Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
obviously there is literal violence..

but as far as I’m concerned, as soon as you say certain shhh the fight done started

to go back to the Chris rock vid, would anyone have blamed Chris rock for slapping Louie?

Long as someone don’t touch me, they can say WHATEVER they want. But I got the gift of gab too. I know how to argue and mince words with the best of them. But I guess I can understand those who will fight due to words.

But again, words ain’t never wounded me physically

Another brilliant special. If I’m being honest though the Daphne set came off as pandering a bit. I don’t think he owes anyone anything but I get it.
I thought the Daphne story was profound and moving. I especially liked the part about him sharing her perspective and just wanting to be seen as human and not necessarily needing to be understood. As a black man I found that very relatable.

I also liked his point about her being a member of his tribe as a comedian. We all belong to many tribes, being apart of one (trans,black) shouldn't define you as we all belong to several.

Thought it was funny, not his best one, but really good all the same. Haven’t read any of the articles condemning this, but I’m not sure what people are offended about. I don’t think he’s transphobic at all.

I’d nod my head in agreeance if his Netflix specials were awarded the MacArthur Genius Grant..

Last edited:
You do realize that it's possible to be a Black, Jewish trans woman, don't you?

These aren't mutually exclusive attributes. It is absolutely fair to criticize the ways in which those who enjoy relative privilege within a community disproportionately benefit from unity and too often fail to reciprocate by promoting equality of everyone.
Caitlyn Jenner is a classic example of this phenomenon. She's rich, White, and used her fame to unjustly vault herself to the forefront of a struggle she has historically ignored. Jenner's acceptance is built on generations of struggle, yet she turns her back on those responsible through her public support of far right politicians who hold the concept of equality itself in contempt.

None of us are free until all of us are free.

You cannot call yourself a feminist if you only seek equality for some women. You cannot call yourself anti-racist if you only seek equality for some people of color.

I wrote about this phenomenon recently with regard to White-centered activism for economic justice: https://niketalk.com/threads/official-political-discussion-thread.509493/post-33265647

If you want to stand up for the members of a particular group, you'd better stand up for the most vulnerable members of that group - not just those most like you, or those with the greatest degree of relative privilege. When we fight for the most vulnerable among us, our own freedom will come as a natural consequence of that action. The inverse is not true. It is a farce when the most vulnerable among us fight for LGBTQIA+ equality, only for rich White gay cisgender men to turn their backs to the struggle after their own freedoms have been assured.

To avoid calls of hypocrisy, Dave should be certain he's not doing essentially the same thing to Black trans women that "White feminists" do to Black women, or TERFS do to trans women.

Chris Rock used to do a comedy routine where he invoked the cardinal racial slur and joked that he'd join the KKK - so long as an exemption is carved out for him and others he deemed legitimate "Black people." Any Black person who is not suitably respectable may continue to be denigrated and despised.

I can only assume that he now deeply regrets this routine, as it echoes Malcolm X's experiences during his psychiatric evaluation, when he noticed that a Black nurse seemed to be going to great lengths to express her contempt for him to the White doctor. He wrote, “So many of those so-called “upper class” Negroes are so busy trying to impress on the white man that they are “different from those others” that they can’t see they are only helping the white man to keep his low opinion of all Negroes."

While I don't believe this to be Dave's intention, it is hardly a stretch to suggest that the mockery of trans people will impact Black trans people far more than someone like Caitlyn Jenner. Just a trans women are disproportionately impacted by violence - especially murder - Black trans women suffer disproportionately. Analysis of last year's known fatal hate crimes attests to this issue: https://www.hrc.org/resources/violence-against-the-trans-and-gender-non-conforming-community-in-2020

It is flat out wrong to act like trans people are some all-powerful interest group when they - and especially Black trans women - are so disproportionately likely to die young and violently.

Respectfully, this to me just seems like a thorough smashing of a straw man.

I don't think most of the people in here or Dave are turning their backs on the struggle of trans people in our society.

In the special Dave;

-Affirms the gender identity of trans women

-Comes out against anti trans legislation
- admonishes crowd members cheering anti trans legislation
- ends the special with a story about a personal friendship with a trans person.
- says that trans women should use the bathroom of their chosen gender.

what about Dave's special is indifferent to their struggle? because he told some other toilet jokes about trans people?
like he does about every other subject on the planet?

