Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Soooo I need some help/advice, as do many...(yes I havent posted/contributed in forever on any forum :lol:)

BUT, I'm best man at my buddy's wedding in April. we jsut got fitted for some navy tux's, with navy bowtie. He wants us wearing brown shoes with it though (and we're not matching the shoes, everyones getting their own--interesting, yes).
HOWEVER, from what I'm seeing the black shoe looks much better to pair with navy tux!

Any tips on shoes for navy tux with brown shoe or black? And if you have some actually shoe recommendations for it, let me know too. CHEERS lads!:smokin

ps: Here's the look of the suit for the most part...

pps:^christpoher walz style is dope. and/or he just pulls off everything really.
more like these lapels, not a shawl collar, but with blue bowtie
img-mg---golden-globes---pattinson_205312678693.jpg
midnight blue, but with point lapels

Enough images? haha.
Thanks thanks.

Last edited:
Soooo I need some help/advice, as do many...(yes I havent posted/contributed in forever on any forum :lol:)

BUT, I'm best man at my buddy's wedding in April. we jsut got fitted for some navy tux's, with navy bowtie. He wants us wearing brown shoes with it though (and we're not matching the shoes, everyones getting their own--interesting, yes).
HOWEVER, from what I'm seeing the black shoe looks much better to pair with navy tux!

Any tips on shoes for navy tux with brown shoe or black? And if you have some actually shoe recommendations for it, let me know too. CHEERS lads!:smokin

ps: Here's the look of the suit for the most part...

pps:^christpoher walz style is dope. and/or he just pulls off everything really.
more like these lapels, not a shawl collar, but with blue bowtie
img-mg---golden-globes---pattinson_205312678693.jpg
midnight blue, but with point lapels

Enough images? haha.
Thanks thanks.

I am currently facing a similar predicament; one of my best friends is getting married in March and I am one of the groomsmen. I have had to hold my tongue on a few of the clothing choices he has made (we all had to buy these iffy suits from MW). I would stick with brown shoes and not deviate from everyone else since it is his wedding after all and you should respect his wishes. On the other hand, you know the guy so if he is cool with you wearing black then go for it (although it sounds like he has an idea of exactly how he wants his groomsmen to look on his big day).

As for recommendations, a nice simple cap toe oxford should pair nicely with that navy tux. The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (~$400 retail) should work and is available in different shades of brown and black if you end up going that route. The Clifton model (~$300 retail), also by AE, would work as well.

Since you are wearing tuxedoes, it sounds like the wedding will be quite formal so you will probably want to make sure those shoes are shined before wearing them.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, congratulations to your buddy on tying the knot. Seems like everyone around me is getting married these days, despite not even hitting 25 yet.

Last edited:
Navy/midnight blue (which are awesome) or not, I don't like the idea of brown shoes with a tux.  A tux is formal, black high-shine/patent shoes are ideal.

That being said, it's his wedding and his decision so unless he comes to you for advice or input on what to wear, as a groomsman you have to go with it.  You have some leeway with the fact that you can wear whatever brown shoes you want...I'd be that guy and wear double monkstraps, they'll stand out and even though I doubt brown ones would work with a tux, **** it.  Realistically, a captoe is your best bet but if you don't have a suitable (pun!) pair of brown shoes, go with what you like because you'll want it to be something you can wear again.

What's your budget?

Last edited:
I am currently facing a similar predicament; one of my best friends is getting married in March and I am one of the groomsmen. I have had to hold my tongue on a few of the clothing choices he has made (we all had to buy these iffy suits from MW). I would stick with brown shoes and not deviate from everyone else since it is his wedding after all and you should respect his wishes. On the other hand, you know the guy so if he is cool with you wearing black then go for it (although it sounds like he has an idea of exactly how he wants his groomsmen to look on his big day).

As for recommendations, a nice simple cap toe oxford should pair nicely with that navy tux. The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (~$400 retail) should work and is available in different shades of brown and black if you end up going that route. The Clifton model (~$300 retail), also by AE, would work as well.

Since you are wearing tuxedoes, it sounds like the wedding will be quite formal so you will probably want to make sure those shoes are shined before wearing them.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, congratulations to your buddy on tying the knot. Seems like everyone around me is getting married these days, despite not even hitting 25 yet.

Navy/midnight blue (which are awesome) or not, I don't like the idea of brown shoes with a tux.  A tux is formal, black high-shine/patent shoes are ideal.

That being said, it's his wedding and his decision so unless he comes to you for advice or input on what to wear, as a groomsman you have to go with it.  You have some leeway with the fact that you can wear whatever brown shoes you want...I'd be that guy and wear double monkstraps, they'll stand out and even though I doubt brown ones would work with a tux, **** it.  Realistically, a captoe is your best bet but if you don't have a suitable (pun!) pair of brown shoes, go with what you like because you'll want it to be something you can wear again.

What's your budget?

Haha thanks fellas!!
. I definitely cant be the only one in black, I've slowly come to grips with that haha, tho he does listen to me so maybe I could convince him with a couple James Bond midnight tux pics from Skyfall...? Could work!

AND love the monk straps idea since I've been in the market for a pair anyway. If not that, then maybe a semi-glossy pair to keep the tux look going. Plain brown seems just MUCH less formal. Looking at a budget of the $200 range too, saw some at Nordstrom Rack some months ago and I do like Allen Edmonds, thanks for the specific models!
I may need to call in an order from that list that we have going round now and then with locations.

Definitely checking the ones you called out since I've been looking at captoes for now HHHornet...you trying to deviate just slightly from your grooms' plan too?
And since I'm going brown, think I should look for darker browns too so its close to black.

