Does The Bible Need To Be Updated?

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

It wouldn't be possible to become updated.

There isn't an unbiased religious authority to do so, even the King James (or New International Version) I believe has some fallacies on interpretations for readings. But again what do I know I'm neither a Theology expert or work for the Vatican (or high order of Church).

Yeah but there's a difference in being a position or having an interpretaion and being given the revelation. You don't have to be in a high position to decipher the bible.

Originally Posted by Retro23J

There isn't an unbiased religious authority to do so, even the King James (or New International Version) I believe has some fallacies on interpretations for readings. But again what do I know I'm neither a Theology expert or work for the Vatican (or high order of Church).

Yeah but there's a difference in being a position or having an interpretaion and being given the revelation. You don't have to be in a high position to decipher the bible.

So what determines that retro in your perspective? What would make your interpretation and revelation greater than the next ordinary (or extraordinary man) in this case? Who are the modern day disciples that follow the footsteps of the previous ones in the stories, even those written in the Letters through the scriptures? Again I feel like there would be a discrepancy, the next man (or men) would be a prophet or god-send of sorts to be able to do this sort of thing. So yeah, I understand where you're coming from but it still remains who is really qualified to uphold such a task, responsibly? That's where walking the grey line tends to be vague...

So what determines that retro in your perspective? What would make your interpretation and revelation greater than the next ordinary (or extraordinary man) in this case? Who are the modern day disciples that follow the footsteps of the previous ones in the stories, even those written in the Letters through the scriptures? Again I feel like there would be a discrepancy, the next man (or men) would be a prophet or god-send of sorts to be able to do this sort of thing. So yeah, I understand where you're coming from but it still remains who is really qualified to uphold such a task, responsibly? That's where walking the grey line tends to be vague...

Honestly what would determine it is how much it stays within the gospel. Whether it really gives meaning to what was written or just sounds like something that was decided is right. You can tell when something sounds farfetched or not and God's word isn't really on that tip unlesss your a non believer looking to make a mockery of it. The ones following the footsteps of previous ones? I can only give the example of my own pastor who doesn't deviate away from what was taught in the bible. If your really looking for truth it'll be exposed when you hear someone preaching what you need to hear in order to get right from those that are lying and telling you what you want to hear. Thats where the line becomes clear. We also have to be responsible for ourselves too.

No - how could you change the Bible? If you believe it's divine (or divinely inspired), it's teachings are timeless and adaptable to all situations. If you don't, why are you concerned about updating it anyways?

That's why we have the restoration of the Gospel here on earth, that's why we have a modern day prophet, and 12 apostles, that's why we have the Book of Mormon!!!

Originally Posted by mrgrapes85

That's why we have the restoration of the Gospel here on earth, that's why we have a modern day prophet, and 12 apostles, that's why we have the Book of Mormon!!!
indifferent.gif

Does not deserve its own thread but....

Is Gambling considered a sin?

I dont think it is a sin but Ive been told otherwise. Just looking for some opinions

Originally Posted by gumbottombandit

yeh, much like the "we are the world" remake, it needs to incorporate the hiphop community. maybe it can include the inception of the autotune as well.

underrated response.

I think the Bible is timeless. Someone mentioned not to take it literal. Any non-fiction book you real is going to have things you should take literally and things not to. I would say that the Bible has much to offer by way of principles. If you really are trying to understand what is being taught in the Bible you will appreciate the principles. Every account in the Bible has meaning, they are all meant to help you. You may not understand one account until you experience a similar situation in your life, then you will come to appreciate the wisdom it has to offer.

There are those that don't believe in the Bible too and I am sure they will voice that opinion, which they are entitled to. For me it works, for others they may not feel as thought it does.

I think the hardest thing is that most Bibles don't really direct you to accounts based on situations, like a table of contents so to speak. For instance if you are dealing with domestic issues with your spouse, where do you go to find info in the Bible about that? You can't open to the front and look where to find that. It's not been made easy to use. There are other bible aids that help with this depending on what religion you are. It's nice to have them and it makes it a whole lot easier to find the information you are looking for. If you are interested you can PM me and I can let you know where to find a copy.

