Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

This Ricky Rubio situation is gonna be something to watch over the next couple of weeks....not saying that he ever would, but imagine if this cat pulled a FranVasquez????

DraftExpress reported on Thursday that Ricky Rubio's agent will attempt to dissuade the Grizzlies and Thunder from drafting his client.

"A general manager and an owner are not going to succumb to an agent saying, 'If you select my player he's not going to come here,'" said Aaron Goodwin.

"If a GM does, he won't be a GM much longer."

Some people believe cities such as Oklahoma City will have a tough time convincing players to come join their franchise.

"I don't think (Oklahoma City) needs to be leery of that," Goodwin said. "What (general manager) Sam (Presti) is doing is building a good team there. And players go to places that have two things, a good team and a good fan base, period. You're in town to play basketball and make sure that the fans enjoy you playing basketball and to hopefully win championships. That's what they're trying to build down there.

"Each city that has an NBA franchise didn't start off as a dominant city to be in. It had to be built over the years."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...m_will_give_in_to_threats_from_rubios_agent/#

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

This Ricky Rubio situation is gonna be something to watch over the next couple of weeks....not saying that he ever would, but imagine if this cat pulled a Fran Vasquez????

DraftExpress reported on Thursday that Ricky Rubio's agent will attempt to dissuade the Grizzlies and Thunder from drafting his client.

"A general manager and an owner are not going to succumb to an agent saying, 'If you select my player he's not going to come here,'" said Aaron Goodwin.

"If a GM does, he won't be a GM much longer."

Some people believe cities such as Oklahoma City will have a tough time convincing players to come join their franchise.

"I don't think (Oklahoma City) needs to be leery of that," Goodwin said. "What (general manager) Sam (Presti) is doing is building a good team there. And players go to places that have two things, a good team and a good fan base, period. You're in town to play basketball and make sure that the fans enjoy you playing basketball and to hopefully win championships. That's what they're trying to build down there.

"Each city that has an NBA franchise didn't start off as a dominant city to be in. It had to be built over the years."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...m_will_give_in_to_threats_from_rubios_agent/#
Ricky Rubio is an idiot. Dude hasn't played one NBA game yet now he's trying to say he doesn't want to play for Memphis orOKC..Playing w/ Gay Mayo or Westbrook Green Durant would be a point guards dream. ..I still can't believe they got this clown as a lottery pick and TyLawson isn't a Lottery pick is insane.

Look for the Thunder to be pretty active in trade discussions with the No. 3 pick. They like Rubio, but if they draft him, they'd have to move Russell Westbrook to the 2-guard position. I talked to Thunder head coach Scott Brooks on Tuesday and he said that he believes Westbrook can play the 2, but that Westbrook wants to be a 1.

I think the challenge is that Westbrook is most effective when he has the ball in his hands and struggles more when forced to play off the ball. With Rubio and Kevin Durant likely to have the ball a lot in that offense, Westbrook would have to make an adjustment. When you factor in that neither Rubio nor Westbrook is an accomplished shooter yet, there is an issue.

That's why a couple of teams think the Thunder might be willing to trade down in the draft. Two league sources said the Wizards and Thunder already had discussions about a swap of the No. 3 pick for the No. 5 pick and the Wizards' 2008 first-rounder JaVale McGee.

The Wizards want Rubio and would settle for Thabeet if he's the one who falls. The Thunder would get a long, lanky shot-blocker in McGee and can then get another guy they like, Arizona State's James Harden, at No. 5.
Chad Ford Insider
eek.gif
eek.gif

DO IT WITHOUT QUESTION.

sick.gif
at how talented that team would be

sick.gif
sick.gif
at how weak (strength wise) they would be at the 3-5

-Austin Daye is another player with some strong hype at the moment. "He's the most skilled player in the draft" one executive told us recently. "He's not as soft as people think. He's going to get drafted between 10 and 15. If he works out great, he may even go earlier."

This dude is certified trash. Most skilled player in the draft? I thought defense and rebounding were skills.

few thoughts on what ive read on here…….

1) the NBA should look more at what these kids actually did ON THE COURT in college.
Holiday--did not live up to his hype in his 1st yr. He has amazing POTENTIAL
Daye--is extremely soft. Carolina went right at him and he backed away in the tournament. He's backed away all career
Harden--did anyone watch AZ St.'s NCAA tourney? Holy crap, this guy dissappeared like Casper the ghost. Most overrated of those predicted to be lotteryimo.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

sam young will IMMEDIATELY contribute in the NBA ... dude will average at least 20 per game if he starts on a squad ... ty will be the best pg in this draft class ... harden and blake will probably battle it out for rookie of the year ... and chase will dominate

i dont care what pick i have, id go down that list and draft the best player available ...
LMFAO.
roll.gif

The Eminem thread is thata way. -------->
Keep the outlandish comments in there please.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Cardo...u still think Danny Green is going lottery?

If he doesnt then that says alot about why those teams are picking in the lottery.

