*DO THESE EVER WORK??? (PIC)

I don't think they do i just think its there to make you feel better while youwait to cross the street i be getting
mad.gif
when i press the button 10 times and nothing happens.

It works.

When you dont push it the little man dosn't come on but when you do it does.

The button goves like ten extra walking seconds

What it does is the light just goes white/green instead of orange/red. Even if you don't push the button, you can still walk when its on red. Pressing itmulti times won't help, it's not instant.

all of you guys are kinda correct. but for the thread starter, don't think that THAT button makes your wait time any less.

what THAT does is activate the intersection's minimum green time and give you enough time to cross the street. humans on average walk about 4 feet persecond (google "AASHTO"). you may walk 100 feet in 15 seconds, a grandma may cross 100 feet in 30 seconds, but on average, humans walk about 4 feet asecond.

for example, if the street was 100 feet wide, the pedestrian minimum green time would be 100 feet/4 seconds per feet = 25 seconds. that means that if you pressthat button, the green time has to be 'on' for AT LEAST 25 seconds while you cross the street.

if that pedestrian crossing button is NOT activated, then the green time for you and in that direction of traffic can be as little as 10 seconds.

u guys fall asleep yet? lol

Originally Posted by pianoman52

all of you guys are kinda correct. but for the thread starter, don't think that THAT button makes your wait time any less.

what THAT does is activate the intersection's minimum green time and give you enough time to cross the street. humans on average walk about 4 feet per second (google "AASHTO"). you may walk 100 feet in 15 seconds, a grandma may cross 100 feet in 30 seconds, but on average, humans walk about 4 feet a second.

for example, if the street was 100 feet wide, the pedestrian minimum green time would be 100 feet/4 seconds per feet = 25 seconds. that means that if you press that button, the green time has to be 'on' for AT LEAST 25 seconds while you cross the street.

if that pedestrian crossing button is NOT activated, then the green time for you and in that direction of traffic can be as little as 10 seconds.

u guys fall asleep yet? lol

Interesting. I never really understood that. Thanks.

They work, but I like the ones that give feedback after you press it, so you know it worked.

also, have u ever seen a huge intersection where there's more than 4 lanes in each direction? if so, have you seen a pedestrian crosswalk at that location?probably not...cuz if a pedestrian wanted to utilize the crosswalk, it'd probably take him/her more than 45 seconds to cross!!!

for transportation engineers, a wait for more than 45 seconds at an intersection is a no no. if they could improve the intersection's performance/trafficprogression by any means, the first call of duty is to see if the pedestrian minimum green time can be eliminated to allow more green time for other'critical' movements (i.e. movements experiencing heavy delays).

HAHA gotta love that degree in civil engineering!

it works, just not how most people think it should work....

pressing it does one of two things:

1. when the time comes to walk, it stops all traffic
2. when the time comes to walk, it keeps the "walk" signla on longer

what it DOES NOT do is speed up when the walk signal comes on... you still have to wait until the walk clycle comes around....

There is one by my campus that turns red the second you push it during certain times of the day.

Originally Posted by The Kicktionare

Its instand.

Like when the hand is on then you press it sometimes the man comes on.

Im a pro walker
lol, you say some weird @*#$.

Back
Top Bottom