Does NT Have a Race Problem?

Does NT have a race problem?

• Total voters
I’m here discussing. I’m not oppressing anyone. I personally think that it was wrong to bring an issue into a discussion unrelated. I feel like you’re saying if someone butts into a conversation, let’s say a conversation about someone’s newborn, and then you bring in racial issues. If they were to say this isn’t the time and place to discuss this. We’re just trying to talk about my newborn, is that oppression? That’s you being rude, in my opinion. And since every other topic is of lesser importance, we’re not allowed to have a menial discussions about shoes?

I agree with you 200%.

So what’s your purpose. Explain your intent. If you feel the need to discuss racial issues 24/7 that’s great for you man. I don’t have that sort of energy to be honest. Just from my observation you have energy to have conflicts in a shoe forum, so I fail to see how you’re truly addressing the issues you’re adamantly defending. I got no problem with you. I just know when I have issues with someone else, it’s usually an issue with myself.

I agree with this statement 300%. I used to frequent this thread but it wasn't until I realized that my use of slurs like Kevin and Karen that I was the real racist.

I know the history. You cannot seem to learn from it. You can keep throwing your sexy phrase at me all you want. But it still dont change the FACT that YOU are the one bitter about a period of time that YOU were not involved in. NOT me.

Prime example of why we know there is a race problem here.

So what’s your purpose. Explain your intent. If you feel the need to discuss racial issues 24/7 that’s great for you man. I don’t have that sort of energy to be honest. Just from my observation you have energy to have conflicts in a shoe forum, so I fail to see how you’re truly addressing the issues you’re adamantly defending. I got no problem with you. I just know when I have issues with someone else, it’s usually an issue with myself.

you do understand that you willfully entered a thread that is titled "Does NT have a race problem," right? so I don't think you reserve the right to be upset that people "discuss racial issues 24/7." it's like going to the library and being upset that there are hella books.

to be frankly honest, i'm Southeast Asian and many of my seminal experiences in this world are racialized. from why my folks were forced to migrate to the states to my experiences growing up in oakland to my career/academic access. I've been criticized by folks for "always making things about race" but when is race not a factor when white supremacy and racial capitalism exist 24/7? Asian folks can't pick and choose when it's convenient to talk about race... and we're seeing that right now with the "rise" in violence against asian elders or the anti-asian racism during the pandemic. man, folks are acting ****ing brand new. white people been calling us chinks and were hanging chinese folks from nooses since we were building railroads. just because it's being captured on camera doesn't mean this racism against our community is some recent invention. and i'll keep it a thousand: Asian folks discriminate against their own. I went to Cal. I've seen the way light-skinned Asian kids looked at me there, like I didn't belong on that campus because I had some melanin.. all i needed to experience was "uhh sorry bro, our party's full" while they let some light-skinned asians in after me. so let's stop acting like we don't perpetuate colorism within our own community.

if you don't want to discuss race, that's your prerogative. but if folks have that "energy" what's it to you? in what way does it threaten you?

In other words......"My privilege allows me to be able to ignore racial issues because it doesn't directly effect me. I will then mask my decision by using a pretentious veil of arrogance masquerading as maturity."

I don’t get it. If someone asked what it’s like to be an Asian school girl, everyone would shut up. If someone asked what it’s like to be a white teen in private school, everyone would keep their mouth shut. If someone asked what it’s like be a an Irish house wife, everyone would keep their mouth shut. But when someone asks what it’s like to be a black or brown person everyone has the answer. Funny how that works

In other words......"My privilege allows me to be able to ignore racial issues because it doesn't directly effect me. I will then mask my decision by using a pretentious veil of arrogance masquerading as maturity."
Perfect.

you do understand that you willfully entered a thread that is titled "Does NT have a race problem," right? so I don't think you reserve the right to be upset that people "discuss racial issues 24/7." it's like going to the library and being upset that there are hella books.

to be frankly honest, i'm Southeast Asian and many of my seminal experiences in this world are racialized. from why my folks were forced to migrate to the states to my experiences growing up in oakland to my career/academic access. I've been criticized by folks for "always making things about race" but when is race not a factor when white supremacy and racial capitalism exist 24/7? Asian folks can't pick and choose when it's convenient to talk about race... and we're seeing that right now with the "rise" in violence against asian elders or the anti-asian racism during the pandemic. man, folks are acting ****ing brand new. white people been calling us chinks and were hanging chinese folks from nooses since we were building railroads. just because it's being captured on camera doesn't mean this racism against our community is some recent invention. and i'll keep it a thousand: Asian folks discriminate against their own. I went to Cal. I've seen the way light-skinned Asian kids looked at me there, like I didn't belong on that campus because I had some melanin.. all i needed to experience was "uhh sorry bro, our party's full" while they let some light-skinned asians in after me. so let's stop acting like we don't perpetuate colorism within our own community.

