Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

Apparently Greivis Vasquez has been performing really well in his workouts and is likely going to enter the draft. Rumor has it that the Cavs like him and maytake him with their pick.

Not sure how many of you have noticed...but the Timberwolves have three first round draft picks...

Look for us to package the #18 and #28 to move up and get a second pick in the lottery. Rumors are flying about that.

Man I love the draft. Hope the Lakers get a useful player out of the draft for once. Who was the Last one??? Kobe?

Marc Gasol (not really their pick.... cuz yall got Pau out of it
laugh.gif
)
Bynum?
Farmar?
Turiaf?
Vujacic?

Check this out....

Clank.

Clank.

Clank.

Clank.

Whoosh (the sound of an airball).

A nervous, uncomfortable feeling spreads around the NYAC in New York City as the projected #1 overall pick in the draft bricks shot after shot.

What is going on here?

Clearly Blake Griffin has something on his mind, beyond the minor pain he's suffering in two of his fingers, a byproduct of a drill he did last week in which he had to complete 750 push-ups in 80 minutes.

"I haven't had time to eat much today," Griffin explains sheepishly afterwards. "I wasn't feeling so hot out there to start off."

While no one would expect Griffin to look like Rip Hamilton shooting jumpers from 18-20 feet out, no one would expect him to look like Shaq at the free throw line either. There is nothing fluid about his jumper today, particularly in the rigidness of his left elbow, even if his mechanics really aren't that bad.

Article Continued...

for as much bounce as he's got, he barely get's off the ground on his jumper. I hope the Wiz get someone good...

I don't see anything to be alarmed about in that video...

Originally Posted by JPZx

I don't see anything to be alarmed about in that video...
Same.

If he's lucky, he'll because as good as Shawn Kemp... and I don't know if he'll ever have the jumper Kemp had, which isn't saying much.

Rubio is going to disappoint a lot of people IMO. I just don't see him doing work in the NBA.

Lazy B wrote:

Rubio is going to disappoint a lot of people IMO. I just don't see him doing work in the NBA.

I would say the same thing if he didn't already have the tools of a successful PG. It's not even really about his potential, the guy is basicallyalready good and he will just get better with age. I don't like how people say his shooting, size and speed will slow him down. Just take a look at yourfavorite PG's in the league right now at the age of 18 and tell me how good they were. I mean look at Rubio's strengths on draftexpress:

STRENGTHS:
- Ability to get to free throw line
- Craftiness
- Decision making
- Executes offensively
- Offensive creativity
- Pick and roll play
- Pure point guard
- Ability to create w/either hand
- Advanced ball-handling skills
- Change of gears/Hesitation moves
- Ability to contest shots
- Ability to get in passing lanes
- Defensive awareness
- Off-ball defense
- Basketball IQ
- Clutch
- Coachable
- Competitiveness
- Confidence
- Experience
- Fundamentals
- Leadership skills
- Likelihood of reaching potential
- Maturity
- Mental toughness
- Unselfishness
- Winning mentality
- Work ethic
- Basketball instincts
- High-level productivity
- Ability to create for others
- Court vision
- Excellent wingspan
- Size for position
- 3-point shooting percentages
- Ability to catch and shoot
Most of his weaknesses aren't even major problems that can't be fixed. Even if he doesn't become a superstar PG in the league, he willdefinitely become an all-star guard. If Rondo can do it (which many people compare him to), Rubio can. Knowing that most people aren't patient with playersand expect them to average 20 and 10 their first season, he will be rode off as bust in his first season. I expect him to put up maybe around 10-12ppg, 7apg,4rpg and 2spg his first season if he starts. I'll wait on the workouts to come before I make further judgement.

After the Darko and Oden (up to now) debacles, I'll reserve my judgements till I see Rubio playing games
laugh.gif

Here's another snippet of an article:

"That's what he does," said Tony Barone Jr., pointing at the big screen. "And it was the right pass, too."

We are planted at the big table in the big conference room. We are watching the man who should be paired with O.J. Mayo to give the Grizzlies the most electric backcourt in the NBA for the next ten years.

Ricky Rubio.

The no-brainer choice for the Grizzlies with the No. 2 pick in the draft if the team can't trade up to No. 1.

Oh, Barone does not come right out and say this, exactly. He is the Grizzlies director of scouting.

He has to remain cool and dispassionate.

But how do you remain cool after the kid has just finished a break by throwing a behind-the-back no-look pass for a layup?

"People ask me if he's Jason Williams," Barone Jr. said. "I love Jason but he'd kill to do some of the stuff this kid does."

Which is why Barone Jr. is spending his Saturday in a conference room, at Grizzlies headquarters, watching a playoff game from Madrid over the Internet.

It could be the last game of the season for Rubio. The Grizzlies sent Chris Wallace and Lionel Hollins -- the GM and coach -- to watch the game live.

Tony Barone Sr. scouted Rubio last week. Barone Jr. has seen him four times over the last few years.

"This is not some flash-in-the-pan," he said. "People have been talking about this guy since he was 12."

And, yes. Barone Jr. loves him. Might as well put that on the table right away.

"If we took him, I'm not sure how many fans would be excited,' he said. "But as soon as they saw him play, they'd be like, 'You have to go see this kid.'" Barone Jr. flips to the feed of the game from Spain. He points out Ricky -- that's the name he wears on the back of his green uniform -- with his Beatlesque mop of hair.

