College Degree Value Decreasing

Is college worth it

• Yes (Connections, social life, experience, etc)

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • No (Debt, college isn’t for everyone, etc)

Votes: 33 55.9%

• Total voters
Doesn’t have to.

Less than 1 percent of students get full ride scholarships. I touched roughly 50k in scholarship money my time in undergrad and still came out with debt. Granted I'm not drowning and will have it paid off before I'm 30 but it would be neglectful of me to think that opportunity is there for every student because it isn't.

https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/resources/full-ride-scholarships/#:~:text=Less than 1 percent of,it is to earn one.

33% of College students dropout each year and 57% take 6 years or more to graduate. Whether you graduate or not you still have to pay back those loans and the longer it takes you to graduate (unless you're enrolled part time) due to failed courses, major or school changes etc means even more debt.

Last edited:
Less than 1 percent of students get full ride scholarships. I touched roughly 50k in scholarship money my time in undergrad and still came out with debt. Granted I'm not drowning and will have it paid off before I'm 30 but it would be neglectful of me to think that opportunity is there for every student because it isn't.

https://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org/resources/full-ride-scholarships/#:~:text=Less than 1 percent of,it is to earn one.
Your argument against not having to go into large debt is that full ride scholarships don’t happen often? I mean school isn’t free but it doesn’t have to send you into insurmountable debt. I’m sure there’s a middle ground to that.

y’all complaining about the cost of school and pay resale for cheap China made shoes?

They’re absolutely higher education. Not even debatable
He’s just wrong. That’s all. Won’t even argue with “you don’t need to go to school to become a pilot”.

Say's who? You?

Higher education is considered getting awarded a degree. College and universities didn't always offer these "trainings" until people started electing not to go to collage and learn a trade.

But to call Pilots school higher education is just plain wrong. But this is NT. Y'all can have this one. What y'all eat don't make me **** :lol:

Say's who? You?

Higher education is considered getting awarded a degree. College and universities didn't always offer these "trainings" until people started electing not to go to collage and learn a trade.

But to call Pilots school higher education is just plain wrong. But this is NT. Y'all can have this one. What y'all eat don't make me **** :lol:
You’re just spitting nonsense now. When you LEARN something you are being EDUCATED. Educational training outside of highschool is considered higher education. A degree is a form of certificate. When you go to a trade school, vocational school, or career tech you’ll also receive a certificate. The two being looked at as equal is subject for debate with employers. Again, you just want to argue a point you yourself shot down.

“You don’t have to go to school to be a _______. You just have to apply, sit in a building for years,, pass tests, gain certification, and graduate from the program. Totally not school”

:rofl:

Your argument against not having to go into large debt is that full ride scholarships don’t happen often? I mean school isn’t free but it doesn’t have to send you into insurmountable debt. I’m sure there’s a middle ground to that.

y’all complaining about the cost of school and pay resale for cheap China made shoes?

No my argument is that while attending college in the year 2021 students cannot afford "years of finding themselves" it's financially irresponsible to tell these kids to go to college and figure out what they want to do with their life. UNLESS you're doing it on someone else dime which is rare that's why I included the full-ride statistic.

A college degree is supposed to be an investment. If the prices to go to school goes up, that means that means the vast majority of students will have to take out more money in loans. The bigger the loan amount the longer it will take to pay off and more money they will be paying of interest. Investments that don't recoup your money and make you profit are bad investments.

A lot of campuses were virtual this year or some form of hybird situation. Universities still charged full-price. That's not right.

You’re just spitting nonsense now. When you LEARN something you are being EDUCATED. Educational training outside of highschool is considered higher education. A degree is a form of certificate. When you go to a trade school, vocational school, or career tech you’ll also receive a certificate. The two being looked at as equal is subject for debate with employers. Again, you just want to argue a point you yourself shot down.

“You don’t have to go to school to be a _______. You just have to apply, sit in a building for years,, pass tests, gain certification, and graduate from the program. Totally not school”

:rofl:

Sure, OK 👍

The cost of "education" to become a commercial pilot is costly, long and competitive as it should be. These trade schools also scam poor students with promises of guaranteed employment after completion.

Trade school isn't always a less costly or safe alternative, and even worse it severely limits your possibilities for employment than getting a well rounded education.

No my argument is that while attending college in the year 2021 students cannot afford "years of finding themselves" it's financially irresponsible to tell these kids to go to college and figure out what they want to do with their life. UNLESS you're doing it on someone else dime which is rare that's why I included the full-ride statistic.