You can say all of the above but if you make a joke about trans people you are instantly a bigot?

While I don't believe this to be Dave's intention, it is hardly a stretch to suggest that the mockery of trans people will impact Black trans people far more than someone like Caitlyn Jenner. Just a trans women are disproportionately impacted by violence - especially murder - Black trans women suffer disproportionately. Analysis of last year's known fatal hate crimes attests to this issue:

it's not a stretch? this is part of my problem, these claims are made about trans people and we have to accept them uncritically.
Is there an epidemic of trans people being murdered specifically because they trans? is this true?
how would we know?

I would not call that link an analysis, I would call it a list of names and a vague grasp at causation.

a quick google and you can find skeptical look at these claims,

i don't know if agree or disagree but there's more than enough doubt to look skeptically at these claims of trans hate crime murder wave

let alone this bank shot argument where a comedy special that takes pretty clear supportive stances of trans people
will lead to a Trans murder epidemic.

It is flat out wrong to act like trans people are some all-powerful interest group

Okay but it just seems to me to fly in the face of observable reality.
Dave told a whole bunch of jokes that I could argue are racist or sexist, crude, vulgur, in poor taste.

but nobody turns around and says; this special is fueling the murder of XYZ, it's only trans people.
They seem to be the only ones that enjoy this super minority status.

I would not call that link an analysis, I would call it a list of names and a vague grasp at causation.

i don't know if agree or disagree but there's more than enough doubt to look skeptically at these claims of trans hate crime murder wave

B07F6RN7Y4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

There have to be better sources to cite than this guy and Katie Herzog, a person who has a famously contemptuous relationship with the trans community

Dave told a whole bunch of jokes that I could argue are racist or sexist, crude, vulgur, in poor taste.

but nobody turns around and says; this special is fueling the murder of XYZ, it's only trans people.
They seem to be the only ones that enjoy this super minority status.
Really?

When Donald Trump et al. were making Sinophobic and generally anti-Asian "jokes" like "kung flu" last year, it's not hyperbole to associate that rhetoric with hate crimes.
Hate crimes, generally, have been on the rise since 2015. According to UCR data, most of these hate crimes are motivated by anti-Black racism. You've not seen anyone connect those dots as well?

You don't have to make the claim that John Gruden's recently revealed racist comments will be the single driving force behind a genocidal murder wave against Black Americans to find them unacceptable, nor to exercise your speech rights to criticize his conduct or your consumer rights to boycott those who cannot be bothered to replace a racist when so many other candidates exist who are no less deserving of the opportunity. If he's fired, every bigot with a data connection will start howling about the "woke mob", "snowflakes," and how the only acceptable prejudice remaining in America is anti-White bias. (I see it constantly in our inboxes from people who despise our forum policies.)

The prevalence of dehumanizing comments - including "jokes" - can, and too often does, undermine the personal safety of those subject to them, and can have a corrosive effect on self-esteem (e.g. Kenneth Clark's famous doll study.)

There is an undercurrent of resentment here that centers Whiteness within the trans experience, as though Black trans people do not face unique mistreatment and are somehow part of this "super minority" as you've so flippantly suggested.
The notion that you can kill a Black man but you can't hurt a trans person's feelings necessarily elides the experiences of Black trans men, because these group affiliations are not mutually exclusive.

That's a necessary point, and it's hardly a strawman when we see evidence of that very resentment right here in this thread.

This is anti-vax level "research." You're not even willing to stand by the claims made in these pieces, so I'm not interested in engaging in some argument by proxy with a pair of links you scrabbled together from a hasty Google query and haven't even read.

Even if you've cause to doubt the much-cited 35-year life expectancy for trans people, think about the point you're trying to make here. Is it really your belief that violence against Black trans women is overstated or insignificant?
Exactly what level of external validation is necessary for you to care?

If anything, these crimes - and hate crimes in general - are under-reported.

Really?

When Donald Trump et al. were making Sinophobic and generally anti-Asian "jokes" like "kung flu" last year, it's not hyperbole to associate that rhetoric with hate crimes.
Hate crimes, generally, have been on the rise since 2015. According to UCR data, most of these hate crimes are motivated by anti-Black racism. You've not seen anyone connect those dots as well?

You don't have to make the claim that John Gruden's recently revealed racist comments will be the single driving force behind a genocidal murder wave against Black Americans to find them unacceptable, nor to exercise your speech rights to criticize his conduct or your consumer rights to boycott those who cannot be bothered to replace a racist when so many other candidates exist who are no less deserving of the opportunity. If he's fired, every bigot with a data connection will start howling about the "woke mob", "snowflakes," and how the only acceptable prejudice remaining in America is anti-White bias. (I see it constantly in our inboxes from people who despise our forum policies.)

The prevalence of dehumanizing comments - including "jokes" - can, and too often does, undermine the personal safety of those subject to them, and can have a corrosive effect on self-esteem (e.g. Kenneth Clark's famous doll study.)

There is an undercurrent of resentment here that centers Whiteness within the trans experience, as though Black trans people do not face unique mistreatment and are somehow part of this "super minority" as you've so flippantly suggested.
The notion that you can kill a Black man but you can't hurt a trans person's feelings necessarily elides the experiences of Black trans men, because these group affiliations are not mutually exclusive.

That's a necessary point, and it's hardly a strawman when we see evidence of that very resentment right here in this thread.
I think in regards to Dave though, he isn't saying or implying black trans ppl are a part of a super minority that have these unique privileges when their feelings get hurt. He specifically notes his problem is with white ppl.

He's not dismissing their mistreatment. He's highlighting something about the white ppl within that community.

He makes a clear example when he brings up how he was harassed by those big gay country white dudes and when they felt the situation might escalate they threatened to call the police on Dave. He straight up says a black gay guy would not have done that. To basically make a blanket argument that most black lgbtq ppl would not have done that.

I get how you're saying Dave's take may lead to a slippery slope or be misinterpreted to effectively ignore the experiences and the very real tragedies of black ppl within that community but his response is if ppl really listened to what he was saying there's no way that could rationally be happening. Its why he was so annoyed when the talking point of him "punching down" got parroted for years ever since he started these Netflix specials.

So yes a black Jewish trans person can and most likely do exist and can be offended by his joke but the majority of ppl who actually are that specific sub-group aren't the ones claiming Dave is promoting the death of trans women. Those are the ppl he's talking about. That's why you'll read ppl constantly say trans ppl will be okay with all these other jokes about other groups but then cry foul when its about them. Then when the examples of specific ppl being murdered are brought up Dave is confused as if the ppl saying that to him don't get they're talking to a black man who is very familiar with "my people" being killed for "decades".

I don't know if you saw the special but Dave literally made the same exact Caitlyn Jenner argument you did. At the end Dave basically says if the group (the entire lbgtq community really) can't laugh at themselves and really feel he's making fun of them at their expense he's no longer going to talk about or address them anymore until they can agree that we're laughing with each other.

Also as far as the Chris Rock joke, its clear you understand the joke but do you get it? We know those type of black ppl exist (many of those types do in many groups) but the concept of that idea and the notion that they would do that is what makes it absurd. The joke is making fun of those ppl. So its like when did the joke stop being a joke and started being a message that it is okay to denigrate and despise black ppl? That's not what the joke was about in the first place

I doubt Rock now regrets the joke cuz I highly doubt he needed a Malcolm X experience to realize that message is wrong since I doubt that was the point of the joke. Those type of black ppl are rooted in the House N-word label/concept. They've always been around from those early exclusive black social clubs consisting of light skin blacks to groups exclusivity based on being a part of the black upper class or "Black elite". Rock as a dark skinned black man who was once poor/lower class who is now wealthy can draw from his own experiences dealing with those kinds of black ppl (him being darker skinned also adds another layer to the joke).

Now if ppl get the wrong idea from the joke and take it as some message of truth that's a different unfortunate matter. Chris or Dave can't control how the audience comprehends their jokes/points.

Last edited:
Really?

Im talking about stand up comedy, the context is important.
Im not talking about the leader of the free world blaming Asian people for incurable respiratory disease.

Lets say I accept that these hate crime, data do you think there has been a substantive change in who stand up comedians can make fun of
that has led to causal rise in hate crimes?

it seems to me 2015 we've had a significant narrowing of what is acceptable material for stand up comedy.
Given the massive influence of comedy in motivating hate crimes, shouldn't we have seen a reduction in hate crimes?

again forgive me I do not remember people saying Louis CK's n-word bit led to a rise in anti-black hate crimes.