if you don't want to discuss race, that's your prerogative. but if folks have that "energy" what's it to you? in what way does it threaten you?
I don’t think you understand, I was brought here from a shoe thread and continued conversation from there. If you see prior to my first post, I was tagged here.

Just like I don’t know your life, you don’t know mine and what privileges I’ve had. Not a competition but you’re assuming you know mine while I don’t assume yours.

And I’m staying just that, being honest. If that’s masquerading maturity then what do I do, lie? Didn’t know that my honesty was coming off that way. Just shows that you have your own issues about my honesty.

and we stopped conversation a while back and you guys just looking for someone to argue with.

Just like I don’t know your life, you don’t know mine and what privileges I’ve had. Not a competition but you’re assuming you know mine while I don’t assume yours.

And I’m staying just that, being honest. If that’s masquerading maturity then what do I do, lie? Didn’t know that my honesty was coming off that way. Just shows that you have your own issues about my honesty.

and we stopped conversation a while back and you guys just looking for someone to argue with.
Surely "you're right, I don't get it" would have been quicker?

I don’t think you understand, I was brought here from a shoe thread and continued conversation from there. If you see prior to my first post, I was tagged here.

my fault, i stand corrected.

you're entitled to express your opinions on race; but where you lose me is trying to police folks' ability to discuss race. your position is "this is a shoe forum, why are we talking about race?" but we don't live compartmentalized like that. when you go to work and someone mentions sports, do you respond, "hey, this is work, why are you talking about sports?" also, you might want to read up on sneaker culture and its intersection with race:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/08/the-racial-divide-on-sneakers/261256/

Lasts nights discussion in the Last Dance thread had me thinking about some of the racial issues on NT. It seems like some people think race is brought up too much on Nt while others believe race is something that should be talked about more. Other NTers get annoyed when POC NTers bring up race. It seems like there is an increasing divide between Black NTers, POC Nters, and white NTers. Some folk just want to come here to talk about shoes while other folk want to talk about social issues. What says you? Does NT have a race issue? Can we all get along? Has NT always been like this ? Has it gotten worse or improved?
I don't see race as a problem, but as a reality, like being a man or a woman or a transgender. It's a part of our identity. And talking about race doesn't make people racists. Plus cultures are different according to races or countries, so it could make sense to share about these differences to elevate ourselves, taking what we like in each culture. I've been with women of different races as sex was concerned, but for some reasons all my girlfriends were Black while I'm White. So, sooner or later, you're always going to talk about it. Then it becomes an habit and you have no problems with it. It's more difficult to talk about races with people of our own race (at least as a White). Because they could be racists or not. And if they're not, in general, they quickly feel uncomfortable when we talk about other races, like if they fear to be called racists. But this kind of behaviour is just due to Whites' culpability. So I try to not speak in real life of races with others Whites lol
If I had to speak about Blacks, I do it with Blacks. I can't talk for other races but Whites have a lot of taboos, or maybe it is just me that is very prompt to make people feel uncomfortable :lol:
I used to say to some other Whites obsessive compulsive disorders are mostly a problem of white people (from what I have observed), atmosphere was really strange. Like as I am White I can not talk about race ? I must have to disagree with this. "My people" is really strange sometimes :rofl:

EDIT : another thing I hate : sometimes people fear to call a Black a Black, so they use stratagems, like if it was a handicap or something. What I hate even more is when I am with some people and by their way of thinking I know if I just say the color it would be a big deal for them...Tired of this. In France, "Black" is translated by the word "Noir", and some people prefer to use the world "Black" to make it more cool, more American, so more acceptable, as if it is okay to be Black as long as you are at least an Afro American, but if you're just African for example no :lol:
2021 and we're still here... :sick:

Last edited:
Lasts nights discussion in the Last Dance thread had me thinking about some of the racial issues on NT. It seems like some people think race is brought up too much on Nt while others believe race is something that should be talked about more. Other NTers get annoyed when POC NTers bring up race. It seems like there is an increasing divide between Black NTers, POC Nters, and white NTers. Some folk just want to come here to talk about shoes while other folk want to talk about social issues. What says you? Does NT have a race issue? Can we all get along? Has NT always been like this ? Has it gotten worse or improved?

