DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Why has Cyborg been getting such a huge push in the last 2 or 3 years? Not just here but even in the animated universe or Smallville hes been promoted to orginal member status and left the Titans in the dust

It's been like 6-7 years. Ever since New 52 where they retcon'd him into being a founding member of the JL.

Said it before, DC pretty much had an all white JL team (minus one green alien) forever. Specifically focusing on the founding JL members.

They noticed this for some time but didn't do much about it until they wanted to reboot their comics to do the New52. At this time, Hal Jordan as the main GL wasn't in a high favor given the other earth GLs but Geoff Johns loves Hal (same ways he loves Barry more than Wally as Flash) so he continued on working to do that. Doing that for the reboot meant Jon Stewart was not an option.

So now with no black JL members in their reboot they decided to elevate Cyborg since he was the only somewhat prominent black hero with history at DC. At the same time they distanced Martian Manhunter from the team as well to give more room for Cyborg I assume.

And that's basically how it happened. They didn't want to create a new black superhero since it may delegitimize the whole reboot cuz in the past they've tried new characters on the JL team in some form or another where it didnt work.

DC has everything under one roof so it was easy to start pushing Cyborg as a character and JL member in multiple mediums

Last edited:
I think Geoff Johns wanted to diversify the team and he had a history writing the Teen Titans/Titans. So maybe that's who he wanted to elevate.

The key thing to keep in mind is Geoff favored Hal over Jon.

There's a generation of fans that only know Jon as GL. If they wanted a black hero the ground work was already done and it'd be widely accepted.

So Jon was out. That's the decision Geoff made first.

Then it was oh we need another black hero.

And really there weren't many other choices. Slim pickens for prominent black heroes at DC.

Hal was a ringslinger chronologically before John. I love John, but it makes more sense to have an origin squad with Hal. I love Hal too though. Both of them are my favorite DC heroes.

The 2006 Justice League of America run had a nice line-up with Vixen and Black Lightning. The roster was huge too, which wouldn't make sense to start that big with a reboot, but Vixen on the New 52 squad would of been dope. The current JLA run with her on it hasn't been the greatest, but the Rebirth Vixen one shot was really good.

The key thing to keep in mind is Geoff favored Hal over Jon.

There's a generation of fans that only know Jon as GL. If they wanted a black hero the ground work was already done and it'd be widely accepted.

So Jon was out. That's the decision Geoff made first.

Then it was oh we need another black hero.

And really there weren't many other choices. Slim pickens for prominent black heroes at DC.

On the topic of the GL, I would be for having Hal Jordan in the league and doing a separate movie for Jon to further explore the lantern corps. Hal can guest star every once in a while but I would rather have Jordan in the league since thats what I grew up on

We're getting both Hal and Jon in the GLC movie. It's been confirmed to feature both of them and described as "Lethal Weapon in space". :pimp:

We're getting both Hal and Jon in the GLC movie. It's been confirmed to feature both of them and described as "Lethal Weapon in space". :pimp:
Green-Lantern-Movie-Tyrese-Gibson1.jpg

It at least has to be somebody with some history.

Plus there have been heroes that were created for cartoons that weren't for comics and they came along in the comics way after and I mean way after. Like the Black Vulcan pic you posted. A character created cuz they couldn't use Black Lightning.

Cuz if there were no obstacles in the comic medium they would've just created a hero that checks their minority boxes.

How many _____ Tiger's are there? :lol: :rofl:
:lol: Got real crazy there for a min.

There's a Midnight Tiger too.
black dolphin?

he coulda been childhood friends with aquaman :emoji_blush:
:lol:

Last edited:
I hate they killed Clark Kent in BvS...you can bring back Superman from the dead, but how you gonna bring back Clark? |l

I'm lost, they had a funeral for Clark in BvS? I cant remember but that is a great point if they did kill him off

Back
Top Bottom