That's my point, no one would seriously make the claim that John Grudens comment was leading to any genocidal murder wave against black Americans.
But plenty of people do make that claim when it comes to trans issues, hence giving them a special status that no other minority groups seems to get.

Dave a special that supported many of the political struggles of trans people, but it's still being cited as adding "jet fuel" to the epidemic of Trans murder.

I have never said it's impermissible to criticizing Dave's speech, make what ever criticisms you want,
id even agree that some of Dave's jokes in the past could be considered "transphobic"

my problem is expansion of speech as violence as a concept to shut down artistic expression that doesn't conform to a certain orthodoxy.

Criticize the special vigorously if you want to, but this expansion of the concept of harm
is really pernicious force when it comes to artistic expression. and think often times it's used cynically as a elite status signaling.

The Doll Study was used as an argument against Jim Freaking Crow, The idea that Dave's special
is in any comparable to the dehumanization visited upon black people in Jim Crow era segregation. I think that's an insane claim.

This is anti-vax level "research." You're not even willing to stand by the claims made in these pieces, so I'm not interested in engaging in some argument by proxy with a pair of links you scrabbled together from a hasty Google query and haven't even read.

Even if you've cause to doubt the much-cited 35-year life expectancy for trans people, think about the point you're trying to make here. Is it really your belief that violence against Black trans women is overstated or insignificant?
Exactly what level of external validation is necessary for you to care?

This is exactly my point.

You are comparing the vaccine, a medical product that has gone through rigours double blind clinical trials.
studied by every major government health institutions

to this Trans murder wave narrative, killing every trans person before the age of 35?

you think those two things are in any way comparable in terms of the robustness of the evidence?
of course not, but you are willing to uncritically accept it,
because it fits a specific political orthodoxy surrounding trans people that no other minority groups gets afforded.

the stranger article tracks where that 35 year life expectancy number comes from it looks to be highly questionable.

Ok, so let’s parse this out. First: “Latin American organizations report that the life expectancy of trans women in the region is between 30 and 35 years of age.” There are no data attached, but evidently outlets and people who repeat this claim are extrapolating the life expectancy for trans women in the United States based on organizations that have made that claim about an entirely different region, one with some of the highest murder rates in the world. Sounds airtight.

if I said Louis CK N word bit leads directly to the low life expectancy of black men.
and then I cited some stat that doesn't control for age, demographics, regional murder rate, no one would take me seriously.

but all these very hazy statistic around trans hate crime murders must be accepted totally and uncritically or you are a bigot.
or it's anti vax research.

but I think most of this stuff side steps people central issues here; Dave Chappelle's special The Closer features Dave;

-Affirms the gender identity of trans women
-Comes out against anti trans legislation
- admonishes crowd members cheering anti trans legislation
- ends the special with a story about a personal friendship with a trans person.
- says that trans women should use the bathroom of their chosen gender.

This is the special that is adding jet fuel to the trans murder epidemic...you don't see how this is unconvincing?

I think im pretty sympathetic to the struggle for trans people, over the years i've argued with NTer's about Trans peoples inclusion in sports
and the difference between sex and gender, ect ect

but this idea that you must subscribe to everything trans activists say or it's considered violence
to be a significant over reach that harms the struggle for trans rights in the long run.

I think in regards to Dave though, he isn't saying or implying black trans ppl are a part of a super minority that have these unique privileges when their feelings get hurt.
Osh did - and he's the one I quoted, just like Zainjal26 is the one who said that "trans folk are fine with black jokes, jewish jokes, women jokes", which is a blatant generalization that downplays, if not outright ignores, the possibility that you can literally be Black, Jewish, trans, and a woman. None of these categories are mutually exclusive.

That said, I do think Dave's trying to practice a bit of revisionist history here. For someone who has no problem with trans people, he's spent a LOT of time in his Netflix specials making fun of trans people. You can say that his "yuck" comment about Caitlyn Jenner was more about her than about trans women generally, but you can't make the same distinction for a joke in this special that you personally seemed to find hilarious, in which Dave compares trans women's bodies to Beyond Meat. This is not a joke about White trans people.

