Comments on SneakerPimp.com Wall Street Journal article

more limited kicks could be a good thing.
"If convicted on all counts, Iverson faces the maximum of 65 years in jail...........or 12 seasons with the Grizzlies."

Follow-up:

As a former sneaker dealer/hustler/seller/pimp myself, I certainly do wish all the other sneaker d/h/s/p's good luck. It's pretty hard to do, and I think Nike is going to make it even harder to do. But we'll see.

I didn't even consider that it might make it easier for collectors to get their hands on the limited edition shoes. (finally, maybe now I can cop one of those damn Forbes dunks!)

Will - I'm not trying to bring discredit to anything Eric's done. The kid has probably the best USA-based dealer website on the entire internet, and his grill was on the front page the Wall Street Journal.

No doubt there will be publicity for Nike, and it will make their stuff even more desirable. The article basically tells you how to become a sneaker d/h/s/p - just make deals with store owners, so I bet that we'll see a lot more people trying to do it. That's going to make the Limited Edition models that much harder to get - for both d/h/s/p's and collectors - and will probably drive up the prices.

Ktown's right. (Whoa, did I just agree with him?! :smile:
smile.gif
) If you're well connected, you should still be able to get your stuff. No matter what system Nike can come up with, someone is going to figure out a way around it, and a way to "beat" it. It all depends on how harshly - if at all - Nike threatens and penalizes the retailers for being "sneaky"

Of course, I could be wrong, - Nike could do absolutely nothing about it. Which means that I just wasted a lot of time writing about nothing.

Jersey Joe

If Nike were to crack down on this whole mom-n-pop thing, it would create a flurry of problems for many involved including their own employees.

I once asked an Ekin what Nike thought about stores "breaking street" and selling/showing shoes before the official RD. This person said it was frowned upon but, basically, there was nothing Nike could do about it but give them a slap on the wrist. If they were to pull a store's - or chain's - account, the sales rep would lose out on their commission. Alot of commission. That would make for unhappy employees and, in a certain geographical area, an imbalance of Nike's hot products being released. Nobody wants that.

In the end, I don't think much will change. But Joe certainly gave Nike a nice outline to go by.
KM
RKCONNECT

good reads and good points everyone.

I don't know much about the stock market, but did nike's stock actually jump $1 over a couple of days after this WSJ article?
All Shoes Crease! Size 13 Chrome Dada Cdubbz for sale, contact me at ShoeFreak15@aol.com

Point well spoken JJ,

I emailed Eric the day the article in the WSJ was printed. I asked him if he gotten any response from Nike about the article and he said no. I told him that article added gas to the fire. Here's why:

I heard from a source nike was very pissed and that numerous phone calls were made about the WSJ article and Mr. Ewayz..

This is not new however. I heard like a year ago that Nike was eventually going to trying to shut down internet sneaker resellers from a Nike Rep herself. It's been a while, but here is what I remember (this is from her mouth not mine).

Some ideas of a nike.net (or some alternate nike website) was being developed which would contain a database with selected mom n pops store's inventories around the country. People would be be able to go to the site and possibly find the shoe they are looking for. I personally don't think this could happen, but who knows.

I also heard Nike created a team to specifically deal with us (unofficial nike resellers).

Not good in my opinon.

Po

great post. We did have an understanding that the article could make or break us but to be honest I know for a fact that I will not be selling shoes forever and I am just gonna ride this til I cant anymore. With all this exposure, I have met lots of great contacts and I know I will gain more in the future.

Once I am done with this, I hope to open a store or start a new career in a different field or some more serious stuff like real estate.

By the way nike.net is only for nike account holders to check availability, orders and other things.
info@sneakerpimp.com

First of all, great comments by everyone. Its constructive threads like this that make NikeTalk such a great place.

Secondly, there is no way that Nike is behind the variant/fake/counterfeit market. Think about it? Who profits more on the sale of fakes, the counterfeiters or the third-party resellers (fake hustlers?)? If Nike wanted to capitalize on this, they could just come up with legitimate limited edition colorways and sell them as ndc exclusives for double the retail price. Then even those of us who are against fakes would buy.

