Dead Malls aka When malls were poppin'...

I managed a store @ Eastland Mall in Bloomington IL and... man that was definitely a struggle. Mall was beyond saving at that point, all the anchor stores were either closed or closing, and they had just spent hundreds of thousands of dollars remodeling the store right before Macy's pulled out and the mall started to go, so the bonus was **** too.

Outlet malls are where it's at.

A lot of malls from the 70s/80s/90s became outdated in certain neighborhoods. If a "mega mall" was built close by, the smaller malls suffered. Some malls were torn down and created "town centers" where there is retail, and other services (gyms, Massage Envy, Restaurants, and Medical Offices .

Laurel Mall in PG County was torn down and rebuilt as Laurel Town Center...Owings Mills in Baltimore I think was torn down and down the street was built Foundry Row, a Town Center.

Laurel Mall before:

2169891074_b0cd729bed_b.jpg

laurel-mall-06.jpg

laurel-mall-03.jpg

Laurel Town Center:
townecentre_laurel_02_lg.jpg
o.jpg
TowneCentreAtLaurel03.jpg

^^^ always wanted to go there

Malls wont be dead today.

Where i live we got 2 malls. The white people mall and the black people mall.

Im a mall person. Wen i was small my mother and sister would spend hours at the mall and id just walk around.

Not one mall where i was raised or am currently staying at has closed.
Some have fallen off but not closed.

Is all of this still true?

we used to have 3 main malls here. none have shut down and we have actually added one more.
as an adult, malls don't appeal much to me. probably because i hate crowds and i shop online if anything. my kids love em though. lego store, target, gelato shop etc. they love going to the mall but we rarely go cause of the crowds and covid risk.

By my house, I don’t know how the Puente Hills Mall (where they filmed a scene from Back to the Future) is still standing. It is beyond dead. It has a depleted Macys and Ross as anchor stores. No shoe stores other than an outdated Champs that only carries clearance items. Their store layout is still from the 90’s. They have an AMC theater, but with covid, not sure how much traffic they’re getting.

You ever find anything worth a damn in there?

No shoes, but a couple of times I copped some Nike basketball shorts. It’s weird, they never seem to get mixed sizes of anything. It’s like all the same size of whatever style the item is. Either all medium, large, etc…

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican

That's funny I was just there on Saturday getting my haircut. City place is more live now than ever before but still sucks compared to most malls in this area.

Its the only place that has Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx and Burlington in the same building tho lol.

Nouss Nouss City Place was always so far from my side of town that I rarely went there growing up. I don't think I have been inside that mall 20 times.

However, I used to ALWAYS go there for the movies from about 05-15. Not sure why.

The outside area is nice and chill though. Definitely a spot to people watch and chill when the sun is setting.

Where the Grass Area/Ice SKating and the area by the PotBelly's/Fountains.

By my house, I don’t know how the Puente Hills Mall (where they filmed a scene from Back to the Future) is still standing. It is beyond dead.
This mall was kinda dead even when I visited the area back in 2006. Hardly anyone in there but the Champs store did have some shoes I picked up on the cheap.

Yea, it’s been dead for a very long time. They had a dope arcade though, Tilt.

I want to say I entered their arcade but can’t say I stuck around to play. It was one of those “damn, I don’t know this mall. Where’s the sneaker stores?” Kinda thing :lol:

are there any malls in the DC area that are somewhat thriving or the ones left barely holding on?

The last one I went to was Tyson's for my previous employer's all-hands meeting in 2019, which seemed lively enough.

Once the 2000’s came around, arcades were also dying.
Facts. I remember many of the older machines didn’t work and there weren’t many kids playing. Some adults but there were few. I guess most went with home consoles since it was cheaper and more convenient. The one I loved going to was in the Northridge mall but traffic slowed down and the arcade closed. That exact space is now the police/security station for the mall. Saddening whenever I walk past it :frown::smh:

Back
Top Bottom