Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

I hope CC gets the endorsement bag if her WNBA salary is like that. The price of fame without the reward makes no sense to me. Though I guess she gets to do what she wants for a living, which may be enough for her. Hopefully the rising tide lifts all the boats for those involved in the WNBA.

Less than men's.
Do you think that gender inequality is a myth?

Let's backup for a second before we get too far off base.

Why do you think it is MORE on men to support (through viewership/attendance) a woman's organization than it is for women? Explain your reasoning to me like I'm an idiot.

I hope CC gets the endorsement bag if her WNBA salary is like that. The price of fame without the reward makes no sense to me. Though I guess she gets to do what she wants for a living, which may be enough for her. Hopefully the rising tide lifts all the boats for those involved in the WNBA.

I'm sure that State Farm Insurance ad bag alone is bigger than her Fever bag. She's gonna be fine. The W has a long way to go before their pay can go up from the league. I'm in Indy and there is a lot of buzz. Games sold out already, which is a huge change from the 4-9k attendance they're used to. If it translates to better sponsorship and TV deals, it'll be a rising tide for the whole league, not just CC but this whole draft class.

Let's backup for a second before we get too far off base.

Why do you think it is MORE on men to support (through viewership/attendance) a woman's organization than it is for women? Explain your reasoning to me like I'm an idiot.
The answer to your question is hinged on the question I asked you.
Do you think that gender inequality is a myth?

I don't think both genders/sexes are equal.

I would be a fool to believe so.
The question wasn't 'Do you think genders are equal'
Do you think gender inequality is a myth? The talking points that are attached to gender inequality, things like sexual harassment and relative to this conversation, wage gaps in damn near every business, do you think those things have merit when they are brought up? Or do you think it's all BS, men and women are treated the same?
Do you think gender inequality is a myth?

Gender inequality isn't a myth in my eyes.

Continue...
"Why do you think it is MORE on men to support (through viewership/attendance) a woman's organization than it is for women? Explain your reasoning to me like I'm an idiot."
Simply put: whoever is in charge carries the weight. By and large, men run this country (unfortunately). I'm well aware that a majority of WNBA presidents have been women, but the problem with WNBA ratings, (and viewership on all women's sports), is not contained within the sport itself. The issue that the presidents of those leagues face is societal. Women's sports are not respected and that is simply an extension of the fact that women are not respected.
On the issue of kack of viewership or ticket sales, pointing the finger at women who aren't watching is like trying to put out a fire by pointing the fire extinguisher at the top of the fire's flames and ignoring someone continuously throwing gas at the flames; the real issue is deeper and there is someone actively feeding the flames.
I'm glad you agree that gender inequality is a real thing, because that's the base of viewership issues and ticket sales issues.

Ngl, I dont believe it.
Yeah unless dude was born a vegan, that's major 🎩

Listen, this girl is just flavor of the month, she will be forgotten in a year. WNBA is trash and not entertaining in the slightest.
I wouldn't say it's trash, but it's not entertaining to me.
I can't even watch half the teams in the NBA because they're not entertaining; women missing point-blank layups and bricking 3's is not exciting :lol:

I don't think women hate on other women enough for not supporting the league.

I dont even think its that deep. Its just not as exciting. Not because they're women, but because they don't have the same explosiveness as the men. Let them start booming on each other(which is inevitable), it'll get a bigger fan base. I think people try to make it a identity politic issue just because it's the thing to do but there was a reason why St. Vincent-St. Mary High School basketball was getting played on ESPN and Woodham High School in Pensacola, Fl was not and wasn't because of 'Men'.

ICIP Foe

I think the argument for women to support the WNBA / women’s sports is a solid one in the fact that it can be applied as a principal.

For example, as a Filipino person, when I see a local Filipino spot not doing well it’s usually because the prices are too high or the food just isn’t good. This results in the Filipino community just not supporting it / buying. If it was good, Filipinos would go and support it, buy food, promote it, etc. and it would start to branch out and see other success as well. White people would go there for their lumpia orders when they go to parties and the whole 9 yards.

As has been stated multiple times that I’ve seen, the WNBA only exists because the NBA (men) gives it the privilege to exist from a financial perspective. It isn’t bringing in enough to sustain itself in its current state. So in my eyes, “men” are doing their part by keeping the platform alive and “men” are doing their job by acknowledging CC’s skill and entertainment value enough to truly pay attention. Basketball fans / men fans saw her dominance and started making noise.. it caught fire and here we are. Where it goes from here truly relies on CC and the other top women players to step Up and make it something to watch.

Do you think women are the majority of basketball fans in general? I’d be curious to know, of the record breaking viewership of CC’s last games, what was the gender breakdown? Because every male basketball fan I’ve talked to either watched it or paid attention via social media or another format, and all are in agreement that CC is a bada** and we want to see more. That tells me it wasn’t ever truly a “women’s sport” issue it was truly an entertainment and skill issue.

darthska darthska

In my honest opinion, the game suffers from a lack of interest because

1. NBA: The identical (male) counterpart league is simply a far more entertaining product. If there is already a limited amount of basketball based entertainment time each person is willing to give, what is the incentive to watch the WNBA? I say that respectfully as someone that is a lifelong basketball junkie. You have the NCAA, G-League, Big 3, Euro, Ball Is Life. You have so many non-NBA alternatives that already exist so watching the WNBA isn't a priority.

2. Timing: Non-Olympic / Big Event sports that take place during the summer months simply have a hard time drawing eyes. They start during the middle of the NBA playoffs so they are directly reminded of the superior product existing. So again, what incentive do regular folks have in watching the WNBA?

3. Emotional Support: It's just a hard sell as I mentioned before. At least with WNCAA you have the college pride that can draw interest for those that attended the school but the lack of emotional attachment to the teams in the WNBA makes it hard for people to be emotionally motivated to watch.

The NBA and it's players have been spamming us to support the WNBA for years and I'm not sure how much THAT has even worked.

I don't know what else needs to happen to help the sport. But it isn't as simple as "give it time, they are in the same spot the NBA was in 40 years ago.

darthska darthska

I dont even think its that deep. Its just not as exciting. Not because they're women, but because they don't have the same explosiveness as the men. Let them start booming on each other(which is inevitable), it'll get a bigger fan base. I think people try to make it a identity politic issue just because it's the thing to do but there was a reason why St. Vincent-St. Mary High School basketball was getting played on ESPN and Woodham High School in Pensacola, Fl was not and wasn't because of 'Men'.
This.

Caitlyn Clark poppin for the same reason Steph Curry is. If she keeps it up she will elevate her league. Remeber, they said NBA was struggling til MJ came. People love excitement and greatness. Not so much greatness on a curve.

Also, ppl love percieved rivalries. Thats why CC vs LSU rang off so crazy this yr.

My brother showed me some article about a 90 year old man who drinks Diet Dr Pepper and he credits that to helping him live longer, haha.

On the whole teeth thing, I think it’s helped keeping my teeth due to not having sugar. That sugar does lots of damage over the years.
A coworker put me on game years ago. He had white teeth so I asked him. He said the trick is to drink with a straw

You do realize that you're a man saying 'It's definitely not us', right?
The very fact that your entire point is hinged on comparing one league to the other highlights the entire issue. People are on the edge of their seat waiting for a Vince Carter or handles like Kyrie, and as long as those things don't happen, they get to keep saying "It's just not as exciting.
They are not respected as basketball players because they are being seen through the lens of Vince Carter and Kyrie Irving, and the WNBA is obviously WORLDS away from that sort of performance.

So we’re supposed to just find whatever skill level they’re at “entertaining” for the sake of an equitable outcome?

darthska darthska

In my honest opinion, the game suffers from a lack of interest because

1. NBA: The identical (male) counterpart league is simply a far more entertaining product. If there is already a limited amount of basketball based entertainment time each person is willing to give, what is the incentive to watch the WNBA? I say that respectfully as someone that is a lifelong basketball junkie. You have the NCAA, G-League, Big 3, Euro, Ball Is Life. You have so many non-NBA alternatives that already exist so watching the WNBA isn't a priority.

2. Timing: Non-Olympic / Big Event sports that take place during the summer months simply have a hard time drawing eyes. They start during the middle of the NBA playoffs so they are directly reminded of the superior product existing. So again, what incentive do regular folks have in watching the WNBA?

3. Emotional Support: It's just a hard sell as I mentioned before. At least with WNCAA you have the college pride that can draw interest for those that attended the school but the lack of emotional attachment to the teams in the WNBA makes it hard for people to be emotionally motivated to watch.

The NBA and it's players have been spamming us to support the WNBA for years and I'm not sure how much THAT has even worked.

I don't know what else needs to happen to help the sport. But it isn't as simple as "give it time, they are in the same spot the NBA was in 40 years ago.

darthska darthska
To support women when the collective is unfairly expecting NBA performances.
Typically, when people say "I don't know what else to do," it implies that they've done a number of things and now they're stuck. We're not past the 1st attempt: watch and buy tickets and t-shirts. That's Step 1, and so few people do it, so to say "I don't know what else can be done", I do know what else can be done: Execute step 1.
40 years ago was Magic & Bird & Chuck & Dream; now we've got A'Ja & Boston & Stewie with Caitlyn & Reese incoming. That's, awesome... unless someone is expecting the 2nd group of names to perform the way the 1st group of names performed. As a society, we need to let them have their own existence.

So we’re supposed to just find whatever skill level they’re at “entertaining” for the sake of an equitable outcome?
Yep. Not that difficult.
shutterstock_2153540913-scaled-e1666704494787.jpg

Back
Top Bottom