Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
I noticed what looked like Trans folks in audience. They were laughing at everything but the trans stuff. White women laughing at everything but the women stuff.

People loved when Dave was making fun of black folks but now they want to draw lines when they are the butt of the jokes.
This is all that needs to be said. I don’t know why the arguing in this thread has been so heavy. Dave has made this joke at least 2 or 3 times in his Netflix specials and it’s always crickets when this point is brought up.

I guess that's the question now isn't it.

is speech literally violence?
is the comedy in Dave's special responsible for the murder of trans women.

Im skeptical. call me crazy.

What is your position here? Because it's hard to tell if you're claiming this is the general consensus in the trans community or if you're just arguing against a handful of extreme tweets

It's a new made up buzzword that encapsulates perceived victimhood
I dead serious. I always the “-phobic” meant and extreme fear of something. What did he say that would give someone the impression thats he’s fears trans people. I saw the total opposite. Now, he definitely said some things the trans community doesn’t like, but that doesn’t mean he’s afraid. If anything I think the word “transphobic” is toxic. Its playing on the idea adults aren’t supposed to be afraid. But, I guess if the headline read, “Dave Chappelle doesn’t like Trans people”, it probably wouldn’t hit the same.

There are going to be people in this world that don’t like you. No matter what. Love yourself, then you’ll realize how much of a waste of time it giving time and energy to someone that doesn’t like you. In the streaming age, how do you sit up and watch content from someone you don’t support? Do you not realize partaking is support? You have to ask yourself, if The Closer would’ve bombed, would there be outrage? Hate and Envy tend to dress a like.

A few years ago, I was at the Punch Line in SF for Dave Chappelle and he went back and forth with a trans woman in the audience and she rolled with all the punches. He liked her so much he asked to exchange contacts after the show. That same woman was Daphne which Dave mentioned in the special which was pretty cool to hear but sad end to her story.

What is your position here? Because it's hard to tell if you're claiming this is the general consensus in the trans community or if you're just arguing against a handful of extreme tweets
I really don't think I am, that's the general consensus i've seen.

this thread with like 30k likes lists black trans women who have been murdered as the consequence of daves words.

1633709027504.png

Program officer in LGBT activist group

1633709194276.png

1633709260747.png

Attachments

• 1633709226833.png
    1633709226833.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1633709238717.png
    1633709238717.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 158
The movie imo had a point to make. The show is a completely different beast and it sucks

also wasn’t the show cancelled by Netflix. Easy to never work with somebody that doesn’t wantto work with you

also hilarious the show runner is white

It explains why it's a musical now, like someone didn't care about it and if people watch.

We made our money

What does “transphobic” mean?

Phobic means the extreme fear of something but NOW it means if you don’t fully support said group and have a minor disagreement over something regarding them then you are phobic and hate them.

“Gays are minorities until they need to be white”

What he should’ve said is

“The LGBTQ community are minorities until they need to be white”

Would’ve summed it up perfectly

This special felt like when a comic gets distracted by a heckler except the heckler(s) was only on twitter.

Twitter not a real place but most of his act was responding to comments from the "fake" world of social media.

That's my problem with the special.

What does “transphobic” mean?
In the literal sense, it means you are afraid of trans ppl.

Society's bent on it and the lbgtq community have turned phobia thus phobic to mean hate. So what they're saying is you hate trans ppl. This started back when homophobia and its definition got warped.

Its suppose to basically be the equivalent of being racist or misogynistic.

I really don't think I am, that's the general consensus i've seen.

this thread with like 30k likes lists black trans women who have been murdered as the consequence of daves words.

1633709027504.png

Program officer in LGBT activist group

1633709194276.png

1633709260747.png

These don't really reflect what you've been saying in here

You're interpreting that 30k thread as them directly blaming Dave and his special for murder? How does that add up when those murders all took place before the special even released?

One of them even says "murdered because of societal prejudice"

You're interpreting that 30k thread as them directly blaming Dave and his special for murder? How does that add up when those murders all took place before the special even released?

I love how they keep pointing out id black transgenders in there, like its going to give it more traction. They’re gonna talk themselves out the paint.

I love how they keep pointing out id black transgenders in there, like its going to give it more traction. They’re gonna talk themselves out the paint.

They are probably bringing it up because black trans people are the most highly discriminated and therefore most vulnerable subset

what do they mean by societal prejudice?

the obvious implication, is Daves comedy specials perpetuate societal prejudice that leads directly to the murder of trans people.

what is the point of listing dead black trans people other than to draw a connection between Dave's jokes and their murder?

They are probably bringing it up because black trans people are the most highly discriminated and therefore most vulnerable subset
But Dave never said anything about black trans. He specifically said its white people. They’re doing exactly what he said but putting “black friend” on top.

I think the purpose to use the deaths of black trans people as a cudgel to enforce a totally unworkable ideology

that benefits extremely privileged college educated white cultural elites.

I feel like you have way more people talking about ‘cancel culture‘ and/or talking about how they’re going be ‘canceled’ than the actual people wjo have been canceled

Roseanne Barr had to go full racist in a public way.. but that isn’t nothing new, howard Cosell ended his career after going full racist

but whose career has legit been unjustly hurt?

what do they mean by societal prejudice?

the obvious implication, is Daves comedy specials perpetuate societal prejudice that leads directly to the murder of trans people.

what is the point of listing dead black trans people other than to draw a connection between Dave's jokes and their murder?

Isn't that different from the way you've been framing their commentary?

Maybe it's just me, but saying that discriminatory speech can lead to violence isn't the same as saying discriminatory speech is literally violence

Back
Top Bottom