Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
"Blackface remains the most absurd practice in the history of American show business. White men applied burnt cork to their face in a laughable attempt to portray and make mockery of their black brethren. The practice seems shameful to the contemporary sensibility and is too often accepted as "of its time." However, blackface was often considered outrageous to enlightened members of the public even during its effervescent heyday from 1870 to 1930. "

- Kliph Nesteroff

"Blackface remains the most absurd practice in the history of American show business. White men applied burnt cork to their face in a laughable attempt to portray and make mockery of their black brethren. The practice seems shameful to the contemporary sensibility and is too often accepted as "of its time." However, blackface was often considered outrageous to enlightened members of the public even during its effervescent heyday from 1870 to 1930. "

- Kliph Nesteroff

blue checks media elites are mad, but the normies seem to think "yah it's okay if sometimes comedy is offensive"

:emoji_thinking:

Do people realize that modern hip hop is allowing blackface to reemerge??

no-bugs-bunny.gif

My favorite example of this is when I said one time that the status quo in family courts hurt fathers and mothers in different ways

Ninja remixed that into me agreeing with him that "da radical feminists are outta control".

But it wasn't exactly like that, and he called me something like the "da liberal pied piper of NT" :lol:

He also told you to speak with bass in your voice and used other slurs against you. Probably NT at its best.

yah it seems like the comedians keep winning.

and it looks like we are going to repeat this cycle with Dave.

a thousand person Netflix walkout turned out to be dozens.

blue checks media elites are mad, but the normies seem to think "yah it's okay if sometimes comedy is offensive"
shocking turn of events.
The comedians that complained about jokes involving blackface and race stereotypes becoming taboo won? Umm...

tenor.gif

Kinda seems to me that the point is there have always been these arguments. They are not new, the complaints from comedians aren't either.

And if the cycle is repeating, then Dave's jokes about transgender individuals end up in the same category with blackface and white people throwing out racial stereotypes.

That's what "winning" looks like, really? :lol: :lol:

There will always be a market for offensive, demeaning humor. The question is, do we want that to become mainstream? If the answer is yes, you won't have much to stand on when comedians who specialize in attacking and demeaning groups you identify with become popular and normalize the "jokes".

I just want to see the same "it's just art" energy when folks start wearing Gucci nooses as fashion ties.

"we suffer like you suffer"

i swear this quote just continues to make more and more sense the more that people continue to compare dave's comments to racism

"i cant be racist, i have a black friend"

"im team TERF"

yeah, i too see the similarities

The comedians that complained about jokes involving blackface and race stereotypes becoming taboo won? Umm...

tenor.gif

Kinda seems to me that the point is there have always been these arguments. They are not new, the complaints from comedians aren't either.

And if the cycle is repeating, then Dave's jokes about transgender individuals end up in the same category with blackface and white people throwing out racial stereotypes.

i missed the one about blackface. I guess yes blackface is always unacceptable to use in comedy....

this scene in mad men is still hilarious tho.

xJnyMC4b.gif

The comparison of Black face to Trans issues in the context of American stand up special
I find to be totally insane.

America, it's relationship to black people, from slavery, civil war, reconstructions,
lost cause myth and the racial terrorism and re assertion of white rule in the south...

race is naturally the third rail of American socitey

the reason I say the comedians will win in the end

I don't think you will be able to convince the average American
that every other minority group offense should be treated with the same way as race in America
as the analogy to black face implies.

American is a highly individualistic country the idea and there is a high bar for censorship.

Like I said I could be wrong, maybe the elites will win and speech will at some point really be tantamount to violence.
but I think in the long run most Americans will continue to think "it's fine if comedians sometimes offend."

So basically "elites" convince society that speech is tantamount to violence or we allow comedians to be offensive and think pieces on will spread like wildfire on Twitter. Either way sounds like catnip for you

The comparison of Black face to Trans issues in the context of American stand up special

America, it's relationship to black people, from slavery, civil war, reconstructions,
lost cause myth and the racial terrorism and re assertion of white rule in the south...

the reason I say the comedians will win in the end

I don't think you will be able to convince the average American
that every other minority group offense should be treated with the same way as race in America
as the analogy to black face implies.

American is a highly individualistic country the idea and there is a high bar for censorship.