There is ample room to ridicule the likes of Catilyn Jenner - but for their abject selfishness, racism, and hypocrisy, not for their genitals. Jokes about the latter can and do impact trans people of color. In earlier specials, Dave mocks trans people in the military, the premise being that their very appearance is a "secret weapon" that would frighten their opposition.

I get how you're saying Dave's take may lead to a slippery slope or be misinterpreted to effectively ignore the experiences and the very real tragedies of black ppl within that community but his response is if ppl really listened to what he was saying there's no way that could rationally happening.
In one of his now many sets on trans people, Dave talks about "Black dudes in Brooklyn" who "wear high heels to feel safe."

If Dave wants to make the point that straight, cisgender White men are so committed to racism that they'd side with a White trans woman over a Black man, perhaps he ought to spare a thought to how it would feel to see him, as a Black man, siding with J.K. Rowling over Black trans women.
That is not about White people. He literally says he's on "team TERF," which is, by definition, trans exclusionary.

Again, I'm not making the claim that Dave had the intention of adversely impacting Black trans people - but at this point it's impossible to deny that some of his recent specials have had that effect.

There's something to be said, too, of in-group vs. out-group humor - both in terms of who's speaking and who's listening. At whose expense and for whose pleasure is the joke being made?

Im talking about stand up comedy, the context is important.
Im not talking about the leader of the free world blaming Asian people for incurable respiratory disease.
But Trump's spokespeople said he was joking.

Perhaps the difference between us is that when I see the phrase "racist joke," the operative word in my mind is "racist," not "joke."

Roseanne was "joking." Don Imus was "joking." Bill Maher was "joking." Danny Ferry was "joking." Michael Richards was "joking." Mike Richards was "joking." Amos 'n' Andy were "joking." At what point is this no longer a valid defense?

If you call Alex Jones a stand-up comedian (as his lawyers might in a future custody hearing), that doesn't negate the impact of his speech.

Obviously Dave Chappelle fans aren't going to be whipped into a violent frenzy like a pack of conspiracy nuts, but cultivating prejudice carries consequences, and we know who's most likely to bear the brunt of that. It's not Caitlyn Jenner.

But plenty of people do make that claim when it comes to trans issues, hence giving them a special status that no other minority groups seems to get.
So if I can find two people on Twitter or Medium who make the argument that racist or sexist jokes contribute to hate crimes, that's prima facie evidence of a "super minority" status?

That appears to be your bar.

Last I checked, Dave's still on Netflix. I guess there are limits to even the almighty power of the trans rights "super minority."

This is exactly my point.

You are comparing the vaccine, a medical product that has gone through rigours double blind clinical trials.
studied by every major government health institutions

to this Trans murder wave narrative, killing every trans person before the age of 35?
Oh, now who's "smashing strawmen?"

Killing every trans person before the age of 35? Source?

Here's what actually happened:

You did the laziest possible "research" to "just ask questions" about whether violence against trans people is overstated or, in the words of one of the people you cited, a hoax.
I should expect nothing less from a Joe Rogan fan.

I hope you'll someday muster up the courage to face Maribel and Beckett at work so you can stop badgering people online with this bad faith "anti-woke" garbage.

Yes, I would have. Because that's not how adults should conduct themselves during discussions.

Now if one of these parents slapped an anti-masker or anti-vaxxer for yelling at them while walking home from school, using phrases like abuse and rape in reference to the measures being taken to protect children, while the parents are simply just trying to get their child home, I would not blame them one bit. So I do get your point somewhat. I just don't think the situation Rock was in warranted any kind of immediate violent response.

Also, Rock has to take a lot of blame for Louis going there because it was quite obvious Louis was riffing off of the "Black people vs ******" infamous bit from Rock. Comedians push boundaries for laughs. Folks can choose to draw the line where they want. Nothing wrong with that.

there is plenty of wrong with a white person using the N word

Not that it makes it any better but Louis is a Mexican whose first language was Spanish and grew up in Mexico I think (could be wrong on that part)

What one does betrays their belief system; what one believes indicates who they likely listen to and what they likely read.

That's how speech influences our behavior and why advertising and propaganda work.