I also wouldn't mind Jeff Teague/Ty Lawson at #19, but hopefully someone falls..
nerd.gif
Flynn

^
Danny isnt a lotto pick because of his lack of lateral quickness.

He's a do everything well type of player though and will play in the NBA for many many years.

Originally Posted by manamazing55

1) the NBA should look more at what these kids actually did ON THE COURT in college.
Daye--is extremely soft. Carolina went right at him and he backed away in the tournament. He's backed away all career
Harden--did anyone watch AZ St.'s NCAA tourney? Holy crap, this guy dissappeared like Casper the ghost. Most overrated of those predicted to be lottery imo.
You are drafting off of POTENTIAL. If someone has any sort of potential where a GM can envision them helping their squad in the near future, theygo in the first two rounds....this is exactly why guys like Daye and Holliday are considered in the first place...

And regarding Harden...

he'soverrated because of a poor showing in the NCAA's, and it's also a good measure of how he'll turn out as a pro...
grin.gif

How about you look at the other 70+ games he played in his career...

DoubleJs07 wrote:
Originally Posted by manamazing55

Harden--did anyone watch AZ St.'s NCAA tourney? Holy crap, this guy dissappeared like Casper the ghost. Most overrated of those predicted to be lottery imo.
You are drafting off of POTENTIAL. If someone has any sort of potential where a GM can envision them helping their squad in the near future, they go in the first two rounds....this is exactly why guys like Daye and Holliday are considered in the first place...

And regarding Harden...

he'soverrated because of a poor showing in the NCAA's, and it's also a good measure of how he'll turn out as a pro...
grin.gif

How about you look at the other 70+ games he played in his career...

youre right, its probably not fair that I cast such a wide net, but you have to admit, if your best player dissappears on you in the tourney, its not a goodindicator.

The NBA has been about potential for years, BUT the funny thing is, many of these kids realize their potential, not on the team that drafted them, but on thenext team they are on. As to your point, Daye is probaly 3 years away from being in a rotation on a good team. Holiday probably in two years will be playingsignificant minutes because he has all the physical tools

again, lemme know when Harden will have to play the high post against a 2-3 in the NBA.

I can't stress enough how much his team sucked.

I just wanna know if Walsh and/or Dolan are seriously considering buying another pick later in the draft.

We probably could use that.

The thing that gets me with this Rubio mess is Rubio isn't even the one sayin this stuff. He's still playing in the playoffs with his team. Idon't even think Fegan actually said it becaue a sports writer in Memphis has said that Dan Fegan wouldn't mind Rubio coming to Memphis as long as theyweren't committed to keeping Conley as the PG which is understandable.

As for Hansborough, say what you want about the guy but if he's there at the 27th pick I would look at taking him. The guy knows how to hustle, reboundand is a team player. That's stuff you can't teach and he will have a solid role player type career thats a good teammate. I wasn't a fan of him incollege, but the guy can flat out hustle. If Memphis were to trade down somewhere in the 6-10 range, I would like to see Evans, Derozan or Clark. 10-16 range Iwould like to look at Blair and T-Williams.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace said Friday there was cordial talk -- and no threats -- when he met with the agent for Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio.

"We had a productive and wide-ranging discussion. It was a good meeting," Wallace said from Los Angeles before he boarded a plane for Spain to watch the 18-year-old Rubio, who according to an Internet report might not want to play in Memphis.

Despite the report by Draftexpress.com, the Griz, who have the No. 2 pick in the June 25 draft, have yet to receive a similar vibe directly from Rubio's camp.

Wallace said he had a "cordial meeting" with Rubio agent Dan Fegan.

"I also talked to him about some of his other clients," Wallace said. "We're very early in this process."

After Oklahoma's Blake Griffin, Rubio is widely considered the draft's second-best prospect.

Citing unnamed sources, Draftexpress.com reported this week that Fegan would rather steer Rubio to Los Angeles -- where the Clippers have the No. 1 pick.

Fegan unsuccessfully attempted to bully the Milwaukee Bucks into passing on Yi Jianlian in the 2007 draft. The Bucks took Yi anyway.

Wallace and Griz coach Lionel Hollins will watch Rubio play in an ACB playoff game today in Madrid. They will then visit with Rubio and his family near Barcelona.

"We'll meet with him and go from there," Wallace said.

Wallace acknowledged that the Griz are high on Rubio's abilities but pointed out that the team has just begun to explore a number of options.

Memphis will explore trying to trade up and swap picks with the Clippers so it can land Griffin. The Griz will also listen to offers to move down in the draft, possibly acquiring an established NBA talent, or staying at No. 2 and possibly grabbing Rubio.

"We've got a long way to go," said Wallace, who also met with Connecticut center Hasheem Thabeet and his agent, Bill Duffy, Thursday in Los Angeles.

While Thabeet is considered among the draft's top three prospects, the general consensus is the Griz would select Rubio at No.2.
Finally comments from the people that matter about the Rubio situation.

Back
Top Bottom