I think JJ made some valid points that need to be considered. Its great that Eric got exposure for his site, but now Nike is watching closely... and guess what? The IRS will be also watching after this.

I did notice that sneakerpimp.com's site hits are steadliy declining since the article hit. Nike's stock is also starting to decline after the inital punch up. (Time to short shareholders.) It'll be interesting to see if sneakerpimp's numbers decline back to pre-WSJ numbers, or remain above the pre-WSJ average.

I'm wondering how many additional hits NT has received because of this.

It'll be interesting to see how Nike reacts to all this.

[size=-1]orindahoops - representin'the old dudes![/size]
[table][tr][td]
[size=-2]orindahoops.com[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Orinda's [/size]
[size=-2]Messageboard[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]E-MailOrinda[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Give respect.  Getrespect.[/size]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[size=-2]Orinda'sEbay Auctions[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]NTLegit List #0018[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]keeping that funk alive,[/size]
[size=-2]'cus I was there in '75.[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Signthe XI Low iD petition[/size]
[/td][/tr][/table]​

i think the only reason why they are semi-pissed is b/c they have egg on their face...really though...all it does is increase exposure for NIke and their products which = more money = more profits = higher stock price...which is what ultimately they want.

[color=FFFF99]The day of reckoning is coming...[/color][color=003399] NT Rules of Conduct
Check out my current ebay auctions -- [/color]
Dirty's Auctions

What I'm hoping from all of this is, places like Supreme will stop raping their customers for extra cash.

It's different if you're buying sneakers through a private reseller, as they're making a personal profit. But, when store like Supreme which are supposed to be official dealers of sneakers jerk the customers, I don't think it's right. They paid wholesale price to sell these sneakers, not a full retail price which would force them (From a capitalistic business stand point) to have to sell highier to recover their losses and make a profit.

Imagine going to 34 St. Footlocker for a Footlocker exclusive and having to pay $50+ more to purchase just because they had a monopoly on this particular sneaker. Like what Supreme does (I know many of you have gone to Supreme NYC and know what I mean. Those guys are ....'s).

I don't think error of how things are conducted is so much in the way resellers like Ewayz do business, but the shady places who are supposed to be legit retailers, but don't follow the rules.

I only wish Nike would watch these limited releases to make sure they're handled correctly. Sneakers buying/collecting has become a joke in some aspects. People have stopped buying sneakers to wear or appreciate their design/asthetic appeal. They're now buying them with the sole purpose of reselling.

I just think people like me who actually enjoy wearing these limited sneakers should be given the opportunity to purchases them the way they were meant to be.

Somber Coeur has some good collector-based viewpoints.

That story about Supreme is pretty bad. For a licensed retailer to do that is BS. Yes, they're rare shoes and all that, but that just sucks.

It's because Nike CAN'T control distribution of Limited Edition items that D/H/S/P's and licensed retailers can do what they do.

For the most part, D/H/S/P's do what they can, and make an honest living getting around Nike's rules and regulations. I see nothing wrong with that.

If the shady places that are supposed to be legit retailers didn't sell the stuff early, and didn't take part in wholesaling, then the sneaker dealing/hustling/selling/pimping market would probably die quickly. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your viewpoint. (dealer or collector)

Basically, if Nike could control their dealers, everything would go the way it's supposed to.

JJ

There is an assumption abroad that Supreme was the source of the Dunks that various re-sellers have managed to get hold of.

From what I have heard, a combination of Nike incompetance and "enterprise" on the part of some Nike account holders got several hundred pairs shipped out from Nike's warehouse when they shouldn't have been.

Take some time out and enjoy Tune of the week 7/22-7/29...Enrique live and direct

Oh yeah,

and don't think that the little stores are doing anything that Footlocker, Niketown , Footaction, JD Sports etc. etc. worldwide aren't supporting.

I know of specific stores, managers, in NYC elsewhere who bulk sell to exporters.

Puerto Rico Rifts were on sale overseas a week before NYC NT had them on the floor. But they were NT stock...

