Do shooting sleeves even @%!$#%# do anything?

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

dwight howard wears them on both arms and other than free throws he doesnt shoot at all
I was saying this last year and anyone who wears arm sleeves on both arms looks like a damn fool.  People were arguing that he wears them because he gets scratched by other players a lot.  
indifferent.gif
  If that were the case then every post player should wear them.
I know some people have elbow problems but don't see why they don't wear elbow pads then.  A whole sleeve isn't necessary.  NBA needs to start banning these sleeves.  Remember when everyone needed to wear those tights, then the nba said ok provide doctors notes?  All of a sudden people didn't need them anymore and they were gone.

Slightly off topic but has anyone used a shoulder protector (what gasol wears)? I separated my shoulder 6 moths ago, and while it doesn't hurt much when shooting, when throwing a pass the pain is pretty severe. Any help would be appreciated.

dwight howard wears them on both arms and other than free throws he doesnt shoot at all
Strictly for Adidas marketing purposes I'm sure

The shooting sleeves serve a purpose, but you wouldn't know it unless you played everyday.
When you shoot a basketball you are essentially jerking your elbow to create torque. Look at Dwights Ft motion. Its a shot put with a bent right elbow, and a bent left elbow. It in theory should help with elbow tendinitis. As someone with Elbow tendinitis the effect is decent, but my non shooting arm is helped more.
But it is also dependent on how you shoot. Some guys have motions where the elbow isnt as prominent in the function of the shot.
Either way you got to remember that any motion with the elbow going forward is stretching ligaments.

The players have gotten around the lack of leggings too.
Between the compression shorts, the knee pads, and the crew socks its a similar effect

Originally Posted by vctry20

Strictly for Adidas marketing purposes I'm sure
Dwight Howard's Arm Sleeve Getting Nice Push From Adidas

"Man I just wear the sleeve because I like how it looks," he said. "I started wearing it in practice it felt good one day and I thought 'Man, I should wear this in the game. It might make my shot look better.' "
He's been wearing it ever since. Adidas is jumping at the chance to promote the sleeve, worn by Howard as well, as it's predominately featured on the homepage of its website.

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2009/06/09/dwight-howards-arm-sleeve-getting-nice-push-from-adidas/#.Twl5lfIpbMo

I remember someone posted this article a while back

Only reason I see to wear one is to avoid scratches from people who don't cut their nails
sick.gif
and from floor burns when you dive or fall...

Originally Posted by Rukawa sj

Only reason I see to wear one is to avoid scratches from people who don't cut their nails
sick.gif
and from floor burns when you dive or fall...
i know what you mean, i just don't understand why guys don't cut their nails 
ohwell.gif

I don't think Dwight promoting those adidas ones will help.  People would probably rather have ones without those silver stripes on them or get Nike ones instead.

Yeah they help. I dont wear one when i hoop but when i play baseball/softball because I have a bad elbow and it helps a ton. My dad is 57 and still hoops and has a bad tennis elbow and wears one when he plays. He rocks the long sleeve T shirt over it though so he doesnt look like a #@#$

Originally Posted by Rukawa sj

I know this was why Ray Allen initially started wearing sleeves.

Back
Top Bottom