Do you tip for takeout orders?

So much this, man. Especially if it’s a place that I frequent and I’m taking folks there. I pick up the check just because I’m not trying to look funny in the light :lol:

Since we’re talking tipping/service and it’s the holiday season, do y’all give holiday tips to other service workers around the holidays that you interact with regularly?
💯 on not tryna look funny in the light lol. My brother & I went half n half & gifted our barber one of them large grey goose bottles for the holidays in years past. His eyes lit up :lol:.

I also tip my sanitation guy at work. Normally it's mngmnt's responsibility to tip the sanitation guys who come pick up the garbage for the towers on the property. But because the regular 2 guys are absolute sweethearts I personally tip them out of my own pocket, God bless their hearts. They go above & beyond for me & my work building for trash removal so I feel like it's only right. They have done multiple rounds for trash removal in one day for my building if the truck gets full. If it were any of the other workers, they'd straight up be like wait till the next pick up. When Covid first hit & DSNY changed their schedules my dude would look for me in my work building to let me know he is in my driveway & for me to come outside & move the containers- very few people are that generous. What about you?

I tip every time, usually 15-25%. They gotta live too.

I’ve never worked in the food industry, but did work retail for 15 years, and I know people aren’t always treated right in that setting, and only imagine restaurants are worse.

Don’t wanna derail the thread but something about splitting the bill evenly doesn’t sit right with me. Especially if you knowingly ordered more than everyone else.
It's honestly messy, man. The bolded is what irks me the most. I can drink like a fish so splitting makes me feel dirty :lol:

What about when you guys go to a full service gas station? Do you tip the attendant for pumping gas in your car?

I used to use a full service only Shell & always tip a dollar. The convenience was extra appreciated in winter. Then I found out the Shell 2 miles in the opposite direction of my place always has any grade of gas .20cents cheaper on average & is self serve only so I started going there.

U THAT guy 😆 bruh I hate this split rule feel like I gotta order something to go to even this up folks got apps an entrée 3 drinks while I'm on 1 drink and an app and want to split it nah

So the thing is I'm cognizant of it so that's why I pickup some bills because I know I went HAM. Generally speaking, even if we were to split, I get them back later in the night with first/multiple rounds.

What about when you guys go to a full service gas station? Do you tip the attendant for pumping gas in your car?

I used to use a full service only Shell & always tip a dollar. The convenience was extra appreciated in winter. Then I found out the Shell 2 miles in the opposite direction of my place always has any grade of gas .20cents cheaper on average & is self serve only so I started going there.

Coming from the south I've never heard of any such thing.

In my family whoever coordinates the trip picks up the check and does the tipping. It’s a unspoken rule. During the holidays it’s usually my father and for summer trips it’s either me or my bros, whoever booked the Vrbo or Airbnb.

I have realized this is primarily done in spaces where you normally would not tip (or not think to tip) i.e. coffee shops, grocery deliveries, Ubers, etc.

I would never go 30% for bad service but 99% of the time 20% is my floor. I know their bosses should pay them more and that they signed up for the job knowing the pay/circumstances but they still took it and it might be all the have. I get customer service is a large part of the job (i.e. what warrants the tip) but you also never know what someone else is going through. Just because I can bottle things up and carry out my job like nothing happened doesn't mean that everyone can. I also look at the tip and think about the extra money and realize that it won't mean much to me but could mean a lot for them.
What do you deem as bad service? I'm sure everyone has their own standards and some are pickier than others. Me personally, I'm not hard to please. I'm actually very understanding and I don't hold mistakes against servers. If you forget something on my order, spill food or drinks. I wouldn't hold that against you, everyone has an off day. Even if you don't check on me every 5-10 mins and make sure our glasses are full. At least be present if and when I call on you. Even with that I'll give a decent tip. I'm sure some people would consider that bad service and deduct something from the tip but I don't care that much about it. Now what I do care about is respect. If you disrespect me or my guest. Have an attitude if you're expected to do the bare minimum required of your job. That I can't tolerate, and depending on the severity of it will determine if you get a tip or not.

Define “bad service.” I’m just trying to understand what people expect when it comes to service.

👁 🍆 💦 in ☮
👁 🍆 💦 in ☮
👁 🍆 💦 in ☮
👁 🍆 💦 in ☮

Right!

Don’t wanna derail the thread but something about splitting the bill evenly doesn’t sit right with me. Especially if you knowingly ordered more than everyone else.

Yeah that to me is a setup. So either everyone pays for their meal individually and we all chip in on the tip. Or one person pays the bill, and the rest do the tip.

Whenever me and boys would leave the DMV area and go to Atlantic City it was always weird but appreciated :lol:. I heard it was implemented cause of all the car jackings in Jersey back in the day.
New Jersey & Oregon as well are the only 2 who don't allow drivers to pump the gas. It could be the reason you stated, I've also read in NJ it's because they don't want to chance it if a customer gets pist off & grabs the pump to spray gas everywhere & light that **** on fire lol.

When in AC did you & your boys tip the attendant? I do when I'm in NJ or at a full service station. Partly because I'm kind & partly because I don't want to be judged or called cheap if I don't tip lol.

Nowadays you gotta check for that auto-gratuity they try to sneak in there.
I remember when I worked at the hookah lounge years ago & after giving customers their bill they'd come up to me or my co-workers & say "I didn't order this gratuity thing" :rofl: . I'd nicely explain to them it's the added service charge(it's right on the menu most of the time) & they'd just give me a blank stare or stink eye lol.

Coming from the south I've never heard of any such thing.
I’m pretty sure only Jersey and one state out west still do mandatory full service. I remember before I moved to Jersey years ago I pumped my own gas out there one time and dude in the store looked at me like I shot somebody, but wouldn’t come out to tell me what time it was around there. On the turnpike is one thing, but around the city I legit forgot. Thank god I had temp plates, that was a fine waiting to happen.

New Jersey & Oregon as well are the only 2 who don't allow drivers to pump the gas. It could be the reason you stated, I've also read in NJ it's because they don't want to chance it if a customer gets pist off & grabs the pump to spray gas everywhere & light that **** on fire lol.

When in AC did you & your boys tip the attendant? I do when I'm in NJ or at a full service station. Partly because I'm kind & partly because I don't want to be judged or called cheap if I don't tip lol.
I think I did like a dollar. We were probably 22-24 at the time lol. With gas so high I wonder what the tips are looking like now.

I love getting gas in nj :lol:
Word + I love driving on the NJ turnpike. In all my years driving on it I've observed this is the road rage vehicle of choice on it. You see this particular gen of Jeeps on the NJ turnpike- get the f out of it's way ASAP
Screenshot_20211130-130226_Chrome.jpg

I think I did like a dollar. We were probably 22-24 at the time lol. With gas so high I wonder what the tips are looking like now.
Even today I'd keep it at a dollar. All they're doing is clicking it & going to attend to other customers then coming back to your pump & putting the nozzle back on it's holder. 1 buck sounds more than enough to me for that lol

Back
Top Bottom