Dead Malls aka When malls were poppin'...

Columbia Mall and Annapolis are doing fine for the most part. Annapolis recently lost Nordstrom’s, but they both still have elevated stores compared to PG malls.

The only time I really go to PG Plaza is if I’m nearby and need something from Target. Same with Beltway Plaza. Used to do matinees there some years back, but never really walked in the mall. The last time I did there was nothing but medical scrub shops, quinceañera dresses, discount stores (tjmaxx/Marshall’s/etc) and papuserias.

Low end malls are dead. They’ve been put out of business by the big online retailers. High end malls are doing fine cause people still like to look at expensive things in person. That’s why South Coast Plaza, the Grove, Fashion Valley, Bellevue Square, and even Washington Square here on the west coast are doing fine.

Low end malls are dead. They’ve been put out of business by the big online retailers. High end malls are doing fine cause people still like to look at expensive things in person. That’s why South Coast Plaza, the Grove, Fashion Valley, Bellevue Square, and even Washington Square here on the west coast are doing fine.

I frequent South Coast Plaza. They’re holding their own. I was just at Glendale Galleria the other day, ish was packed.

830cee7017e18d620841e5bd75519f50.png

I was just at Glendale Galleria the other day, ish was packed.
This is another mall I have fond memories of from the 80’s. My grandmother lived in walking distance on Lomita street and my aunt worked at JC Penny fresh out of high school. I spent several weekends shopping and browsing it. Loved the old school 70’s look and their many toy stores. Kay-Bee was my favorite followed by this one store that had R/C cars as well as video game consoles. There’s footage of what the mall looked like as the 1984 movie “Cloak and Dagger” was filmed there.

The place looks nothing like I remember it. It’s all white paint and chrome and glass now :lol:

Yea, they completely remodeled that mall over these past few years. As well as adding that outdoor portion just outside, The Americana.

Queens Center Mall still doing numbers. Skyview Mall lost a couple of stores (Michaels, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bob's Furniture) but their Nike Clearance and Adidas stores are doing well. Uniqlo too. They're about to open a Burlington Coat Factory in there (October I think). They already have a Marshalls. That's the spot for Fila Grant Hills and Nike Tech for the low low. Sometimes even 'Lo for the Low.

Yea, they completely remodeled that mall over these past few years. As well as adding that outdoor portion just outside, The Americana.

Yup! I remember walking in sometime in 1998 and saw that they re-did the floor tiles. From 70’s styled red/orange/brown carpets to all white floor. That was the beginning and the rest came soon after.

Here’s another clip of the 1985 tv show “The Twilight Zone” where they filmed an entire episode in and outside of the Glendale Galleria. They show you the original entrance to the corner of the mall before they changed it to the corner area of where Target stands today.

I’m from Orlando. West Oaks Mall was popping when I was a youngin. Then all of a sudden it just went bad. So weird

Most malls in Houston I think are doing well. Sharpstown turned to PlazAmericas a while ago. West Oaks became a outlet mall I think like 2-3 years ago with absolutely no stores to shop in there for. Went like a month ago and the majority of the stores were closed.

They even recently lost the FootLocker location there, only foot store left is Champs.

I decided to grave dig my own thread because the Fairgrounds Square Mall, which I posted about in the OP, is closing its internal operations in a few days. The few anchor stores and the movie theater will remain open.

I went back to the Fairgrounds a few days ago and took pics.

It's been three years since the Fairgrounds Mall closed and got torn down last year.

The two anchor stores (Boscov's and Burlington) are still there, as well as the movie theater, but everything else gone and replaced with roads and grass.

I should get some photos sometime.

I passed by the old Fairgrounds and this is how it looks now:

PXL_20210904_170416794.jpg

PXL_20210904_170434260.jpg

PXL_20210904_170820648.jpg

PXL_20210904_170827418.jpg

wonder how long the Columbia Mall has left? I know Lord and Taylor Sears (replaced with event-something and a grocery store) shut down.

guess Harbor Place in Baltimore is dead too - Inner Harbor was fun as a kid...Espn Zone, National Aquarium, Science Center, and Harbor Place shops

DC is about to send me down this rabbit hole with this channel :lol:

Man I watched like 8 of those that week.

Cool channel

Went to the mall yesterday, saw that the sears finally closed. Previously kohl's, century 21, and jcpenney all closed. Only department store left is macy's. Wish the mall would turn into an outlet mall or at least have a nordstrom rack and uniqlo.

Queens Center Mall still doing numbers. Skyview Mall lost a couple of stores (Michaels, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bob's Furniture) but their Nike Clearance and Adidas stores are doing well. Uniqlo too. They're about to open a Burlington Coat Factory in there (October I think). They already have a Marshalls. That's the spot for Fila Grant Hills and Nike Tech for the low low. Sometimes even 'Lo for the Low.

I never been to that Skyview mall you posted. I looked it up it's in Flushing where wifey goes and by fish and stuff from the fish market section that's not to far away. I would check it out but it's so packed around there so I can't imagine how hectic that mall would be.

I also passed by Queens Center Mall yesterday and man did it look busy from the front it's like Covid didn't affect the foot traffic their.

I never been to that Skyview mall you posted. I looked it up it's in Flushing where wifey goes and by fish and stuff from the fish market section that's not to far away. I would check it out but it's so packed around there so I can't imagine how hectic that mall would be.

I also passed by Queens Center Mall yesterday and man did it look busy from the front it's like Covid didn't affect the foot traffic their.

Skyview started out kind of dead but once they added the Nike and Adidas clearance stores a few years ago, foot traffic picked up and remained consistent. They even made both stores larger over the years. That Nike store is kind of the reason why I signed up to NT.

As long as Queens Center is opened, people will go. Younger people who are less concerned with Covid, love going there to hangout. I haven’t been there in a minute myself.

Bellevue Square isn't really high end, it's more mid-tier (although, it's much better than it was ten years ago). The Bravern has all the luxury retailers, and even then, Neiman Marcus closed.

The appeal of Bellevue Square these days is the Lincoln Square towers, which is essentially an extension of the mall and focuses solely on dining and entertainment. There's two Cinemarks (one all ages, one 21+), a Lucky Strike (the #1 revenue location in the chain) and a ton of restaurants. They're also building up massively around the mall. Within three years, downtown Bellevue will be unrecognizable even compared to today. It's one giant construction zone at the moment.

Also, if anyone wants a really detailed breakdown of how Northgate - America's OG mall - and the surrounding area is transforming, this is a good link. The light rail station opens in less than a month, which is huge. The NHL practice facilities will be there, as well as community ice rinks. It's wild. Personally, I'm looking forward to it because the bus I take into the city is now re-directed to that station, as opposed to going downtown. A $70 Uber ride to get to a Mariners or Seahawks game just became a $5 trip with one transfer to light rail, and will take less time if you factor in I-5 traffic.

Skyview started out kind of dead but once they added the Nike and Adidas clearance stores a few years ago, foot traffic picked up and remained consistent. They even made both stores larger over the years. That Nike store is kind of the reason why I signed up to NT.

As long as Queens Center is opened, people will go. Younger people who are less concerned with Covid, love going there to hangout. I haven’t been there in a minute myself.

Okay cool I'll check out that Skyview Mall maybe but not anytime soon.

How did going to that Mall make you sign up to NT... just curious lol.

In SO Cal... Del Amo Mall, SouthCoast Plaza, and The Grove are not going anywhere! Haven’t been the Beverly Center in a min. Ontario Mills can be added too but don’t fade with that mall to often. Bunch of walking for nothing worth wild.

Okay cool I'll check out that Skyview Mall maybe but not anytime soon.

How did going to that Mall make you sign up to NT... just curious lol.

I kind of stopped giving a **** about kicks for a while. Then they opened that store, I found myself going there a lot. It made me interested in kicks again. I've always known about NT but never signed up. But because of the Nike store, I wanted some kind of outlet to talk about the store and what shoes were on sale. That Nike store opened in May 2015, I signed up here a few months after that.

Fortnite creator copped a mall to turn into their corporate campus .. thought that was a smart real estate flip

Back
Top Bottom