True Blue AJ3 on Fulton way before release date? Thank certain NYC Footlocker managers and an intermediary for those. They didn't get exported lol.

Nike can't stop it and they have tolerated it to a degree; WSJ front page may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Take some time out and enjoy Tune of the week 7/22-7/29...Enrique live and direct

This is a great post. Thought I might add my thoughts.

I think if Nike takes any real action at all I think it might be more items sold through Nike.com.

I think this would be great for most Nike Talkers. We would know right away when a new hot item would hit because someone would be sure to post it to the board.

Additionally for Nike, this would be the easiest way to cut down on its retailers violating their contracts.

I'm sure they would put a limit to the amount of each pair you could buy like they do for Jordan Retros.

Imagine Skate Dunks and limited Air Force I's being sold on Nike.com. I know it doesn't really make sense for the Skate Dunks seeing that they have been sold in traditionally non Nike stores (i.e. Skate Shops), but this would definitely help Nike control distribution.

Nike would also make more $ in that they would receive the difference between the wholesale and resale prices.

Everyone who has accumulated vouchers I'm sure would go for this in a second (I've never sent a pair of shoes back, so doesn't help me). However, all those people who ripped their zippers of Flightposites could now have something they actually want on Nike.com.

Just an idea that I'm sure Nike has thought of.
We'll see what happens.

Jumanji
6:15 INC.

First off, to the guy who said nike might be behind the variants.... :lol:
laugh.gif
that is utterly ridiculous...nike would never risk tarnishing their name by authorizing low quality variants...that goes directly against the business plan.

Next, I love people who are trying to buy sneakers from supreme to resell themselves, yet complain that supreme is jacking up the price. Could you possibly be anymore hippocritical?? If you are buying to wear or to collect, then you have a right to complain, but don't knock them just because they have the account with nike that you wish you had....if you were mr. supreme I highly doubt that you would sell for retail.

Lastly, I think the wsj will have a little bit of good and a little bit of bad as a result.

Congrats again on the article eric, I hope you have been putting away money for taxes because you are most definately going to be audited now. Same goes for your partner.
PATENT23 AUCTIONS!!!!!
[table]Picture yourself crushing xzibit with your tough talk, thats like Christopher Reeves doing the crip walk[/table][table]Got UNC Sheeds????[/table]

Sales from a website are not that profitable because of the overheads incurred in maintaining the infrastructure necessary

So Nike has no real financial interest in listiing shoes online that will 100% sell-out anyway from a regular bricks and mortar store.

The most efficient sale is to someone who has spent their own gas money to get to and from the location you have placed the product in bulk that they want.

I hope that wasn't directed at me Patent? I have never resold a sneaker and had I gotten my hands on the Chocolates, they would be on my feet right now.

I have a retort for you Collie. When the True Blues were released downtown Brooklyn, I have no knowledge of any official retail chain like Footlocker, Footaction, etc. selling the sneakers early. I do however remember all the mom and pop stores on Fulton having them for sale.

I have never seen or heard of an official chain selling their stock early (In my neck of NYC atleast). I could be wrong, but from what I have witnessed and heard I don't believe it happens. As I said before, I could very well be wrong.

^ Chains don't sell stock early, bulk, wholesales, etc. ,etc. to individual customers....as opposed to stores (usually.)

Thanks for all the input everyone; it is sincerely appreciated.

Hey, I collect just as much as the next person but were we really to turn this down?
On behalf of the site, it was felt that the positives could only outweigh the negatives.

[size=+2][table]ewayz23@sneakerpimp.com[/table][/size][h3]LEGIT LIST[/h3]​

i have witnessed phone and email conversations with various NYC chain store managers to resellers. it happens.

Some of the mom and pops on Fulton got their AJ3 early direct from FL although neither party may have been aware how it went down.

I'm not speculating, that is just what happened.

good comments all around.

i myself, dont understand the hype regarding all these special dunks and air force ones going for over $500.

they're ugly in my opinion.

that article and jersey joes reply was a good read however.

Back
Top Bottom