College Dropouts = How's life right now?

3 years since graduation im at the halfway point........ugh i need the motivation to get to that goal!

Originally Posted by fivefivenine

Originally Posted by BgL2687

I was just like you when I was in high school. I made pretty good paper and that ruined me. I got so use to the lifestyle I had no motivation to go to college. I went to please my parents, but now that I'm almost done it feels good.
I have motivation I really want to go asap, I just need to buy a car first, I'm broke only have 2 G's saved right now, I did everything you can possibly think of from selling every drug to pimpin' to bank fraud, the good ol' days lol, Did you stay in high school though? I dropped out and was planning to get my GED soon.
nerd.gif

Why do people do this on the Internet?
eyes.gif

Show me a college dropout who is making 6 figures without coming from a loaded family, and I will show you an exception to the rule.

Lol yeah youre exactly right, every successful college dropout is an exception to the rule. Bravo good sir, you must have prepared this conclusion in yourcollege courses? A+

I think that college drop outs may be the smartest among us. If you have parents or a scholarship or the military paying for school, go for it, it can onlyhelp. If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are makinga big mistake financially. Higher education is a bubble, when the relative returns continue to diminish and costs continue to rise on an asset, the bubble isgrowing.

Higher education has been over sold and government largess and easy credit, along with promises of tremendous payoffs, all in concert with dire threats of howlife will be without a degree, have combined to have simply too many people going to college. Meanwhile, too few people are going into skilled occupation, not"ditch digging" or "flipping burgers" but being the people who make our society and our myriad modern machines run smoothly and make ourall of our lives more comfortable and enjoyable.

The conventional wisdom that the person in college is destined for long term success, greater enough in magnitude relative to his less educated brethren, tojustify any and all costs of obtaining that education, is simply obsolete.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

^^^ Stephen Glass. *smh*
laugh.gif

Shattered Glass is a dope movie, though.

Anyway, I guess I can now be labeled a college dropout.

School has never been my niche, but I always planned on going to college. I've battled back and forth, going, not going, and I've finally decided once and for all that it just isn't right for me. Not because it is difficult, but because it just isn't an environment I can succeed in; I'm not that kind of person

I ALWAYS told myself I wouldn't be one of those dudes who worked a 9-5 job, but that's what it's going to be for now.

I have too much to say and too much to contribute to this world to stay down, though; I'm not worried.

I plan on being a writer, if that matters. I don't need school to teach me how to do that; I already excel at it, and the growing I need to do, I can do on my own. My only concern is what the publishing process is like. Will a publisher love my work, but not publish it because I don't have a degree? I guess I'll just have to be that much better than the college graduate.

Check out lulu.com. I am currently writing a book and I am going to self publish it. It is something I am doing for fun... not for the money. Your book can bemade available for sale on their site for an 80/20 split, there is no up-front cost, and you retain complete editiorial and copyright control of your book. Youcan set the own price of your book. So if you charge 20 dollars for your book, you will pocket 16 dollars for every book sold. All the author has to do is geton there grind and promote their book. When I started this process I was thinking that I was just going to have about 20 books printed out to give to friendsand family. Then I learned I wouldn't have to pay anything to have my book available for sale. So what I'm going to do is promote my book on myspace,facebook, twitter, and see where it takes me from there. Hope that helps you.

Originally Posted by GTEK

I was just like you when I was in high school. I made pretty good paper and that ruined me. I got so use to the lifestyle I had no motivation to go to college. I went to please my parents, but now that I'm almost done it feels good.
I have motivation I really want to go asap, I just need to buy a car first, I'm broke only have 2 G's saved right now, I did everything you can possibly think of from selling every drug to pimpin' to bank fraud, the good ol' days lol, Did you stay in high school though? I dropped out and was planning to get my GED soon.
nerd.gif

eyes.gif

Do what? Is it really that hard to believe he did that #+@$? It ain't like you know that man..

Originally Posted by Thousandaire

nerd.gif

eyes.gif

Do what? Is it really that hard to believe he did that #+@$? It ain't like you know that man..

