Does The Bible Need To Be Updated?

So we concluded that the bible for THOSE TIMES isn't the same bible that is meant to be used for THESE times.
Exactly. But is it going to be "updated"? I guess we'd have to wait for Jesus to come back..

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Theft is theft, the definition doesn't change.
Like that's the ONLY thing the bible talks about
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Defontes

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

It doesn't need to be updated but people need to stop taking it literal.
What are some examples of this?

I will share some of the conversation.

Basically one of my dudes was with one of his females and she said, "I can't find _ _ _ _ to wear to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ church"
He said: Why are you cursing while talking about church
Her: You don't even GO to church
Him: I don't have to go to church to know that you shouldn't be talking like that LOL.
Her: Attitude........

Then from there we talked about how she doesn't "live" the life of someone and essentially going to church for her isn't really anything other than getting brownie points. Just to say, "I went."

From there we talked about how things like pre-marital sex, cursing, and other things that were looked down upon way back when are just the norm now and have lost their meanings.

So we concluded that the bible for THOSE TIMES isn't the same bible that is meant to be used for THESE times.

More was said but that was the basically it.
church isnt for perfect people
Of course, but it's for people following the right path and trying to better themselves right? This broad doesn't fit the description to me.

I wear I was about to make a very similar topic yesterday.

Spoiler [+]
I didn't

But I seriously was.

The Bible doesn't need to be updated at all.  People just need to learn how to apply the teachings of the Bible in today's world and decipher between what is moral and what is not.

*face palm gif

Its not supposed to be, you want a vol. II? lol

Im not a religious person but Ive spoken to people who really seem to know there stuff, what it needs is a universal clear translation with no bias views i.e catholics

it doesnt need to be updated. it needs to be studied more so people can understand the scripture. alot of people dont even read it, they just listen to the pastor preach.

Not trying to disrespect anyone first and foremost. Not trying to start a war, just want to gather some opinions.

Was just talking to a couple of my boys about this. Do you think the bible is outdated in certain aspects? And if so, which aspects would those be?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW OLD THOSE SCRIPTURES ARE?
laugh.gif

What do you think it's a series of rules and stories put together by random people which they can just update?
roll.gif

Unless they discover a new hidden scriptures which they think should be added to the teachings in the bible (it'll be a LENGTHY process and/or the Vatican decides to), it ain't getting updated.

dude seriously, you come up with the dumbest threads ever.

I agree with dude who said people need to stop taking it literally. The bible isn't a book of facts. It's about turning the focus inwards on oneself and striving to be a better person. To live as Christ lived and be helpful towards others who need help instead of discriminating against them. Jesus surrounded himself with sinners and was able to transform their lives through his spirituality. This is what Christians are challenged to do.

Took an Anthropology class, teacher said that the carbon dating on the tomb Jesus rose from the dead dated back to the middle ages (around the 14th century).

Yes of course it needs to be updated. Think about how society lived 2000 years ago and how society lives now. It makes no sense to apply all of the rules and principles made for people 2000 years ago for people today. It's like us making a rule book for space travel 2000 years from now. We might have an idea of how it should be, but if we don't fully know how space travel will end up being like then how can we expect to make a perfect set of rules for it? The apostles who wrote the bible could not have known how society would be living 2000 years into the future, so how can the same rules apply? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I just waked and baked.

Really though what is the updated version going to contain? A revised version of the Gospel? From who?

No the Bible is fine the way it is.  The principles found in it can be applied in the modern the world.  The problem occurs when people pick and choose what they want to follow and what they want to ignore. 

From my personal experience I've found that a lot of people who don't believe in the Bible or just write it off as fairy tales have never seriously studied it.  They may read a scripture here and there, but as far as taking a systematic study of it doesn't often happen.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Not trying to disrespect anyone first and foremost. Not trying to start a war, just want to gather some opinions.

Was just talking to a couple of my boys about this. Do you think the bible is outdated in certain aspects? And if so, which aspects would those be?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW OLD THOSE SCRIPTURES ARE?
laugh.gif

What do you think it's a series of rules and stories put together by random people which they can just update?
roll.gif

Unless they discover a new hidden scriptures which they think should be added to the teachings in the bible (it'll be a LENGTHY process and/or the Vatican decides to), it ain't getting updated.

dude seriously, you come up with the dumbest threads ever.

who says they AREN'T made up fantasy stories by a group of random individuals that were bored back then?
eyes.gif

hell, i just looked it up for fun and the first google link: (considering how bias'ed it is...)
http://www.allabouttruth.org/Who-Wrote-The-Bible.htm
"These writers come from all walks of life (i.e., kings to fishermen) and spans over a period of 1,500 years or more."

Considering the fact that they stated Kings (whether right or wrong) even more supports the idea that leaders of that time had ulterior motives to curve the general public's thoughts and actions to better suit their own needs or goals

Doesn't need to be changed.

Just because American culture doesn't follow scriptures from the Bible doesn't mean other countries don't.

its called APPLICATION. The bible is not written to us, but for us. So obviously it is up to us to study it historically, culturally, poetically, linguistically, and spiritually to find ABSOLUTE TRUTHS. Then we apply these ABSOLUTE TRUTHS to our modern day life. Get it?

But if you don't believe in absolutes then the bible is not really relevant to you. Without absolutes it is reduced to a collection of moral recommendations. So without absolutes then you can change it and update it all you want and pick and choose what or what not to believe and adhere to.

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

It doesn't need to be updated but people need to stop taking it literal.

Exactly. you should take the lessons and morals from the Bible, but u cant take ALL of it literally.

Like "cursing"... how can you even determine what curse words are... the words we use today weren't around then, so who's to say what should, and shouldnt be said.

We all kno the Bible was written by a bunch of different ppl... Shakespeare included... so it wouldnt be fair to yourself to take it all literally.
Basically. I think the purpose of the Bible isn't to be taken literally verbatim but to take the lessons and morals from it and try ur best to apply them to ur life. If u were to take everything literal then which testament do u follow, the old or new? If the old then u can't eat pork, if the new then u can if u were going to follow it literally

And if it was updated would it be manipulated to make non-believers believe in Jesus? Or would it contain newer aspects of life and take the Jesus out of it, denying Him his due praise?

It wouldn't be possible to become updated.

There isn't an unbiased religious authority to do so, even the King James (or New International Version) I believe has some fallacies on interpretations for readings. But again what do I know I'm neither a Theology expert or work for the Vatican (or high order of Church).

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Doesn't need to be changed.

Just because American culture doesn't follow scriptures from the Bible doesn't mean other countries don't.

Isn't America the most Christian country in the world though?

Back
Top Bottom