"The Pete Maravich comparison is unfair," said Barone Jr. "He doesn't score anything close to the way Maravich scored. But Rubio has an unmistakable presence about him. You don't want to look away."
I honestly don't know what people saw in Darko, but I just didn't think he would become some 20 and 10 guy in the league. I've beenpretty solid on my judgements towards top prospects in the draft for the past 5-6 years now. I'm not expert, but sometime I just have a sense for whowon't be that good. I still think Oden can be good if he stopped getting hurt, but I kinda figured he wouldn't be the next great big man. I was withRubio even before Memphis got the 2nd pick. The only way I wouldn't want him is if Memphis can trade up which I think is pretty possible since LAC canunload a few big contracts on us.

I don't really know why people were up on Darko either, but it was before I started analyzing the league as much as I do now so I can't put it intoperspective.

As for Rubio, I'm stoked for the kid, I really like him, I like what I've seen from him, and I've yet to be disappointed by a Spanish player. Hejust seems to have that IT-factor.

"People ask me if he's Jason Williams," Barone Jr. said. "I love Jason but he'd kill to do some of the stuff this kid does."
Whoa now, lets not disrespect JWill like that

My dude is one of a kind

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I don't really know why people were up on Darko either, but it was before I started analyzing the league as much as I do now so I can't put it into perspective.

As for Rubio, I'm stoked for the kid, I really like him, I like what I've seen from him, and I've yet to be disappointed by a Spanish player. He just seems to have that IT-factor.
Hmm I wonder what people saw in a 18 year old incredibly mobile and athletic 7 foot tall center, great shot blocker and soft touch around thebasket?? Cmon man.
laugh.gif

People need to stop employing revisionist history every scout had Darko up there and physically he has every tool you look for in a prospect, his problem is inhis head, dude is not right in the brain.

Funny thing is the guy is only 23 if he takes some zoloft and sees a psychiatrist, maybe he puts it together.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I don't really know why people were up on Darko either, but it was before I started analyzing the league as much as I do now so I can't put it into perspective.

As for Rubio, I'm stoked for the kid, I really like him, I like what I've seen from him, and I've yet to be disappointed by a Spanish player. He just seems to have that IT-factor.
Hmm I wonder what people saw in a 18 year old incredibly mobile and athletic 7 foot tall center, great shot blocker and soft touch around the basket?? Cmon man.
laugh.gif

People need to stop employing revisionist history every scout had Darko up there and physically he has every tool you look for in a prospect, his problem is in his head, dude is not right in the brain.

Funny thing is the guy is only 23 if he takes some zoloft and sees a psychiatrist, maybe he puts it together.
laugh.gif
That's the thing with Ricky, I think he has the CONFIDENCE in himself to excel in the League. Oden, Darko, they don't have the passion tobe a great player, at least not right now. Both are very young and they still have time to prove themselves.

Kaman was a similar scenario a few years back. It wasn't quite his confidence that was at question, but his mental state of mind where he tookanti-depressants or some drugs for ADHD or something and he was taking too much,a nd it was hindering him on the court. He was good by-all-means, but once hewas straightened out, he made HUGE strides in his game. There was an ESPN special on it a while back, and it's just there are some things that hold playersback. I don't think Rubio has anything to hold him back.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by StarburyPtGod

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

why in all bloody hell is sam young so low? LOL ... the "experts" have this class all screwed up ... best players will be as follows (feel free to print screen and quote) ...

1. Blake Griffin
2. James Harden
3. Ty Lawson
4. Sam Young
5. Chase Buddinger
Sam Young is old for his class. He's like 24.

Chase Buddinger = Luke Jackson pt. 2

Sam Young is Sam Young. I don't see him getting any better than he already is because he has no ceiling. He's the age of Lebron James
laugh.gif
. I think Chase Buddinger will be a solid role player though.

sam young will IMMEDIATELY contribute in the NBA ... dude will average at least 20 per game if he starts on a squad ... ty will be the best pg in this draft class ... harden and blake will probably battle it out for rookie of the year ... and chase will dominate

i dont care what pick i have, id go down that list and draft the best player available ...
...rubio?

Originally Posted by jville819

Whoa now, lets not disrespect JWill like that

My dude is one of a kind

Have you seen some of the passes Rubio makes? The thing with Rubio is he gives you the excitement of J-Will, but can play defense and doesn't go off on ashooting spree. J-Will definitely brought excitement to Memphis during the time he was here, but his defense hurt us. One thing the Grizz been missing inMemphis is a good defensive backcourt. With Rubio coming in and OJ getting better, the exterior defense will definitely make the interior better.

People are sleepin on Ty Lawson

His speed and ability to get to the rim off the fast break will make him successful in the league

Im not really feelin Blake Griffin's game as much as a lot of people on here though... I like Thabeet's potential on D more than Blake's potentialon O... I dont think he will ever be a good shooter. And he is NOT Shawn Kemp.

OJ was horrendous defensively last year but so was every rookie guard (Derrick Rose in particular) but hopefully OJ develops into that defensive stopper Ihoped he would become. I gotta go look back at the numbers it seems like almost all guards get torched on D early.

Ricky will probably get torched as well.

Back
Top Bottom