College a scam ? College not what it used to be good vid

I wish college was more like an apprenticeship...skip the rest of the bull crap you don't need to know and get your hands dirty.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

Said this ever since last year...

College is the biggest scam that our society has pulled on us. Our most successful people didn't even go to school. Spend all that money to go to school, just to get out of school and not be able to get a job, and once we do, we have to use part of that job to pay off that tremendous debt, and what not.

Honestly, if it were up to me, If I were lecturing students, and this is taboo, but I would encourage them not to go to college as much as follow their passion, there hearts. You only live once, and there isn't any jobs out here, why not do what you love and want to do?

To this day I haven't found a student who is in college that didn't feel like on some level, that it was a waste of time, and that they weren't really learning everything.
I find myself thinking this way more and more each day. M heart really isnt in school, and I feel like Im here, just because I feel like I have to be, honestly. All the money spent on classes could've went to following my dream of being a race car driver and going to racing school.

But with college, its hard to see a "decent" life without having a degree under your belt. So its like you're kind of forced to take that route as a safety blanket of sorts.
http://www.goaheadtakethe...ets-professional-racing/

This might change your mind. ^

Didn't read anything in this thread or watch the video but I want to share my thoughts on the topic.

I believe college is a waste of time and money only to those that are not motivated to work or for those that aren't getting anything educationally from it. College should be a time and place where you are afforded the time and resources to grow. It should be a time and place for you to expand your knowledge and experiences. That is why I don't understand why people skip classes, do the MINIMUM amount of work to get by, take classes they are not interested in, or work two jobs while going to school. If you're not going to be able to dedicate yourself to your studies, what's the point? If you don't have the time to commit, you're wasting your time.

For those that are actually interested in what they're learning and have the time to dedicate to it, college is invaluable. These past 4 semesters have been the most enriching experience of my life. I am not in school for a grade or to land a career. I'm in school to learn things I would not be able to efficiently learn outside of school. I'm in school for the community of like minded people. I'm in school for the time to practice and hone my skills.

The bottom line is, regardless of whether you're going to school or not... be passionate about what you want to do. Dedicate the time and money to becoming who YOU want to be. Maybe college isn't for you but I do believe that for a lot of people it can be invaluable for helping them find what they truly love.

College is the biggest scam that our society has pulled on us. Our most successful people didn't even go to school. Spend all that money to go to school, just to get out of school and not be able to get a job, and once we do, we have to use part of that job to pay off that tremendous debt, and what not.

You can't compare the average student to the likes of Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs. They have talents and skills many people will never even dream of having.

They didn't go to school because they knew what they were going to do. They had a venture, a product that they were ready to put their entire life into. You think they just said "screw the system, I'm dropping out"? They dropped out because they had something better waiting for them, something many people will never have, whether it's because they don't have the motivation, the drive or the intelligence.

How many people do you know have the ability to form a dynasty like those people? And how many of those people that you know, have the motivation and ambition to do so? Most people don't want that kind of success more than they want to "be cool", or "look fly" or even sleep an extra hour.

I'm not saying that people don't have the potential to replicate their successes. But if you think following their paths without a plan "just because" is a good idea, that will be bad for many, many people. Those people are not average students.

Originally Posted by scshift

You can't compare the average student to the likes of Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs. They have talents and skills many people will never even dream of having.

They didn't go to school because they knew what they were going to do. They had a venture, a product that they were ready to put their entire life into. You think they just said "screw the system, I'm dropping out"? They dropped out because they had something better waiting for them, something many people will never have, whether it's because they don't have the motivation, the drive or the intelligence.

How many people do you know have the ability to form a dynasty like those people? And how many of those people that you know, have the motivation and ambition to do so? Most people don't want that kind of success more than they want to "be cool", or "look fly" or even sleep an extra hour.

I'm not saying that people don't have the potential to replicate their successes. But if you think following their paths without a plan "just because" is a good idea, that will be bad for many, many people. Those people are not average students.
For emphasis.
And the list of successful people that DID go to college is vastly larger than the one of those that didn't. Let's be serious 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I wish college was more like an apprenticeship...skip the rest of the bull crap you don't need to know and get your hands dirty.

I agree. Not just college, I wish high school was more like that.

I know some people are undecided with what they want to do in life even after college, but for those that do, they should be able to get a head start on their future path. Some classes I really didn't need - Earth Science, ALL English classes, Ancient Civilizations, Biology could have been replaced with classes with things I was interested in - Accounting, foreign languages, Business Management, Economics, Statistics, whatever.

I don't get why they insist on making everyone learn the same curriculum when it's CLEAR people will be splitting off in various paths (and some already know which path they want).

Originally Posted by kimahrioftheronsotribe

Said this ever since last year...

Honestly, if it were up to me, If I were lecturing students, and this is taboo, but I would encourage them not to go to college as much as follow their passion, there hearts. You only live once, and there isn't any jobs out here, why not do what you love and want to do?

To this day I haven't found a student who is in college that didn't feel like on some level, that it was a waste of time, and that they weren't really learning everything.
I find myself thinking this way more and more each day. M heart really isnt in school, and I feel like Im here, just because I feel like I have to be, honestly. All the money spent on classes could've went to following my dream of being a race car driver and going to racing school.

But with college, its hard to see a "decent" life without having a degree under your belt. So its like you're kind of forced to take that route as a safety blanket of sorts.
http://www.goaheadtakethe...ets-professional-racing/

This might change your mind. ^

I guess I'm going back to school
tired.gif

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

Originally Posted by Peja4Prez

When it comes down to it, for the majority of us, a degree is a foot in the door. It's the only way into most top corporations, like it or not.

5ocui0.jpg

roll.gif
exactly

people dont follow their dreams. how many people do what their passion is?

how many people would become doctors/lawyers if they earned the same salary as garbage men

Originally Posted by 59 Piffy

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

Originally Posted by Peja4Prez

When it comes down to it, for the majority of us, a degree is a foot in the door. It's the only way into most top corporations, like it or not.

roll.gif
exactly

people dont follow their dreams. how many people do what their passion is?

how many people would become doctors/lawyers if they earned the same salary as garbage men

At the same time though, if everyone only did what they loved, society would be a dump.

No one would want to do the boring, grimy jobs like garbage men, janitors, accountants, secretaries, etc. Everyone would only do what they loved and that would probably be worse.

But it's crazy how people just want to do something for money. Like you said, how many of these kids trying to be doctors would even think about being an MD if they didn't make 6 figures or their parents pushed them to be one? You could make anyone do anything with some amount of money.

The way college is set up is a scam. If Gen Ed's were eliminated most students would finish school in 2-3years with less debt.

They should set it up like overseas. In my country, you start taking classes towards your major in HS and when u get to college, you only take classes that pertain to your major/goals. College can be and usually is completed before 4 years. And all states schools are free including college but of course private schools offer a better education.

If you dont need a degree to do what you want to do then why waste the time and money.
Unfortunetly for me, I want to be an accountant. So school is necessary but if I could do an apprenticeship and skip all that other BS I would.

Originally Posted by carbon16

The way college is set up is a scam. If Gen Ed's were eliminated most students would finish school in 2-3years with less debt.

Word, I could do school no problem if it wasnt for gen ed courses.

This
mad.gif

I would have graduated this quarter,  but I have residency units to complete as a requirement.. i've been there for only 1.5 years and managed to acquire 17k on my student loan's tab. 

and every quarter they charge me this. 

Health insurance is a requirement (went up $100 since last year) and we STILL have CO-PAY to fork out. 

This doesn't include textbooks, food, rent, and all that good stuff. I got bamboozled
tired.gif
. Shoulda thought this college thing through before I came. I think college is for those who are passionate for something, you can always go back to college and get a degree. I would advise those who are contemplating attending to REALLY think it through. This video was on point. 
pimp.gif

[h3]Cost of Attendance[/h3]
The basic formula used to calculate the cost of attendance for the 2011-12 academic year is as follows:
[table][tr][th=""]Expense[/th][th=""]Amount[/th][/tr][tr][td]Tuition[/td][td]$41,592[/td][/tr][tr][td]Fees (health $200, etc.)[/td][td]$391[/td][/tr][tr][td]Room and Board[/td][td]$12,780*[/td][/tr][tr][td]Books and Supplies[/td][td]$1,797[/td][/tr][tr][td]Personal Expenses[/td][td]$1,845[/td][/tr][tr][td]Loan Fee[/td][td]$24[/td][/tr][tr][td]Transportation[/td][td]Varies*[/td][/tr][tr][td]Cost of Attendance[/td][td]$58,429

[/td][/tr][/table]

Don't be fooled though; only the rich kids pay that. I, for one, received a lot of free money via grants and scholarships. Most of my loans were subsidized as well. 100% financial need met is a staple of my alma mater's policy. At places like Princeton and Harvard, it's even better. If your family makes less than 6 figures, cost of attendance is almost guaranteed to be cheaper than one's flagship state school. 

\

EDIT: Didn't see it was every quarter. That is not a nothing bill. My bad. 

Originally Posted by FlacoBey

This
mad.gif
I'm so lucky I took AP classes was able to score high enough to get credit.  It honestly saved me two whole years.  It really makes me mad because it does not help yet they are charging so much.  I had to sit through some Native American class...I enjoyed it but it did not help me at all. 

I also am required to take 2 electives but they have to be unrelated to my major.  Anyone else have to deal with something like this?  It is the principle of the matter - electives should be unrestricted. 

So for any high school student, you should really try to take as many AP classes or dual enrollment with a CC to save time and money. 

Back
Top Bottom