I still want to know how you can update God's word though

U mean like The Old and New Testament? According to the Bible God changed his mind a couple of times. And whos to say he doesnt send another prophet down to earth? Whos going to add that to the Bible? Or are the Bible times over? I can ask more but I dont want to offend anybody. Im just a Christian with questions though

Honestly what would determine it is how much it stays within the gospel. Whether it really gives meaning to what was written or just sounds like something that was decided is right. You can tell when something sounds farfetched or not and God's word isn't really on that tip unlesss your a non believer looking to make a mockery of it. The ones following the footsteps of previous ones? I can only give the example of my own pastor who doesn't deviate away from what was taught in the bible. If your really looking for truth it'll be exposed when you hear someone preaching what you need to hear in order to get right from those that are lying and telling you what you want to hear. Thats where the line becomes clear. We also have to be responsible for ourselves too.
Retro, this is where we have to agree to disagree. I feel in order to update a classic piece of literature like the Gospel it's adaptation to current modern situations and updated readings/scriptures/psalms etc. It needs to encompass itself, within the main core of the foundation of the bible (which are its gospels). First reading, second reading, gospel. That's the formula in the Catholic bible, for others they like to give direct quotations like theorems or postulates in geometry (Luke 11:4 7 "etc. etc. etc."). Again there has to be some relation to the gospels otherwise, what's the point of the modification?
As for telling, whether or not anything is farfetched. I can tell you my beliefs and provide you the most subjective and clairvoyance behind why certain things about God are claimed in the bible as they should. However it all remains determined whether or not you felt compelled to hold my beliefs as truth or feel is a bunch of crock. If I convinced you enough (despite my agenda being full of lies and deception for an alternative purpose). How can you decipher, such nonsense when there isn't a difference between good and bad but how its portrayed by those conveying its image to you.

Lastly, your pastor with all due respect but I feel I don't believe he's Father Teresa. Why? I need to see it for myself, there are those who can remain as vigilant and full of vigor and justice for this society. But can be easily swayed or remain imperfect because of one's sins as a human (or crimes to society). I can tell you about more whole hearted and compassionate individuals without religious association, who stick to the beliefs of the bible down to a T. But again it's very difficult to determine whether anyone would actually admit or act deviantly and openly or cut corners and consider it "reasonable or rational" to preach and such to the people about the bible and its teachings or lessons.

laugh.gif
Are you serious?

1. The bible was written by men

2. The bible has been updated countless times....books added and books deleted.

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

I ain't read %+$+ til it's written by God himself!

Not that this will change the way you feel about the Bible, I just thought I would maybe make a reasonable response to this.

There is no way that someone is going to be able to say they physically saw God write the Bible, so if you're thinking on that level you won't read it. You can liken it to a secretary writing something for you, you are dictating to the actual person physically writing the letter what they should write. You aren't actually writing it yourself, however, your thoughts are the ones being expressed not the secretaries. So in that way God wrote the Bible, in the sense that he inspired the writers (secretaries) to write down his thoughts and ideas. It is each individual's prerogative to decide whether they believe the Bible is inspired of God.

In the same way that you may not have witnessed a murder but forensic evidence suggests that all points to one suspect, the same can be said of people who believe the Bible is God's word. We didn't see him write it but by the evidence we know it to be the case.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif
Are you serious?

And I'm Christian.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

laugh.gif
Are you serious?

And I'm Christian.
Moses had God's BBM pin.

God-on-the-phone.gif

laugh.gif
Are you serious?

And I'm Christian.

Yeah, Men, that were ordained of god and called as prophets.

I would have to say, No. Why update it? To fit what people think it should say?

Good thread DC.

laugh.gif
Are you serious?

And I'm Christian.
The bible was of course WRITTEN by men but your saying it as if it was thought up by men.

AllScripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may bethoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:15-17

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John  1:1

All scripture is God-breathed....sounds like its His word to me.
nerd.gif

VeryAnalytical85
this is where we have to agree to disagree

Back
Top Bottom