That's also why you can't argue there's no such thing as violent speech. We can argue about what constitutes violent speech, but we can't argue about the validity of the concept.

But Trump's spokespeople said he was joking.

Perhaps the difference between us is that when I see the phrase "racist joke," the operative word in my mind is "racist," not "joke."

Roseanne was "joking." Don Imus was "joking." Bill Maher was "joking." Danny Ferry was "joking." Michael Richards was "joking." Mike Richards was "joking." Amon 'n' Andy were "joking." At what point is this no longer a valid defense?
Some of the posts defending Chappelle in here seem to follow a particular template that wouldn't fly if the words LGBT/trans were swapped with black/minorities.

The lack of self-awareness is a bit disappointing. It's almost as if people say society shouldn't have punching bags when they're actually ok with society having punching bags as long as it's not them.

What one does betrays their belief system; what one believes indicates who they likely listen to and what they likely read.

That's how speech influences our behavior and why advertising and propaganda work.

That's also why you can't argue there's no such thing as violent speech. We can argue about what constitutes violent speech, but we can't argue about the validity of the concept.

Some of the posts defending Chappelle in here seem to follow a particular template that wouldn't fly if the words LGBT/trans were swapped with black/minorities.

The lack of self-awareness is a bit disappointing. It's almost as if people say society shouldn't have punching bags when they're actually ok with society having punching bags as long as it's not them.

I’m pretty sure that’s the point Chappelle was making as well as people in here were making that you are claiming as “disappointing”. LGBTQ is fine with jokes as long as it’s not them. It’s like Chappelle said in the skit “you can kill a black man but if you hurt a gay persons feelings you are in trouble”.

I’m pretty sure that’s the point Chappelle was making as well as people in here were making that you are claiming as “disappointing”. LGBTQ is fine with jokes as long as it’s not them. It’s like Chappelle said in the skit “you can kill a black man but if you hurt a gay persons feelings you are in trouble”.

saying this after everything george Floyd rings hollow

I’m pretty sure that’s the point Chappelle was making as well as people in here were making that you are claiming as “disappointing”. LGBTQ is fine with jokes as long as it’s not derogatory It’s like Chappelle said in the skit “you can kill a black man but if you hurt a gay persons feelings you are in trouble”.
FTFY.
And I'm pretty sure I'm referring to the arguments I've seen posted here in defense of his special, not the content of the special itself. Claims of overrepresentation in particular spaces and exaggeration of issues particular to a community wouldn't fly if we were talking about black people. Why is it considered an acceptable argument here?

It's ridiculous to demand that others care about your issues when you can't extend the same consideration in the other direction.

Also, on comedy and how what's acceptable changes over time:

FTFY.
And I'm pretty sure I'm referring to the arguments I've seen posted here in defense of his special, not the content of the special itself. Claims of overrepresentation in particular spaces and exaggeration of issues particular to a community wouldn't fly if we were talking about black people. Why is it considered an acceptable argument here?

It's ridiculous to demand that others care about your issues when you can't extend the same consideration in the other direction.

Also, on comedy and how what's acceptable changes over time:

Except he and many other comedians have talked about blacks, whites, Hispanics, etc and there has never been this much backlash. So again, I ask, why LGBTQ community be protected from comedy?

as someone who isnt black or trans, i get the impression that black-trans people are currently being used as props by non-black-trans progressives for their movement

progressives: you cant punch down when it comes to comedy, only up,
dave: i can make fun of any white person i want for any reason i want, doesnt matter if theyre male, female, poor, disabled, lgbt, whatever, no white person is beneath me
progressives: you cant make fun of trans people, you see those black-trans people ALL THE WAY OVER THERE, theyre the reason you cant make jokes about trans people

this type of criticism isnt being demonstrated towards daves other social commentary, specifically his jokes about metoo and sexual abuse/harrassment towards women

progressives arent saying: you cant make jokes about sexual abuse towards women in hollywood, you see those black women ALL THE WAY OVER THERE, theyre the reason you cant make jokes about sexual abuse towards women

no one is saying that, again, as someone who isnt black, i think this is because progressives, specifically white progressives, have learned not to speak for black women in a way that they havent for black lgbt people

Watching it with the girlfriend tonight. Will be back here to debate with y’all once we’re done.

Back
Top Bottom