QFT... There is plenty of people who have done/do that ^&$# on a daily basis... I dropped out of college in the middle of my 1st summester. Mom dukes isdisabled (17 back surgeries) and at that point in my life it was watch my mother struggle to survive and go to school or get out there and take care ofbusiness. Mom comes first so I dropped out and started working and doing whatever I could to help her out... Fortunately I have always kept a good job. Now Iwork for a Pharmaceutical Company and make good money. The youngest person in the office making more money than the people that have been here 20 years. Alsothey promote within our company so there is great opportunity for advancement. I could see myself in moving up within the next couple years. Life is great! Gota daughter due in October. Moms is doing better
pimp.gif
. Honestly I can'tcomplain at all.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are making a big mistake financially.
Rexanglorum wrote:
If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are making a big mistake financially.
Rexanglorum wrote:
I had to quote that 3x for STRONG emphasis...

roll.gif
socluis90 wrote:

Originally Posted by richKarlmarx

things were tough in the beginning, but once i got my feet on the ground, things picked up pretty quickly

lol so now you're a college dropout?
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This dude has serious identity issues.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I think that college drop outs may be the smartest among us. If you have parents or a scholarship or the military paying for school, go for it, it can only help. If you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars that you do not have to get a measly bachelors degree, you must either love learning or you are making a big mistake financially. Higher education is a bubble, when the relative returns continue to diminish and costs continue to rise on an asset, the bubble is growing.

Higher education has been over sold and government largess and easy credit, along with promises of tremendous payoffs, all in concert with dire threats of how life will be without a degree, have combined to have simply too many people going to college. Meanwhile, too few people are going into skilled occupation, not "ditch digging" or "flipping burgers" but being the people who make our society and our myriad modern machines run smoothly and make our all of our lives more comfortable and enjoyable.

The conventional wisdom that the person in college is destined for long term success, greater enough in magnitude relative to his less educated brethren, to justify any and all costs of obtaining that education, is simply obsolete.

Let's say these people don't want to be plumbers, electricians, or join any other professional trade, what then?

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Show me a college dropout who is making 6 figures without coming from a loaded family, and I will show you an exception to the rule.

Show me how many Americans with degrees are making six figures.

This is how it breaks down for non college graduates.
If you plan on pursuing your own livelihood (your own business) then the lack of a degree will not hinder your efforts.
If you don't plan on working for yourself then not having a degree will become a problem.

The 3 guys in my neighborhood who I know that own multi million dollar construction and electrical contracting companies don't have degrees.

TH0MAS CR0WN wrote:
REX, I've always wondered what University you went to, I'm sure you majored in Econ right?

I double majored in History and Economics and California State University, Northridge. I graduated in 2008.

Let's say these people don't want to be plumbers, electricians, or join any other professional trade, what then?

Like Wawa said, work for yourself, be it in a trade or in owning a restaurant or a bar or retailing. Obviously, plumbing, being a car mechanic or a subcontractor or contractor are the most common examples of viable careers for people without degrees and entrepreneurship is considered the most lucrative pathfor those who did not graduate college but there are quite few options and people should consider that before committing to massive student debts to get a BAor a BS, which guarantees absolutely nothing.

Again, if your parents can pay for all of it, the military or some sort of scholarship pays for it or if you have a very clear plan to major in something thatcan get you into a very remunerative field and/or you have a plan to graduate from graduate or professional school, you should not rush into college andconsider a university education the default. That is the problem for many kids with limited means, they are scared into believing that college is the onlyoption bu tat the same time they are being told that a college degree, from any school in any subject is superior to all other options and that it is sosuperior that one need not worry about ever incurring large amounts of student debt. To top it all off, many kids are led to believe that private universityeducation is better than public when there are many private schools that are decidedly ordinary but cost a multiple of what it cost to attend a public schoolor similar or even greater caliber.

