Does NT listen to Reggaeton?

Nicky Jam paid homage to some of the other pioneers/legends this past 2018 Billboard Latin Music Awards...

Este premio se lo quiero dedicar a todos estos Reggaetoneros que empezaron de la vieja guardia, cuando mucha gente descriminaron nuestra musica años atras, y estoy hablando de los cantantes de la vieja guardia que para mi fueron los arquitectos, para que estos Reggaetoneros y los artistas de de la Musica Urbana hoy en dia estuvieran donde estan hoy, quiero mencionar la gente de PLAYERO, THE NOISE, CHICLIN, DON CHEZINA, MEXICANO ''Que En Paz Descanse'', OG BLACK, MASTER JOE, son muchisimos, pero este premio es para ustedes...

Last edited:

da OG.

aye homie, el chombo on YouTube articulating dembow and reggaeton history very clean.

da OG.

aye homie, el chombo on YouTube articulating dembow and reggaeton history very clean.

Dope vid, just like I've been saying Panamanians don't claim to do Reggaeton. Chombo even said it himself he doesn't have the authority to tell us the history of the Musica Urbana from PR cause he's Panamanian. He said they had El General, Nando Boom, Renato, Chicho Man, they did Reggae en Español. Reggaeton is from Puerto Rico, and he mentioned the actual pioneers from the Reggaeton movement Vico C, Big Boy, DJ Negro, Playero, DJ Nelson the same names that I've posted a bunch of times on NT. Although he said that he doesn't have the authority to talk about the history of the Musica Urbana/Reggaeton from PR, I cosign the video.

Last edited:
reggae en español is da forerunner to reggaeton, its like Namor da submariner technically being a mutant even though he predates da X-men by decades.

reggae en español is da forerunner to reggaeton, its like Namor da submariner technically being a mutant even though he predates da X-men by decades.

I'm not denying that, but seeing people categorizing El General in the Reggaeton movement. I can't accept it cause he belongs to the genre of Reggae en Español from Panama. Reggaeton has a lot of influences from Reggae, dancehall, hip-hop, etc. etc. etc. The artists from PR got inspired by all of those different genres and gave it their own twist, and came up with El Underground Rap & Reggae aka Reggaeton. The artists themselves will tell you the same thing.

Last edited:
i say el general sonic wise about as identical or even more reggaeton than anything that underground was in PR when u compare da feel.

u gotta becareful confusing regional differences in sound to a actual different genre.

I'm not denying that, but seeing people categorizing El General in the Reggaeton movement, that I can't accept cause he belongs to the genre of Reggae en Español from Panama. I know that Reggaeton has a lot of influences from Reggae, dancehall, hip-hop, etc. etc. etc. The artists from PR got inspired by all of those different genres and gave it their own twist, and came up with El Underground Rap & Reggae aka Reggaeton. The artists themselves will tell you the same thing.

I lived in Costa Rica while all this things where happening and we called it Plena or Chata (Shotta)... Reggae or Roots where Bob Marley type sounds...

There where a lot of clashes/remixes from dancehall guys from CR and plena guys from Panama...

This was the jam back then (costarican artists where more dancehall oriented)

I lived in Costa Rica while all this things where happening and we called it Plena or Chata (Shotta)... Reggae or Roots where Bob Marley type sounds...

There where a lot of clashes/remixes from dancehall guys from CR and plena guys from Panama...

This was the jam back then (costarican artists where more dancehall oriented)

i appreciate that.

when you listen to el General, he was definitely tappin into something new, cuz while da dancehall influences were there, da melody and cadence of spanish music was definitely started to pronounce itself.

i say el general sonic wise about as identical or even more reggaeton than anything that underground was in PR when u compare da feel.

u gotta becareful confusing regional differences in sound to a actual different genre.

El General did his thing, but the underground cats from PR (Big Boy, Baby Rasta & Gringo, Don Chezina, etc.) perfected the sound, they were the evolution.

The modern artists from Panama are probably the only ones claiming to do Reggaeton, but the older heads don't claim it, unless it's beneficial ($$$$$$$$$) for them. Sometimes I forget that in 2007, Panama started making noise again, but they wasn't calling it Reggae en Español, they called it Romantic Style. Flex with his hit song ''Baby Te Quiero'' and La Factoria & Eddy Lover with their hit ''Perdoname''. I remember seeing La Factoria live on some ch. and the host asked them if what they did was Reggaeton and they said ''La Factoria sings Romantic Style not Reggaeton''.

Back
Top Bottom