JRepp23 JRepp23
JRepp23 JRepp23
JRepp23 JRepp23
JRepp23 JRepp23
JRepp23 JRepp23

I think he is talking about you ,am.

The policing of Black commentary in regard to race and discrimination is a huge problem, as was discussed by my man LeBron James v. zlatan Ibrahimovic last night after his game.

Please take my comments as constructive feedback for this site.

Please note that I am in no way shape or form trying to create any type of race wars between anyone on this sneakerboard. HOWEVER….

Over the last year, the general section has been bombarded with racial treads related “African Americans” and black awareness, especially from a selected group of individuals on here. Now, do I think there is an issue with rights with black lives and there needs to be more awareness to this topic? 100%. No if, ands, and buts. But there doesn’t need to be 1000 different threads dedicated to this. We can have open discussions about black culture in the “Black Culture” thread as most of us have been discussing about Asians in this thread. Sure, an incident like George Floyd definitely deserves its own thread because of how traumatic it was, not just for black people, but minorities versus police. But to allow a thread such as, “not going into Sushi spots in certain neighborhoods” when we have a black culture thread already in general where we can openly discuss those type of things, is totally unnecessary.

Let me know if my observation is incorrect on opening up multiple threads on racial topics. If so, then I think we should start a few on elderly Asians being attacked, or how Asians were targeted during the start of the pandemic, or how Trump used “China Virus” consistently in his press conferences. Otherwise, I think all those random racial topics need to be locked and consolidated so the thread on "Everything about race" can be openly discussed so we can overcome racism as a collective group.

I just want to make sure we’re all aligned and clear.

Why does an individual of another race, feel that he can suggest how members of another should express ourselves at any point in time, especially in regard to racism?

@boywonder

The policing of Black commentary in regard to race and discrimination is a huge problem, as was discussed by my man LeBron James v. zlatan Ibrahimovic last night after his game.

Why does an individual of another race, feel that he can suggest how members of another should express ourselves at any point in time, especially in regard to racism?

Agreed. We are always indirectly told to "Shutup and Post."

But like I said in the other thread, I like how boywonder boywonder made it seem like he was genuinely asking questions about the rules when in fact he was indirectly telling Meth that he was tired of seeing so many Pro Black threads.

Hilarious.

Agreed. We are always indirectly told to "Shutup and Post."

But like I said in the other thread, I like how boywonder boywonder made it seem like he was genuinely asking questions about the rules when in fact he was indirectly telling Meth that he was tired of seeing so many Pro Black threads.

Hilarious.
Sure, an incident like George Floyd definitely deserves its own thread because of how traumatic it was, not just for black people, but minorities versus police.

Not just for Black people.

That is the one that got me, damned near had me hit something over here.

boywonder boywonder ill take your comments as dumb as ****

There is more.

Thanks KHUFU KHUFU for posting a picture but not providing any context from your own perspective on what you're trying to communicate. So far, all I have seen from you is post a bunch of topics on a sneaker board about race but haven't seen any action in real life on what you're doing to help progress black lives. In fact, I am willing to bet I do more for black people than you do.

A lot of bay area nters on this board know me and saw me on the front lines during BLM rallies in Oakland. I also have donated my own money towards the cause, and as a Oakland native, have worked with young African American children in east Oakland to obtain resources for higher education. In fact, the company I work for now is a huge supporter of the black movement and we have attended multiple events promoting Black History month.

Feel free to post of picture of yourself doing something in real life that shows more than what you write here on Niketalk. You can go ahead and talk this big game. But I don't need a message board to help drive progression with minorities, whether they are black, Asian, etc.

This idea of strangers telling other strangers that they don't do anything in the real world to fight racism is also a funny tactic I see on here from time to time. :lol:

There is more.

This idea of strangers telling other strangers that they don't do anything in the real world to fight racism is also a funny tactic I see on here from time to time. :lol:
How are you going to tell someone who is Black, a descendant of African slaves in America, that you do more for his people than he does? He does not even have the right to tell someone like Clarence Thomas some crap like that.

My friend (black) recently said to me - there is no such thing as race it’s a made up construct. And unless we ever move past that we will always find a way to use it as a means to separate people and resources.

Back
Top Bottom