Do you tip for takeout orders?

1. They don't engage with you. You engage with them, if you choose. At least that's how it's supposed to be. Dude is not turning on the faucet for you, handing you a towel, and popping a mint in your mouth and patting you on the back giving you a pep talk.

2. Didn't you say you wanted their jobs to be "extinct"? If it wasn't you, then that's my bad. I was wrong. But the sentiment still holds true.

Dude is squeezing the soap in your hand and turning on the faucet and handing you a paper towel though. Now i have to throw him a couple bucks for something I didnt ask him to do..

Can’t just be going around tipping everybody all day. This tipping culture needs to be re-examined. Haircuts nowadays are already overpriced so I think it’s time to eliminate the tip. Is it really necessary?

Can’t just be going around tipping everybody all day. This tipping culture needs to be re-examined. Haircuts nowadays are already overpriced so I think it’s time to eliminate the tip. Is it really necessary?
Your first sentence is worth it's weight in gold. We cannot go around tipping everybody all day & where do we draw the line? My haircut was $18 pre-covid March.2020 since July.2020 it became $19 & now it's at $22. When it was at $18, I'd hand my guy $30 even but man, since the shop owner has been committing highway robbery on us customers it's been eating away at my guys tip. I was in there on Thanksgiving morning & only gave em $8...it is what it is. However, when I ask em to come in mad early like say 6am when I'm getting ready to go on vacation & have a flight to catch that morning I compensate him for troubling him to wake up earlier & going outta his way for me. Then I give em $45 no questions asked.

Also, why are so many European countries so anti-tip?

Dude is squeezing the soap in your hand and turning on the faucet and handing you a paper towel though. Now i have to throw him a couple bucks for something I didnt ask him to do..

I undertsand this was your experience, but I've never experienced this myself. Usually the guy just sat there, and would only get up if I asked for his help.

Depends on what the pay structure is like. But I do agree, haircuts have gotten astronomically expensive these days.

Nah my barber will always get a tip. Only person it's not up for debate with.

I actually don't mind paying an extra $10 for haircuts because everything is now appointments and I don't have to wake up early or spend all day in a barbershop anymore.

Plus I went from the fro to locs so I only go about once a month now anyways.

Nah my barber will always get a tip. Only person it's not up for debate with.

I actually don't mind paying an extra $10 for haircuts because everything is now appointments and I don't have to wake up early or spend all day in a barbershop anymore.

Plus I went from the fro to locs so I only go about once a month now anyways.

I went to a hairstylist the other week, and spent $80 (w/tip) on a simple haircut and beard trim. IDK about ya'll but that was the most I've ever spent on a haircut.

Usually I pay $20 + $10 tip for my cuts. Barbers out here really think it's OK asking for $50+ for a haircut? Nah, fam. This ain't it.

Last edited:
Nope. Not in my blood. I did the "buy a round of drinks and shots" when everyone is grabbing rounds, but I stopped doing that as well. I'll grab as much as I'm willing to drink on my own
I hate the 'buy a round' thing. It doesn't happen like that in any other scenario. People just buy what they want. You're never at McDonald's and buy a round of fries.

Last edited:
I went to a hairstylist the other week, and spent $80 (w/tip) on a simple haircut and beard trim. IDK about ya'll but that was the most I've ever spent on a haircut.

Usually I pay $20 + $10 tip for my cuts. Barbers out here really think it's OK asking for $50 for a haircut? Nah, fam. This ain't it.

After the tip and everything my cut is $40.

I get a taper and he lines up my facial hair. The cut looks great and doesn't cut me, doesn't push my hairline back, and when he cuts my hair I don't have a lot of razor bumps or in grown hairs either.

I know those things sound standard but a lot of barbers can't do it. Plus it's been many of times he's squeezed me in to his schedule when he was booked up when I needed a lining for a date or a party.

They also use disposable capes, checks clients temperature before entering the shop and sanitizes after each cut. Maybe it's a black or cultural thing but once you find someone that cuts, or does your hair the way you like it. You pay it.

I actually just decided to stop going to the lady that’s been cutting my hair for the past 7 years. She does a great job, but the MAGA-speak has gotten to be too much.

She knows I work in a hospital, so she’s been doubling down on the anti-vax/“plandemic” rhetoric the past few cuts. I try to be polite, but she’s starting to get weirdly aggressive about it and my patience is wearing thin. I’d rather just shop around and get a few bad cuts than give her any more of my money.

After the tip and everything my cut is $40.

I get a taper and he lines up my facial hair. The cut looks great and doesn't cut me, doesn't push my hairline back, and when he cuts my hair I don't have a lot of razor bumps or in grown hairs either.

I know those things sound standard but a lot of barbers can't do it. Plus it's been many of times he's squeezed me in to his schedule when he was booked up when I needed a lining for a date or a party.

They also use disposable capes, checks clients temperature before entering the shop and sanitizes after each cut. Maybe it's a black or cultural thing but once you find someone that cuts, or does your hair the way you like it. You pay it.

I absolutely agree with you. It's really tough to find a barber who can do what you'd want them to do. Trust me.

I don't have the "easiest" hair to work with. I have very straight, flat, thin hair. So, the smallest mistake is very noticeable in the grand scheme of things. It's really hard to find a barber who knows how to work with my type of hair, and won't manage to mess it up, or leave me with uneven sides (happens more than you'd think).

The guy I spent $80 on, did a great job, considering he's Filipino and has worked with my type of hair. I usually go to the Dominicans, but most of them in the NYC haven't worked with my type of hair, they do a great job with the beard though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I get you're saying and do agree with you. But you can't set a precedent for this pricing man. Kinda like sneaker resale prices now. There's gotta be a limit.

$80 for a fade, and slight trim off the top with a beard trim and line up ain't it. I try to get a cut every 2 weeks, so $160 for haircuts is ridiculous to me.

I actually just decided to stop going to the lady that’s been cutting my hair for the past 7 years. She does a great job, but the MAGA-speak has gotten to be too much.

She knows I work in a hospital, so she’s been doubling down on the anti-vax/“plandemic” rhetoric the past few cuts. I try to be polite, but she’s starting to get weirdly aggressive about it and my patience is wearing thin. I’d rather just shop around and get a few bad cuts than give her any more of my money.

I'm with you on this, man. It's really about the principle at this point.

Been going to the same barber for 22 years. I did kinda get mad they raised prices from $15 to $20, I always give a $5 tip. Weird that a haircut with a taper cost an extra dollar, maybe cuz it takes a little longer to cut and blend. Been looking like a character from Red Dead Redemption since pre-pandemic, hate the hassle of going to the barbershop every 4 weeks when I have short hair.

I support no maga talk from any. Can instantly go from friends to wanting your car to flip in seconds. Don’t care

Back
Top Bottom