*| | Denim _ School | |*

3sixteens slim tapered or petit new standards??
Petit New Standards IMO. I think 3sixteens fabric quality is great but I'm just a bigger fan of APC fit and the simplicity of APC and their back pocket stitching is perfection. I know APC isn't the best quality denim but honestly fit and stitching is most important to me and IMO the APC's are the best in that department. I also love the fact that APC's have no back pocket design nor do they have a leather patch like the 3sixteens do. Much cleaner look IMO. 

Petit New Standards IMO. I think 3sixteens fabric quality is great but I'm just a bigger fan of APC fit and the simplicity of APC and their back pocket stitching is perfection. I know APC isn't the best quality denim but honestly fit and stitching is most important to me and IMO the APC's are the best in that department. I also love the fact that APC's have no back pocket design nor do they have a leather patch like the 3sixteens do. Much cleaner look IMO. 

thanks for the insight dude.

3sixteens have nothing on their back pockets either but you should try both fits. for the price you pay, 3sixteens are a lot better since they are actual japanese denim

Appreciate the info.. ill def check them both out.

Last edited:
In that case I think you're in the wrong thread, simply because to get the more personalized fade over time you need to extend the wear between washes. My jeans were $400, I'm not too broke to get another pair so that's not why I don't buy more, I actually do buy more lol but to get the desired look you have to give some good wear between washes, not 1 or 2 wears and wash.

I'm also not saying go 12 months in some jungle rott, if the jeans are dirty, wash em. simple as that.
No. Even if I washed my **** every day I wouldnt be in the wrong thread.

Never did I say to wash it every other wear either. But you guys going 1-2 years without washing your ****? seriously bruh?

I dont care how expensive my jeans are. i will get tired of them in 2-3 years max. I will not avoid washing my jeans like the plague.

An Edmonton student wore the same pair of jeans for 15 months without washing — in the name of fashion, and science.

Josh Le, a student at the University of Alberta, wore the same pair of blue jeans for 15 months to test the bacterial count on the raw denim. (John Ulan/Canadian Press)
Josh Le, who attends the University of Alberta, wore the skin-tight jeans from September 2009 to December 2010 to see how dirty raw denim jeans could get without washing.

Raw denim jeans have no chemicals traditionally used to treat the material.

Le also wanted to personalize the jeans and determine how they would mould to his body.

At the end of the 15 months, Le swabbed the jeans for bacteria. He then put the garb through a washing machine, after which he wore the jeans another two weeks before re-testing.

P.O.V.:
How often do you wear your casual clothes before washing them? Take our survey.

And the results surprised Le and his professor, Rachel McQueen.

"They were similar," McQueen said of the bacteria count of the freshly washed pair, compared to the prewashing levels. "I expected they would still be much lower than after 15 months."

In all, there were five kinds of skin bacteria in the jeans, and mostly in the crotch area, where between 8,500 and 10,000 bacterial units per square centimetre were found. However, McQueen said because Le was healthy, with no skin problems or cuts, there was no health concern.

Controlling odour was a different concern, Le said, admitting the jeans began to smell after a few months.

He solved that problem, however.

"I triple-bagged them and put them in the freezer," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01/20/consumer-jeans-study.html

The only horrifying part about that article is that he wore them for 15 months and then threw them in the washing machine.

I really dislike the whole dirty smelly jeans thing...I have raw denim, but I like my clothes looking fresh and new, not faded and smelling like @#$%. Dry cleaners do the trick :smokin

washing machines are okay
a lot of people prefer to hand wash instead since machines could give the jeans some weird swirls
theyre both okay as long as you do not put them in the dryer

wash your jeans when you want to
its not rocket science

that APC PNS info just sold me, i'll try on a pair this saturday.  can't beat 50% off...
That is an awesome deal at 50% off. I'm a happy customer paying retail. One thing I didn't note above is that the inseam on the PNS is a lot shorter than all the other APC cuts. I'm guessing it's a 32 inch inseam on a size 29 waist. For all my other APC jeans I feel like the inseam was maybe 2 inches longer at 34 inches. 

I actually prefer this short inseam because I wear my jeans at work and I think the super stacks or big cuffs don't suit the corporate office environment. 

You can actually see how short they are in the below comparison pictures. Notice how the inseam and bottom of the jean sits higher on the PNS vs the PS on the model.

PNS

PS

Take a pair of jeans that you fit how you like it to the seamstress and tell her to make those PRPs fit the same.

That's what I did. Told my seamstress make my Supreme X Neighborhood denim fit like my APC New Standard. She did a good job.

Yeah I'm gonna take my raw Ramblers and have her make them how they are

I'll probably post my APCs in the future, I've had them since '05
well, finally got tired of wearing those RRL's, finally busted these out the other day...

got them hemmed 3 inches a while back :\ I regret it now but that heel drag hurt :frown:

anyways I asked for them to save the rest of "jean" they hemmed off & patched up my crotch area :wow:

HTC denim doctors was gonna charge me $100 for the seat alone :x

my patching is crappy but idc, they're my favorite jeans ever :pimp:

8579247528_598c445fe3_z.jpg

8578140613_ab4fdb2f1f_z.jpg

8578109471_00fa140638_z.jpg

bonus for the beasts :evil:

8578120431_f57f21f22c_z.jpg

it feels like my jeans don't honey combs anymore :frown:

Last edited:
I'm a big APC and N&F fan. Both hold up extremely well and after a years worth of daily wear look great! With APCs however I would size down 1 or 2 as they fit bigger than most jeans, N &Fs are pretty straight forward.

I would say only size down 1. 2 is drastic and will be extremely uncomfortable.. I unfortunately did this the first time, and immediately went back for an exchange for a 30. The 30 fits perfect, not too baggy or too tight. APC NS by the way.

I think sizing down 2 is a mistake too many people make. Unless you have no @#$ or thighs, I wouldn't recommend it. When I first bought APCs all the forums said to do that, and I ended up with skin tight jeans I couldn't move in even after almost a month of wear :smh: The amount of stretching is exaggerated

and if it matters, I don't wear loose jeans. My New Standards that I sized down one on fit like this after stretching out (although I hemmed/tapered my pair)

If you ask dudes on Superfuture though, they'll say that it's baggy :smh: :lol:

Yup, I totally agree. Sizing down one is fine, if anything definitely try to try them on if you can.

I would say only size down 1. 2 is drastic and will be extremely uncomfortable.. I unfortunately did this the first time, and immediately went back for an exchange for a 30. The 30 fits perfect, not too baggy or too tight. APC NS by the way.
Yup, I totally agree. Sizing down one is fine, if anything definitely try to try them on if you can.
This. I sized 1 down and couldnt be happier. Yes, they DO stretch, so I'd get a pair that feels a bit snug when you button all the way up. I've wasted A LOT of money on buying jeans that were too tight from people on style forum and hypebeast forums. These guys will tell you to size down 3, maybe 4 sizes down, which is crazy.

I think the reason a lot of people think its the right they to size down 3 or 4 sizes is because:

1) APC vanity sizing. Back in the days, 2002-2005 APC vanity sizing was much worse, maybe 2 sizes off from the real size. On top of that, back then they only had the standard fit, and dudes wanted a slim sleek look, so back then it was normal to size down significantly. Since then, APC vanity sizing isn't as extreme (maybe 1 size off,) and the new standard is slimmer and of course you have the petit line. 

2) Everybody's body is different. I hate to generalize, but dudes on styleforum and hypebeast forums are very FRAIL. These are dude that are 5 foot 5 and weigh 120 pounds. The key difference between these people and say, an athletic person, are the thighs and hips. The waist of a skinny frail dude and an athletic dude may be the same, very narror waist, but the thighs of an athletic dude are much thicker than that of a frail dude. At least an inch or two thicker. I have more athletic legs, so the pants looked horrible on me. Skin tight in the thigh and looser from the knee down. 

3) Sagging. A lot of the kids on styleforum and especially hypebeast love to sag their jeans, create stacks etc. I have nothing against that look, but I'm a little older and like a more clean, professional look, especially in the work environment, so I don't sag my jeans. I don't like stacks, I get my APC's hemmed. With that said, I wear my jeans at my waist, not my butt, so my jeans in the waist don't stretch much at all, maybe half and inch to an inch. I'm sure if I started sagging they would stretch more, but that's not gonna happen. 

With that said, don't ever take someone's advice on jeans at an absolute level. Everyone's bodies are very different, and everyone has different styles. That's why finding the right jean, cut, fit and fabric is so hard with jeans, but when you do, it's amazing. 

Traded in my old pair of New standards yesterday and the employees loved my pair. Went into the store planning on getting the Petit New Standard to compensate for my athletic thighs and big *** (damn squats) but I just didn't like the length of them. So i just went with the Petit standard. Only sized down 1, hopefully they don't stretch too much.

Wish I remembered how my original pair of New Standards fit to compare.

they should all be 34" I believe.

those are New Standards above btw :\

why don't my jeans honeycomb anymore >: :frown:

Back
Top Bottom