Like I said I could be wrong, maybe the elites will win and speech will at some point really be tantamount to violence.
but I think in the long run most Americans will continue to think "it's fine if comedians sometimes offend."
Is this in response to my post too? You seem to be alluding to it

Because this seems you are kinda straw-manning of the other side a bit to make your argument here if this is in reference to what I said at the end of my post

Just want to know, because I don't want to spend time addressing this argument if it wasn't in reference to me

Last edited:

tenor.gif

Basically trying to Megyn Kelly the subject with false equivalency.

megyn-kelly-finger-guns.gif

I don't know waht you are trying to say here

Srs

I am being like Megyn Kelly?

No.

Not you.

Blackface = Whiteface = comedians jokes about race = comedians jokes about transgender = jokes are violence = transgender violence = slavery = etc...

Last edited:
to compare dave's comments to racism
I'm always careful to word my argument in such a way that it doesn't only apply to racism. Racism is just one of those issues I draw examples from because we - in this thread - can all relate to how it manifests itself.

My entire point in this discussion has been about how we may not be aware of our blind spots and we end up using words and perpetuating actions that do not affect us, but do impact others in a negative way.

Basically, y'all sound a bit hypocritical.

I disagree.
Religion is just as important as race in the US. In many ways, they are even intertwined.

In fact, it is incomplete to tell the history of the US with no mention of the influence that religious dogma has had on the country's identity, and it is from our religious understanding of genders and gender roles that arises the issue of LGBT acceptance and LGBT rights.

In the mythical tale of America, the strong male figure matters just as much as the race of that figure. The white patriarchy was outside building the country while the woman made sure that the shelter was taken care of, just like the bible instructed. "Where will this country go if we allow the men to play the mums and the women to play the dads?"

Just like the civil rights movement threatened the position of white people on the social totem pole, the LGBT and feminist movements threaten the position of white men in the social hierarchy. All these movements also threaten the myth of America as a country where all the worth is derived from the presence and actions of its white, male, Christian citizens. That's why I find it reasonable to compare all these issues.

I'm always careful to word my argument in such a way that it doesn't only apply to racism. Racism is just one of those issues I draw examples from because we - in this thread - can all relate to how it manifests itself.

My entire point in this discussion has been about how we may not be aware of our blind spots and we end up using words and perpetuating actions that do not affect us, but do impact others in a negative way.

Basically, y'all sound a bit hypocritical.

I disagree.
Religion is just as important as race in the US. In many ways, they are even intertwined.

In fact, it is incomplete to tell the history of the US with no mention of the influence that religious dogma has had on the country's identity, and it is from our religious understanding of genders and gender roles that arises the issue of LGBT acceptance and LGBT rights.

In the mythical tale of America, the strong male figure matters just as much as the race of that figure. The white patriarchy was outside building the country while the woman made sure that the shelter was taken care of, just like the bible instructed. "Where will this country go if we allow the men to play the mums and the women to play the dads?"

Just like the civil rights movement threatened the position of white people on the social totem pole, the LGBT and feminist movements threaten the position of white men in the social hierarchy. All these movements also threaten the myth of America as a country where all the worth is derived from the presence and actions of its white, male, Christian citizens. That's why I find it reasonable to compare all these issues.

What I hear when other groups (insert non black group here) compare themselves to Black people in America...

Everyone seems to feel its Ok to use Black people as the measuring stick with no regard at all for Black people themselves.

"Jokes are violence"

turns on radio...

"I just killed my ops gang gang gang better not come on my block gang gang gang"

Pew Pew Bang Bang Twerk Twerk

"DaBaby shot and killed a [man] in Walmart in North Carolina. Nothing bad happened to his career," the Emmy Award-winner continued. "Do you see where I'm going with this? In our country, you can shoot and kill a [man], but you better not hurt a gay person's feelings."

Last edited:

why are these specific jokes/views/discrimination being compared to racism? why are we comparing being transgender to racism? dont you have any other form of discrimination you can compare it to? or is it JUST racism?

are we going to compare all forms of discrimination, specifically ones that white people face, to racism?

we all know we're not going to, so why THIS ONE?

this is a problem that dave talks about, white minorities are not suffering from racism, or the equivalent of racism, theyre just not

Back
Top Bottom