Coast Guard searching for missing boat with NFL players

Originally Posted by d0nt w0rry about it

source: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2...h-left-life-jackets-dri/
[h2]Schuyler: 'Marquis Cooper, Corey Smith Left Life Jackets, Drifted Out to Sea'[/h2]
Posted Mar 3rd 2009 5:50 PM by Shane Bacon (RSS feed)
Filed Under: NFL Rumors, NFL

Just minutes after the U.S. Coast Guard announced it would be suspending the search for three missing men -- including NFL players Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith -- in the Gulf of Mexico, the lone survivor, Nick Schuyler has allegedly told investigators a bizarre story about what occurred.

According to Schuyler, the man found clinging to the fishing boat on Monday, Cooper and Smith, gave up hope.
"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, is also still missing.
While this is the first thing Nick has been quoted as saying happened, one family member of the missing players isn't exactly sure how "together" he must be after such a traumatic experience.
Ray Sanchez, Cooper's cousin, said the Coast Guard told him the same thing, but cautioned against taking Schuyler's story as gospel at this point.

"We're not 100 percent sure where his head was at," Sanchez said. "He'd been through a lot."

The search ends at 6:30 PM ET on Tuesday.
frown.gif

this makes less and less sense

from being out that far from shore in that lil boat, to thinking u can swim to shore. after all them waves crashed and turned them every direction, there wasno way they could have known which direction to shore.

I take a boat to to Bahamas every summer, and when ur out at sea, unless u got a compass, forget about knowin where ur at or where ur going.

smh.gif
giving up hope. wow thats crazy,
Investigation is in order

Originally Posted by Rpappy6

I just hope they managed to make it to some unheard of island. I wouldn't want to be floating around for days and days.
Sharks dude... Im sure they wouldnt have been floating for long. And if that didnt happen, hypothermia would have gotten em.

So sad.

That's crazy. You go out, thinking your going to have a good time fishing with some friends, but you never make it back. I wonder what was going throughtheir heads.

[h2]Schuyler: 'Marquis Cooper, Corey Smith Left Life Jackets, Drifted Out to Sea'[/h2]

Just minutes after the U.S. Coast Guard announced it would be suspending the search for three missing men -- including NFL players Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith -- in the Gulf of Mexico, the lone survivor, Nick Schuyler has allegedly told investigators a bizarre story about what occurred.

According to Schuyler, the man found clinging to the fishing boat on Monday, Cooper and Smith, gave up hope.
"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, is also still missing.
While this is the first thing Nick has been quoted as saying happened, one family member of the missing players isn't exactly sure how "together" he must be after such a traumatic experience.
Ray Sanchez, Cooper's cousin, said the Coast Guard told him the same thing, but cautioned against taking Schuyler's story as gospel at this point.

"We're not 100 percent sure where his head was at," Sanchez said. "He'd been through a lot."

frown.gif

i have a hard time believing they would give up that easily

i know i wouldn't

Originally Posted by sinser13

Originally Posted by MBen32

is anyone else trying to imagine or grasp what it had to have been like being stranded in the gulf of mexico in the middle of night?
nerd.gif

Thinking about it just makes the story that much worse
tired.gif

frown.gif
That's so scary, RIP to the three guys.
Thats the scary part...just sitting there thinking whats going to happen

Its sad, Coopers dad been doing sports out here in Phoenix since god knows when..

we are all praying for him and his family..

eek.gif

that is absolutely insane.

i can't imagine being in that situation.

and being the family...being told they were going to stop searching for your son/brother, etc. even though they could still be alive...i couldn't handlethat.

I don't know but when I read that article I got goosebumps

I feel so like crappy right now

The fact that they just "gave up" these are strong dudes it most of been some intense stuff they were going through out there

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

blower ... i wanna hear from the one dude who survived ... anyone who has seen that dumb @%+ open water movie knows how them people went out ... i wonder if the guys just gave up or what ...

rip

i guess the movie was accurate

They must've been thinking they did something horrid to be in a situation like that. When i heard it first I didn't think it would be that serious, butnow most assumptions say they're gone
frown.gif

another question i have, how difficult would it have been for them to climb and sit on the top of the overturned boat?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

frown.gif

from being out that far from shore in that lil boat, to thinking u can swim to shore. after all them waves crashed and turned them every direction, there was no way they could have known which direction to shore.

I take a boat to to Bahamas every summer, and when ur out at sea, unless u got a compass, forget about knowin where ur at or where ur going.

smh.gif

Gunna.... delusions can kick in quickly if you lose hope.... out in that sun then COMPLETE darkness at night... u never know what type of state they werein.... just sad that since it was four of them they didnt try to keep each other sane...... terrible loss.....

it also shows how much the survivor cared about the others too...he lied and said they all had their life jackets on, so the coast guard would continue tosearch for them.

give up hope after 2-4 hours? that dont sound right...i know 2-4 hours of nothing but worrying can turn into forever but to give up that easily?...and it dontmake any sense that dudes would split up in a situation like this...you always gotta stick together

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

frown.gif

from being out that far from shore in that lil boat, to thinking u can swim to shore. after all them waves crashed and turned them every direction, there was no way they could have known which direction to shore.

smh.gif

Gunna.... delusions can kick in quickly if you lose hope.... out in that sun then COMPLETE darkness at night... u never know what type of state they were in.... just sad that since it was four of them they didnt try to keep each other sane...... terrible loss.....
Co-sign...it's a KNOWN fact that hypothermia and dehydration and severe stress can causedelusions. I don't think anybody here can talk about what they would have done. You never know unless put into that situation OR if you have been trainedto deal with conditions like these like Navy SEALS and Army Special Forces SOldiers that went through the Combat Divers Course... and even then it's nogurantee.

[table][tr][td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [td]
spacer.gif
[/td] [td]

[h1]Hypothermia[/h1]

Beware of the Symptoms

Initial Signs (Mild Hypothermia)
Bouts of shivering
Grogginess and muddled thinking
Breathing and pulse are normal

Danger Signs of Worsening Hypothermia
(Moderate Hypothermia)
Violent shivering or shivering stops
Inability to think and pay attention
Slow, shallow breathing
Slow, weak pulse

Signs of Severe Hypothermia
Shivering has stopped
Unconsciousness
Little or no breathing
Weak, irregular or non-existent pulse
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Co-sign...it's a KNOWN fact that hypothermia and dehydration and severe stress can cause delusions. I don't think anybody here can talk about what they would have done. You never know unless put into that situation OR if you have been trained to deal with conditions like these like Navy SEALS and Army Special Forces SOldiers that went through the Combat Divers Course... and even then it's no gurantee.

Hypothermia training is no joke, makes you just want to give up PERIOD.
tired.gif

Damn, I was hoping for a miracle.

Such a sad story, I pray i never find my self in any open water like that. Scary as hell,
smh.gif

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

frown.gif

smh.gif

Gunna.... delusions can kick in quickly if you lose hope.... out in that sun then COMPLETE darkness at night... u never know what type of state they were in.... just sad that since it was four of them they didnt try to keep each other sane...... terrible loss.....
this part i can't even imagine, i wouldn't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom