Do you Buy or sell Jemele Hill's rant of N-word usage in the NBA?

I don't see why more black coaches and veterans allow this to go on. Honestly, this issue should have been self policed by the black players and coaches, but since it's this much of an issue I wouldn't have a problem with Stern addressing it.

I'm not calling on Stern to address it, but saying that it's gotten to a point where you couldn't be mad at him for doing so.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

on a sidenote, I have definitely made an effort to not use the N word ever again .   not on twitter, not amongst friends not anywhere.
Oh word? At first it feels weird not saying it, then it feels weird saying it (until you get mad).

on a sidenote, I have definitely made an effort to not use the N word ever again .   not on twitter, not amongst friends not anywhere.
Oh word? At first it feels weird not saying it, then it feels weird saying it (until you get mad).

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

One of the 1st times I've agreed with her. 

But I think players should be able to say whatever they want as long as it isn't loud and directly into the camera.  Kobe shouldn't have be fined.
Ok who defines volume and what is right into the camera detailing? If they get CAUGHT while saying it but not looking INTO the camera is that ok?

One of the 1st times I've agreed with her. 

But I think players should be able to say whatever they want as long as it isn't loud and directly into the camera.  Kobe shouldn't have be fined.
Ok who defines volume and what is right into the camera detailing? If they get CAUGHT while saying it but not looking INTO the camera is that ok?

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

laugh.gif
yea, I havent faced a "get angry" Moment yet and usually thats when it usually comes out like a machine gun.

work in progress...

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

laugh.gif
yea, I havent faced a "get angry" Moment yet and usually thats when it usually comes out like a machine gun.

work in progress...

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

while i see the point, i don't think gay people walk up to each other and be like "what up %#+"

and?

not all black people do that. the wrong actions of a few dont make it okay for everyone. thats some of the silliest logic

thats like when white people say the N word and then respond, "well u guys say it, I should be able to."  why do you want to say it so bad? why? 

BTW I have heard  gay ppl call themselves derogatory names, still  doesnt give me or anyone else  the right to do it. 
yea, do what you want and alienate a percentage of your fans. thats smart.

who do you think the dress code was for ?  it was to help sell their business. you can say and do what you want, anywhere in America, but if you run a business, you have a fan base and Sponsors to consider. Lets see how far the NBA would get without Sprite, Kia or Reebok or Spaulding attached to theur brand. Nowhere.

I dont even understand how intelligent people cant comprehend this.  

Man I agree with you 100% about it being a business BUT I just don't feel right limiting athletes competing at the highest level.  I have to catch myself cussing while playing at my church sometimes man.  If a dude gets his 6th which he doesn't agree with he's really gonna hold his tongue?  I feel like the emotion and personality is being taken out the game especially with the new "showing up the ref" rules.  While Rasheed Wallace was OD sometimes the emotion happens and it's good for the game.  No offense to Tim Duncan but people don't wanna see 10
indifferent.gif
 Timmy's out there either.  If Tony Allen wants to say "Good shot N" to Zach Randolph I can't feel comfortable calling a tech on him.  Other than KG is the language even a problem to the viewer at home?  Every now and then I see other players say something but it's not that serious.  If this is about the fans sitting close to the action then isn't that what they pay for?  Not necessarily the N-word or f-bombs but the up close and personal experience.  Was Bobby Knight a problem to the NCAA?  Hell I've seen Coach K cussing up a storm.  That's the intensity of sports and it will show on television and in person.

I guess technology has advanced so far that this is needed.  Sad
ohwell.gif
.  I think the NBA should speak to the networks and tell them chill on the Slo-Mo close up shots on angry players.  Its basically the "read his lips" cam out there and it's not needed. 

On another note the dress code was a good idea.  I mean we had to do that growing up anyways.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

while i see the point, i don't think gay people walk up to each other and be like "what up %#+"

and?

not all black people do that. the wrong actions of a few dont make it okay for everyone. thats some of the silliest logic

thats like when white people say the N word and then respond, "well u guys say it, I should be able to."  why do you want to say it so bad? why? 

BTW I have heard  gay ppl call themselves derogatory names, still  doesnt give me or anyone else  the right to do it. 
yea, do what you want and alienate a percentage of your fans. thats smart.

who do you think the dress code was for ?  it was to help sell their business. you can say and do what you want, anywhere in America, but if you run a business, you have a fan base and Sponsors to consider. Lets see how far the NBA would get without Sprite, Kia or Reebok or Spaulding attached to theur brand. Nowhere.

I dont even understand how intelligent people cant comprehend this.  

Man I agree with you 100% about it being a business BUT I just don't feel right limiting athletes competing at the highest level.  I have to catch myself cussing while playing at my church sometimes man.  If a dude gets his 6th which he doesn't agree with he's really gonna hold his tongue?  I feel like the emotion and personality is being taken out the game especially with the new "showing up the ref" rules.  While Rasheed Wallace was OD sometimes the emotion happens and it's good for the game.  No offense to Tim Duncan but people don't wanna see 10
indifferent.gif
 Timmy's out there either.  If Tony Allen wants to say "Good shot N" to Zach Randolph I can't feel comfortable calling a tech on him.  Other than KG is the language even a problem to the viewer at home?  Every now and then I see other players say something but it's not that serious.  If this is about the fans sitting close to the action then isn't that what they pay for?  Not necessarily the N-word or f-bombs but the up close and personal experience.  Was Bobby Knight a problem to the NCAA?  Hell I've seen Coach K cussing up a storm.  That's the intensity of sports and it will show on television and in person.

I guess technology has advanced so far that this is needed.  Sad
ohwell.gif
.  I think the NBA should speak to the networks and tell them chill on the Slo-Mo close up shots on angry players.  Its basically the "read his lips" cam out there and it's not needed. 

On another note the dress code was a good idea.  I mean we had to do that growing up anyways.

The only reason the League blinked was because of potential backlash from gay rights groups. The league is not altruistic. Not to mention a white guy fining blacks for using that word would not be a good look for the league. Legally they have precedent to do whatever they want, but players can always play in Europe, and get compensated competitively. They hold the power, and they should.
viiheaven wrote:
The "N-word" isn't always a racial slur, in fact, its used as a term of endearment and camaraderie on many occasions. It all depends on who you ask.

The N-word and the slur Kobe used aren't even comparable, that is my main issue with the article. Kobe isn't gay, so I think the fine is justified. 

The only reason the League blinked was because of potential backlash from gay rights groups. The league is not altruistic. Not to mention a white guy fining blacks for using that word would not be a good look for the league. Legally they have precedent to do whatever they want, but players can always play in Europe, and get compensated competitively. They hold the power, and they should.
viiheaven wrote:
The "N-word" isn't always a racial slur, in fact, its used as a term of endearment and camaraderie on many occasions. It all depends on who you ask.

The N-word and the slur Kobe used aren't even comparable, that is my main issue with the article. Kobe isn't gay, so I think the fine is justified. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Was Bobby Knight a problem to the NCAA? 

He was a BIG problem.

As far as language?  Obviously dude had some other issues like assaulting players, throwing chairs, and going at his AD.  But I've never heard people say "oh no Bobby Knight is using language that my kids ears can't handle.  Please fine him."  It's like they let his language fly and he's one of the worse to ever do it. Frank Martin? Gary Williams? Where's the outrage?  but I'll stick to the NBA I don't want some smarty pants getting technical with me.

If I'm playing with that type of pressure my emotions will get the best of me at some point.  Only time I don't get mad is when the game doesn't matter that much.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Was Bobby Knight a problem to the NCAA? 

He was a BIG problem.

As far as language?  Obviously dude had some other issues like assaulting players, throwing chairs, and going at his AD.  But I've never heard people say "oh no Bobby Knight is using language that my kids ears can't handle.  Please fine him."  It's like they let his language fly and he's one of the worse to ever do it. Frank Martin? Gary Williams? Where's the outrage?  but I'll stick to the NBA I don't want some smarty pants getting technical with me.

If I'm playing with that type of pressure my emotions will get the best of me at some point.  Only time I don't get mad is when the game doesn't matter that much.

Back
Top Bottom