Once again, higher education is a bubble that is similar to housing. It is being oversold, people were told that they must try to own a home as soon aspossible, they were told that the alternative to owning a home was to be permanently shut out of society, the attitude was that one was not a full fledgedadult until one paid a mortgage, the consensus was that given the ghastly alternatives and guaranteed returns on the investment that no amount f debt was toomuch to get in on the game. The exact same policies, habits, attitudes, believes and hysteria that caused so many to plunge head first into housing, only todrown in debt and low or negative return to justify it. As has been the case with housing, those who started off poor and were simply doing what"experts" and others in position of trust told them to do, who are getting damaged the most by all of this.

nerd.gif

eyes.gif

why not? i already got caught for some stuff and got away with everything else.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Thousandaire

nerd.gif

eyes.gif

Fall back polo boy. If I ever done the things he have claim to done I would def not be dry snitching on myself over the intertnet.

Well, my mom is making 6 figures with no degree but if she didnt teach herself computer programming and live during the computer boom then the story might be alittle different. Plus she always tells me that if she had a degree she would be making A LOT more.

My brother is nearly 20 years older than me and is a college dropout. We both work for a major communications company. He told me that once I graduate fromschool, I'll be making just as much as him in maybe 2-3 years because of me simply having a degree. He is currently finishing up his schooling.

My point being that you can get somewhere without a degree but chances are you'll wish you had one later down the line anyway..

All this talk of "college is for the birds" and "no degree = no success" is a waste because you will always find an exception. But again,I'm sure the general consensus of the entire working world is "a degree wouldn't hurt"

Hmm...interesting thread

I didnt go to college as I planned. I didnt get financial aid and simply couldnt afford it. When registration for second semester came around I decided Icouldnt go through with it because I'm simply not that type of learner. I had I plan for life, but I felt like I've seriously been procrasinating forthe past two years. I'm a dreamer so I can think about my "future life" all day with no results. I've been working at UPS which is a prettygood job but definately not what I want to do for the rest of my life. But I finally found my motivation and I've just reworked my goals into a good enoughtime frame and set standards, limitations, and deadlines for myself. I'm a creative so there's nothing that I could of took from school anyway (excepta technical aspect which I've taught myself). And there's no backup plan. If I can't do this, I seriously can see myself doing anything else. So itis what it is

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

Now, you can ask college grads the same question and get the same response
laugh.gif

Seriously...I know freakin GEORGETOWN graduates that ask me WEEKLY if I know anyone that's hiring.

GEORGETOWN!!!
tired.gif

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Show me how many Americans with degrees are making six figures.
This is how it breaks down for non college graduates.
If you plan on pursuing your own livelihood (your own business) then the lack of a degree will not hinder your efforts.
If you don't plan on working for yourself then not having a degree will become a problem.

The 3 guys in my neighborhood who I know that own multi million dollar construction and electrical contracting companies don't have degrees.

Again blue collar industry, and I doubt they came from nothing. They are exception to the rules simply based on the fact that most businesses fail.

I know several people, friends included who make million+ a year in WHITE collar businesses, that doesn't stop the fact that they are exceptions to therule.

"Education is overrated only to those who receive it"

As pointless as a college education might seem, especially in these economic times, having a degree will never be overrated. Sure their is an over-saturatedmarket of college graduates, but that bubble will burst, it has to. Fact remains that no matter where you are in this world, if you graduate from a prestigiousschool, or for the most part even an ok one you will find a job anywhere.(economy excluded)

I won't even touch on the social benefits of living on your own in a controlled environment, or learning time management before moving on your own. Thebenefits of college are far more than educational, in fact for me that has been the least beneficial. I never heard any of this degree is overrated stuff 3years ago.

College isn't for everyone, but everyone who can afford to go should go.

I never heard any of this degree is overrated stuff 3 years
This has been a topic of discussion for AGES.

You can go to Barnes & Noble and find publications dedicated to this discussion.

Going to school gives you a chance to do what you want to do.

I went for free, so I can't compare my situation to most others. But it was beyond worth it.

Back
Top Bottom