A college degree is supposed to be an investment. If the prices to go to school goes up, that means that means the vast majority of students will have to take out more money in loans. The bigger the loan amount the longer it will take to pay off and more money they will be paying of interest. Investments that don't recoup your money and make you profit are bad investments.

A lot of campuses were virtual this year or some form of hybird situation. Universities still charged full-price. That's not right.
Yes you’re correct. That “finding yourself” process doesn’t need to happen while in college. THAT is what people don’t understand. I don’t order the whole menu to find out what I want to eat.

And for the virtual comment, agreed as well. We can agree that this is an event that was unforeseen and most likely won’t happen again though. I know i paid full damn price for 3 semesters

Last edited:
Yes you’re correct. That “finding yourself” process doesn’t need to happen while in college. THAT is what people don’t understand. I don’t order the whole menu to find out what I want to eat.

mad for the virtual comment, agreed as well. We can agree that this is an event that was unforeseen and most likely won’t happen again though. I know i paid full damn price for 3 semesters

Exactly, I just feel like there was a narrative put in all these kids heads that "I have to go to college right after high school" but no one ever sat down and talked to them about what they were enrolling at college for.

Take a gap year, stack your money, go to a CC and get some credit's you can transfer over once you know what you want to major in. But once you step on that 4 year university campus you should know exactly what you are going for.

no one ever sat down and talked to them about what they were enrolling at college for.

Just like college can be done wrong, so can high school. Imo THAT is time time to find yourself and see what you want to do. People treat it as a fashion show and graduate thinking life will somehow “call” them

Trade school seems scammy. Not saying that all are but plenty are.

you don’t need a trade school most the time. Just do an apprenticeship through the union and get a job and paid to learn.
Some are

How many kids went to school to be a music producer? Out there charging kids hundreds of thousands of dollars

Imagine going to school for that thinking you’re going to make it if you weren’t already. :lol:

Pressure to go to college is unreal though, especially at a young age.

It'll seem like all your friends are having the time of their lives while you're stuck at a dead end job you hate with no money.

Trade school seems scammy. Not saying that all are but plenty are.

you don’t need a trade school most the time. Just do an apprenticeship through the union and get a job and paid to learn.

Yea we are talking about colleges being scams when many trade schools are proven scams word to Trump U.

Imagine going to school for that thinking you’re going to make it if you weren’t already. :lol:
I know a guy in debt for the rest of his life because of that BS. Claimed it was worth it for the “leg in”. Sad part is everything he learned is completely out of date now. Talk about useless

his cell phone would go off multiple times a day from Sally May or whatever that debt collections thing is :lol:

I think people need to understand this tech hustle while the $ is still there (and it should be for a while..)

admin folks make over 100k MINIMUM with little working experience

folks who manage calendars make 95k MINIMUM straight outta college

“Program managers” with no hard science skills make 175-200k MINIMUM

theres avenues to get there like linkedin (via contract work) and then transitioning full time. Companies love poaching talent from competitors. With the advent of the pandemic, it makes it easier to pursue this kind of work without having to move to the Bay/seattle/ny/austin

Y’all make it sound so easy to flourish without a degree.. data says different
1621966221270.png

1621966254787.jpeg

1621966295871.jpeg

Y’all make it sound so easy to flourish without a degree.. data says different
1621966221270.png

1621966254787.jpeg

1621966295871.jpeg

Yea I was entertaining everything in here knowing the numbers clearly show an advantage to having a college degree even accounting for student debt it's still a great investment if you are smart about it.

Go to the best school that caters to your career goals that you can afford is my motto.

The regressive states really skew that data. West Virginia might as well be a different country as far as wages and benefits are concerned vs Minneapolis.

jersey mikes will pay you 15 an hour here. Nurses probably make 15 an hour there.

I agree, there is a lot that was learned in high school that people just ignored, because they have been fed this mentality that none of it applies to the real world. Grammar, discipline to turn in assignments on time, basic math, learning how to conduct sound research (not youtube vids), the basics of the hard sciences are lessons that could have at least helped prevent the general dumbification of America
This!
Bottom line is a lot of what is listed here has some component of a "college equivalent" training plus certification exams which can be expensive.
And with some of these jobs, there is a physical component that is very important and often ignored. The potential for career-ending accidents/injuries is higher. ATC and pilots can't fly/direct air traffic past a certain age.

Few of these professions have older workers, and the ones who last have gone through the process of obtaining the aforementioned certs/continuing education and gave themselves the ability to move up the ranks.

The way I see it, there's no way around formal studies to future proof one's ability to earn an income.

Back
Top Bottom