College Degree Value Decreasing

Is college worth it

• Yes (Connections, social life, experience, etc)

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • No (Debt, college isn’t for everyone, etc)

Votes: 33 55.9%

• Total voters
no one ever talks about this but do you think part of it has to do with your work ethic between these rates and not your intellect?

like my boy has two masters and is paid but he just works really hard, dude isn’t a genius or anything. Just a hard *** worker.

i think another thing people don't talk about is the skill of working hard (motivation, drive, ability to sustain either one until you reach your goal). being able to "work hard" isn't easy.

Last edited:
Got it. I’m a little worried about not even getting interviews without a degree but I guess as long my projects are good/ resume worthy then I should be getting them (post-bootcamp). Any other advice for IT positions that don’t require degrees from top schools? Thanks again.

Understandable. It definitely doesn't happen often (especially with the big orgs like FB/Google/Amazon/Apple/etc) but theres nothing wrong with breaking in at a startup or smaller tech company and working your way towards a company you want to work for.

IT position, no dice. I know most of the big tech companies have one form of IT support they just name it all differently.

no one ever talks about this but do you think part of it has to do with your work ethic between these rates and not your intellect?

like my boy has two masters and is paid but he just works really hard, dude isn’t a genius or anything. Just a hard *** worker.
Definitely but I would say the fact that your homeboy has 2 master’s degrees shows he has both a certain level of intellect and hard work without even knowing him.

high intelligence is prob one of the holy grail traits but it means a lot less when you don't have the ability to work hard (enough) to get **** done

i think another thing people don't talk about is the skill of working hard (motivation, drive, ability to sustain either one until you reach your goal). being able to "work hard" isn't easy.

people stay stagnant too, which falls into the hard work category I guess. But you can’t let the unknown scare you. Like learning a new trade or new job.

My son legit asked me does he have to go to college a few months ago. Since his mother is (nursing) and I didn’t. I told him in short, **** no. I’m all for trade schools and teaching u the ropes of working contacts and who u know. Unless what he absolutely needs to go to school for what he wants to do, I’d say don’t do it. I got 1 side of my family who all got degrees and 1 side that all got trades/jobs..... the trade/job side makes/made more.

This. Blaze your own path. The Drs/pharmacist are winning in my family but we have all levels covered. Phds, masters, bachelors, drop outs... all are doing well in their own ways.

people stay stagnant too, which falls into the hard work category I guess. But you can’t let the unknown scare you. Like learning a new trade or new job.
Just talked about the illusion of staying stagnant. There’s no such thing as doing nothing and staying stagnant. You actually have to work JUST to stay stagnant. This is what piss people off. You only improve if you constantly challenge yourself. You can work all day and not improve.If you stop doing something you only get worse. “I’ve done this for ____ years!” means nothing. You can be as good as the day you started 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom