Do you tip for takeout orders?

I guess it depends how many folks are there because there may be a good chance that you save a lot of money paying nothing than whatever it is you would have to pay if you split it evenly. Especially if you knew this going in and went the grimey route and went HAM with your drinks and entree selection :lol:

Yeah I didn't lose so it was all good

denzel-relieved.gif

Lol so you’re bailing out the manager by paying their employees. Naw, fix that bs

TooOlfForThisIsh TooOlfForThisIsh has a point about the subsidy. You do realize that if the tipping system were to go away in favor of a traditional pay structure that the food and drink prices would just go up, right? There is also a chance that service might decline as there might be less of an inherent desire to go above and beyond. Now think about that...would you be as likely to eat out if the prices were 20% higher and the service might be 'meh'?

It's why I don't think "tipping for bad service" in and of itself is rewarding bad behavior because I consciously made the choice to go out and have someone else do all of the leg-work in ensuring I ate and drank well. That alone deserves some compensation IMO.

TooOlfForThisIsh TooOlfForThisIsh has a point about the subsidy. You do realize that if the tipping system were to go away in favor of a traditional pay structure that the food and drink prices would just go up, right? There is also a chance that service might decline as there might be less of an inherent desire to go above and beyond. Now think about that...would you be as likely to eat out if the prices were 20% higher and the service might be 'meh'?

It's why I don't think "tipping for bad service" in and of itself is rewarding bad behavior because I consciously made the choice to go out and have someone else do all of the leg-work in ensuring I ate and drank well. That alone deserves some compensation IMO.

I should really stop posting in a tipping thread...

I actually don't think that either argument of costs or incentives is that great. For the former, since I'm effectively currently subsidizing bad tippers, I suspect that my costs would go down if servers were paid via traditional salary or wages. Also, I do agree with BC to the effect that I think I am also somewhat subsidizing the business. If they were forced to compensate fairly, I don't think they'd be able to pass 100% of those costs to the customer.

As far as incentives, I think most everyone else in the country does their jobs and their managers find ways to keep them incentivized that doesn't involve tipping. So I don't find that compelling. It's actually a bit infantalzing to service industry professionals.

I'd prefer the whole system to go away. On that, BC and I strongly agree.

I have no problem with paying an extra 20% and no longer having to worry about tipping.

I honestly don't even care if a server checks in. If there's an issue, I'm gonna take the initiative to tell them.

I've only had to do that twice in the past two years though. Once for undercooked pasta and another for tuna crudo that was salty to the point of being virtually inedible.
Do you prefer your pasta to be on the softer side

I'm pretty sure for the most part you're already overcharged anyways and have no control over it, tip or not.

What do you mean by "overcharged"?

In my experience, most if the time the bill doesn't match my expectation from the menu prices, it's because the server left something off either accidentally or as a comp.

Anyone play that CC roulette? I did it a few times when I was younger out of peer pressure.
Nope. Not in my blood. I did the "buy a round of drinks and shots" when everyone is grabbing rounds, but I stopped doing that as well. I'll grab as much as I'm willing to drink on my own

Does anyone tip bathroom attendants? I forgot their proper title but y'know fancy clubs & hotels be having em. They'll give you handtowels after you wash your hands while being dressed in formal attire. I only once saw a bathroom attendant & didn't tip- wasn't sure if I had to or not.

Does anyone tip bathroom attendants? I forgot their proper title but y'know fancy clubs & hotels be having em. They'll give you handtowels after you wash your hands while being dressed in formal attire. I only once saw a bathroom attendant & didn't tip- wasn't sure if I had to or not.

i do… I’m one of those people who feel obligated to tip though so idk if it’s the norm.You can’t even tell dudes you don’t have cash anymore because they cash app and everything 😂😂😂

This I hate. I was at a Afrobeats party and it looked like some random dude just posted up in the bathroom and had a tip jar. ***** was handing out paper towels already in the towel holder. Bruh had on the "I just got out" interview outfit on and everything.

Bathroom attendants?

What do they do? Shake it for you?

**** no. Your tip is caching a glimpse of the meat if I’m standing too far from the urinal

i do… I’m one of those people who feel obligated to tip though so idk if it’s the norm.You can’t even tell dudes you don’t have cash anymore because they cash app and everything 😂😂😂
I'm like that too because I hate being judged or being called cheap but I draw the tipping line at say a McDonald's setting & bathroom attendants. Just don't see the reason to. People got all them apps now a-z lol.
This I hate. I was at a Afrobeats party and it looked like some random dude just posted up in the bathroom and had a tip jar. ***** was handing out paper towels already in the towel holder. Bruh had on the "I just got out" interview outfit on and everything.
🤣 right! Like the dispenser for the hand towels is doing it's job, no need to grab one & hand it to me. And word, the most sus lookin characters are the attendants lol. Dude was probably not even affiliated with the establishment.

Another one of NT's most arduous topics--Tipping.

I've always believed how/what someone tips is a direct reflection of who they are as a person. And it baffles me each time someone complains about how tipping isn't normalized/frowned upon in other parts of the world. Guess what cheapskate, we're not in other parts of the world, and these servers practically live off their tips.

My only issue with tipping has been when the establishment adds on the tip themselves, and they add it on AFTER the tax, and not onto the sub-total. That immediately raises red flags for me.

But to answer OP question--No, I do not tip for takeout. What am I tipping them for? Making sure my food doesn't get stolen while it's waiting for me to pick it up?

Also, you guys need to tip the people who do a service for you everyday...barbers, cab drivers, doormen, sanitation guys etc. Do this and see how much better the service gets. These people will go above and beyond for you.

I have a barber who charges me $20 for a haircut. I tip him $10, and he does my beard and takes his time cutting my hair. Feels good.

Seems like it's usually an older guy. It's nice they give them jobs, but there's gotta a better and more useful role they could be doing.
Sometimes I wonder if they're just giving an ex con a break like a sign flipper or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom