away much but the film shows the war at Dunkirk in three different different parts, from land, sea and air. Nolan beautifully weaves between each setting whilst leaving you on the edge of your seat. Unfortunately, the screening wasn't in IMAX, which Nolan constantly recommended, so I plan on seeing it again this weekend on the biggest screen possible.

The Q&A was great, C. Nolan was greeted with a standing ovation. He said he started working on the film 20 years ago. Said the plane sequences were heavily influenced by George Lucas Star Wars and he said he's always wanted to make a James Bond movie. Hopefully that comes to fruition in the nearest future.

8/8

Yes, it's a perfect film.

Damn, was going to settle for Dolby Atmos but Arclight doesn't offer it, just 70mm.

I might actually have to see it on Universal City Walk for the true Imax but they're goddamn parkings like $20 these days.
It's $5 with movie validation. I gothere all the time. I plan to watch it again there since it's the only true 70mm around here unless you want to drive all the way to Ontario

Just got back from seeing this in IMAX tonight. UNBELIEVABLE movie. I was literally on the grip of my seat the entire time. Mind you, I just got off from a long day and work and usually get fairly sleepy. Not one second was I bored at all.

The cinematography was beautiful and the score that zimmer put together was so well crafted. I would highly recommend anyone watch this and do it in IMAX.

Just a heads up for anyone, I was a little confused by the storyline a little bit. Make sure you understand it's a perspective being shown from 3 different angles.

Last edited:
cant wait to watch this... The 7 min IMAX trailer before wonder woman looked so damn intense!!!

I love nolans films but this one was alright. Not the masterpiece some are making it out to be.

Movie didn't really vibe until 3/4 into the movie

great film I though, visual and sound was amazing, really gets you in there

not much dialog but so much emotion and you just feel it despite it not being gorey like other war films

and all packed into practically an hour and a half film, very impressive

plus I got a free hat lol
EoZmVuY.jpg

Wow..I am anti-spoiler so I will not give any full reviews..but the:

cinematography
music
Acting
Feels

Bravo..I'm biased AF..but Nolan is the GOAT

great film I though, visual and sound was amazing, really gets you in there

not much dialog but so much emotion and you just feel it despite it not being gorey like other war films

and all packed into practically an hour and a half film, very impressive

plus I got a free hat lol
EoZmVuY.jpg
what theatres gave out hats??? I'm jelly

I can already see this having more replay value than Nolan's previous film Interstellar.

The visual storytelling, score, acting were top notch. Technically a great film.

The aerial sequences in particular were fantastic.

Just got back from seeing it and wow. Great film. Visually it's beautiful and the score is awesome. The spitfire scenes are amazing. That defiant look standing next to the plane gave me goosebumps.

Just got back from seeing it ...

Honestly I found it extremely boring and repetitive the civilian boat story was by far the most interesting part about the movie story wise

Audio was ****ing amazing though

I was wondering about one week one day one hour .. but then it all came together and I was like :pimp:

3.5/5 for me.
Didn't care about any characters.
Action scenes were top notch.
Tension was there, but I walked out not feeling anything.

Whereas other films like hacksaw ridge felt like an emotional rollercoaster.

Back
Top Bottom