Delete

Another thing to add there has been always speculation that Greg Roman and staff hold back a lot of their plays for "important games". I saw a lot of good plays sprinkled in between all the generic crap and i'm starting to believe that speculation is true.

Last edited:
no, i believe it too. i've heard numerous times that they dont like to show their cards because they don't want other teams to have tape on it. HOWEVERRR....damn it scares me that their play is soo predictable right now :smh: :lol:

yup these mother!@#$ers are holding back plays.

97 G-rub: 49ers 'popped one' at the perfect time, Greg Roman says

SAN FRANCISCO - Colin Kaepernick's eight-yard run late in the fourth quarter Sunday should have looked familiar to 49ers fans, offensive coordinator Greg Roman said after the game.

Facing third and 7 at the Seattle 15-yard line and wanting to shave precious seconds off the clock, Kaepernick rolled to his left, picked up blocks from receivers Mario Manningham and Anquan Boldin, guard Adam Snyder and left tackle Joe Staley and dove for the first down.

Four plays after that, Phil Dawson kicked home a short field goal that gave the 49ers a 19-17 win over arch-rival Seattle and reaffirmed that they not only can beat a playoff-caliber opponent - something they hadn't done all season - but are one of the better teams in the NFL with three games left to play.

"Enjoy it?" Jim Harbaugh said when asked about the win. "That's not the word I would use. It feels like (when) you go to the dentist chair, and three and a half hours of getting root canal work done. They're tough. These games are only for the tough."

Afterward, Roman noted that Kaepernick's run was virtually the same one former quarterback Alex Smith made nearly two years ago against the Saints in the divisional round of the playoffs.
The 49ers were trailing New Orleans by a point and were facing third-down and 8 when Smith took off to his left. The run ended with the quarterback scoring a 28-yard touchdown.

Kaepernick didn't make it into the end zone on his run. But the critical first down assured that Dawson - who earlier in the day had a set a 49ers record for consecutive field goals - would have a chip-attempt and that Kaepernick's counterpart, Russell Wilson, would have only a few seconds for a comeback.

"Very similar," Roman said of the plays. "As a matter of fact, I thought there'd be some irony there if we did the same shift and everything."

That wasn't the only key play Roman was holding in reserve.

During the week, he talked about how "chunk" plays - gains of 20 yards or more - would be key in toppling Seattle's No.-1 ranked defense. Before their game-winning drive, the 49ers only had two such plays - a 27-yard reception by Anquan Boldin and 20 yarder by Boldin.

After Seattle had taken a one-point lead with 6:25 remaining on a Steve Hauschka field goal, however, Roman dialed a play - called 97 G-rub - he hadn't called all season. Roman said the play, an outside run to the left by Frank Gore, was unique because of the angles used by the 49ers blockers against the fast and aggressive Seahawks defenders.

Every San Francisco linemen had a solid block off the snap and Gore cut back to his right against the pursuing Seahawks defense at precisely the right time. At that point Gore saw something he'd seldom seen since the 49ers' bye - room to roam - and ran 51 yards before sliding down in bounds to keep the clock running.

"It's hard to get hats on hats against the Seahawks," Roman said. "They like to outnumber you. They keep a lot of dudes down around the box. They're a hell of a defense. And everybody got the job done, it looked like and Frank got it done."

After the game the team's offensive linemen said the 49ers knew the play would work. It was just a matter of finding the right time to run it, something that Roman said he wrestled with earlier in the game. Said center Jonathan Goodwin: "Fortunately for whatever reason it got held until the end of the game and it popped big for us."

Gore hadn't topped 100 yards since Oct. 13 against the Cardinals, and he hadn't even reached 50 yards in the 49ers' last three contests. He not only finished Sunday's game with 110 yards but did it against the top-ranked defense in the NFL.

"We popped one," Roman said. "And it's been tough to pop 'em lately. We finally caught one at the perfect time."

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...rfect-time-greg-roman-says.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Did anybody else see the Seattle fan in the game thread actually say looks like our offense has been tailored for frank gore strengths and not Kaep's. dude was talkin out his *** like he knew something bout football. What coach in their right mind in NFL would attempt to do that this isn't college ball.

Last edited:
Did anybody else see the Seattle fan in the game thread actually say looks like our offense has been tailored for frank gore strengths and not Kaep's. dude was talkin out his *** like he knew something bout football. What coach in their right mind in NFL would attempt to do that this isn't college ball.

hahahahaha

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Def popped one. Clutch too.

Dawson has been so clutch. Maybe too clutch.

I hope we can cash out in the playoffs, that's what matters.

in reading jecca's post about roman saving plays, it mentioned gore falling in bounds to shave more seconds off the clock.

completely overlooked the importance of that move. not only was the best play of the game on offense, but possibly the smartest, too. I'm pretty sure a less experienced RB gets gassed and then decides to run out of bounds to avoid a hit

Gore may of had a learning disabilities and issues in school growing up, but every football coach he's ever had has praised his ridiculous football IQ. Dude is like a football genius. He really sees the game of football on whole other level. I've heard some crazy stories about Frank from my boy John Taylor dude is a straight up WARRIOR. Stories of Frank having to be wheeled by the training staff to the ice tub because his knees were shot after games. :x

Gore needs to go down to 24 willie mays plaza and learn how to properly slide. dude almost took out his own knees on that play. :x

Last edited:
Goodness this W feels good. Especially having to hear one of my buddies who's a Seahawks fan yap the past year about his team. It's like hearing what's being said in the Sea/SF Game thread except in real life, and on a consistent basis :smh:

Best believe I was goin' in on him all game, been sending him random 49er pics every couple hours since the game ended...he hasn't responded since I saw him before the game :lol:

Wana enjoy this W but I gotta say I hope we dont overlook the Bucs next week, they've been playing some good football lately.

Goodness this W feels good. Especially having to hear one of my buddies who's a Seahawks fan yap the past year about his team. It's like hearing what's being said in the Sea/SF Game thread except in real life, and on a consistent basis
mean.gif

Best believe I was goin' in on him all game, been sending him random 49er pics every couple hours since the game ended...he hasn't responded since I saw him before the game
laugh.gif

Wana enjoy this W but I gotta say I hope we dont overlook the Bucs next week, they've been playing some good football lately.
that thread was making my brain melt. 

Great win for us today. Seems :lol: getting hyped over a regular season win but we needed this one bad for our psych especially the glaring record vs winning teams this year so far and so we can stop putting the Seahawks on a pedestal.

Defense overall played great today. Contained Russ for the most part and Lynch didn't kill us. The only thing I could see that's still alarming is our defense on 3rd down situations. So many times the defense should have got ready to get off the field the next play only to let Russ and the Seattle O convert a first down; often with Russ improvising and making a play out of nothing :smh:

Offense was pretty :rolleyes but we are playing one of the top defenses in the league so can't complain. Frankie G coming through in the clutch with that 51 yard run and as moe200069 moe200069 noted, having the good instinct to stay in bounds.

Amazingly the Niners didn't burn all their timeouts early in the second half like they normally do.

Still think Kaep has things to work on. Wish he could be more like Russ and have better "pocket presence" per se. Russ seemingly eludes all pass rush coming to him and can roam behind the line of scrimmage until a WR gets open and they often convert for a big gain whereas for us, it's like Kaep sometimes is like "oh damn, no one's open...and there's no room to run...oh damn...I'll just either take this sack or decide now to run and get 2-3 yards out of this." :smh: Although to his credit, his last second scrambling actually picked up more yardage than usual today.

That was a pretty gutsy call with that designed run for Kaep to get the 1st down :x If he had got stripped right there :x

Phil Dawson has been :nthat: for us this year. Feels pretty nice not having to cringe at every field goal attempt like we did with Akers last year.

Bubba Ventrone, Kassim Osgood and CJ Spillman also been holding it down for us with their clutch special teams play.

Niners are in good shape now; just gotta take care of biz and take out Tampa Bay, ATL and the Cards. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly hope Tampa isn't a letdown game for us coming off this big win. Bucs been playing lot more respectable lately.

Last note, aside from that non-call on that obvious pass interference on Crabs early in 1st half, nice to see the refs not closing their eyes at the obvious holds and illegal moves by the Seahawks secondary and actually calling penalties on em. For awhile, I was thinking Niners should just take the NBA route (i.e. forcing fouls and getting to free throw line) and keep throwing it down field and rake up with these PI calls :lol:

Last edited:
I want to hear about Deuce's trip..

Holla. Im at a layover in Denver right now but I'll give a recap by tomorrow morning as I land late tonight. Just want to say thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes and to everyone that gave suggestions on places to go and hit up while I was in the city. I truly appreciate it and had a great time, I might have to make this an annual trip. Team 49ers.....Roc LaFamila .

Last edited:
Those need to come out so I can get myself a pair... He just posted up a pair of red/white 12s on IG, ***** are so dope

Back
Top Bottom