Last edited:
Haha thanks fellas!!
. I definitely cant be the only one in black, I've slowly come to grips with that haha, tho he does listen to me so maybe I could convince him with a couple James Bond midnight tux pics from Skyfall...? Could work!

AND love the monk straps idea since I've been in the market for a pair anyway. If not that, then maybe a semi-glossy pair to keep the tux look going. Plain brown seems just MUCH less formal. Looking at a budget of the $200 range too, saw some at Nordstrom Rack some months ago and I do like Allen Edmonds, thanks for the specific models!
I may need to call in an order from that list that we have going round now and then with locations.

Definitely checking the ones you called out since I've been looking at captoes for now HHHornet...you trying to deviate just slightly from your grooms' plan too?
And since I'm going brown, think I should look for darker browns too so its close to black.

Man, as much as I want to, I'm gonna have to stay conservative. Will most likely wear some walnut RL/Allen Edmonds long wings I picked up a few months ago from the shoe bank. Either that or brown RL cap toes, also from the shoe bank. He actually asked me for suggestions on shoes and I told him that we should all just wear our own brown shoes to avoid him making another questionable choice for the group...

Definitely send an email to AE, I picked up my two pairs of seconds for $130 each.

My old buul, Audi.

Arenas are readily available, especially in black. But if you can't find em right now, the new season/restock should be dropping in March or sooner.

The black pair you wanted. I'm guessing you're a big foot mog, but they run big anyways.

O wow! Must be recent restock. I'm at gym now. Will order.

edit: nah man sz 44 not available, i just rushed home for nothing lol

Last edited:
Man, as much as I want to, I'm gonna have to stay conservative. Will most likely wear some walnut RL/Allen Edmonds long wings I picked up a few months ago from the shoe bank. Either that or brown RL cap toes, also from the shoe bank. He actually asked me for suggestions on shoes and I told him that we should all just wear our own brown shoes to avoid him making another questionable choice for the group...

Definitely send an email to AE, I picked up my two pairs of seconds for $130 each.

Wow, I love that price!
You got the contact info on you currently? I may need to jump on that after trying some sizes at the Rack...

Also, I'm glad we didnt goto MW or any one of those big chains, i HATE the way they fit/tailor a suit. Its always boxy still or baggy pants. And for your guy's wedding, are you using the same kind of navy tux or a shawl color/lighter blue? Because his wife said MW or the other chains dont even carry any type of navy tux.
Ours is REALLY dark, all navy with no black trim anywhere, no cumberbun, etc.. But will look good and blue in daytime, bright light etc.

JCrew still doing 40% -50% off final sale online...how is it lookin' instore...anyone know?

I made a killing off their most recent 50% off in-store sale +15% student disco....my thirst is still real...might hit up a few stores this weekend.

Was wondering the same thing. Gonna hit up jcrew tomorrow for sure I'll let you all know then unless someone makes it to one today

The good thing about J Crew's final sale is that the 40% off still applies on other non-final sale items so those are still returnable if need be.  I haven't looked through to see what's 50% off online but it always seems like all of the good items are sold out or only available in XS or XL.

I hate going shopping but I'll be right by a J. Crew tonight and might stop in...selection is always hit or miss on sale items so I usually don't bother, that big weekend everyone here cleaned up at their stores I didn't have time to go.

Went to the J.Crew store in the mall and they ordered a Ludlow suit for me since they didn't have a 36S and 32/30 slim suit pant.

The suit they shipped didn't even match. Wasn't even the same material :x :smh: :lol:

You can also phone order online items in store if they don't have them instock. If the deal is better instore they usually give you the better deal as well. Picked up a Ludlow sportcoat for 50% off with the student discount instead of the 40 off online offer

Last edited:
JCrew still doing 40% -50% off final sale online...how is it lookin' instore...anyone know?

I made a killing off their most recent 50% off in-store sale +15% student disco....my thirst is still real...might hit up a few stores this weekend.

Got the Falmouth parka, was too big. Went to go trade it in. Turns out it's 50 percent off in store. 398 to 190 something. Lady/guy behind the register nice enough to tell me, Get 190 store credit, buy 3 shirts and a sweater.

Jcrew at Edison NJ in the mall, the girl there was so nice, pretty too. Recommend it, and I also hate shopping, if there was a service to have factory samples sent to you and then decide what to buy from there like coffee corporations do, I would apply to it. But probably never happen.

Anyway, is the sale worth it? Or am I late

Last edited:
Wow, I love that price!
You got the contact info on you currently? I may need to jump on that after trying some sizes at the Rack...

Also, I'm glad we didnt goto MW or any one of those big chains, i HATE the way they fit/tailor a suit. Its always boxy still or baggy pants. And for your guy's wedding, are you using the same kind of navy tux or a shawl color/lighter blue? Because his wife said MW or the other chains dont even carry any type of navy tux.
Ours is REALLY dark, all navy with no black trim anywhere, no cumberbun, etc.. But will look good and blue in daytime, bright light etc.

Send an email with your shoe size to shoebank@allenedmonds.com and they will send you a list of what they have in stock. According to dappered, they are running a sale starting February 3rd with popular models like the park ave and strand going for $199. You can also call the store directly at 262-284-7158.

The suit my friend picked out is a charcoal grey, kind of marled wool-like suit. It's basically dark grey with flecks of white. It's a CK "extreme slim fit" suit so I only need to get the pants altered but the materials are terrible (50% wool, 50% various synthetics :x).

Last edited:
^
I like going to the J.Crew store. Employees have always been and nice and friendly. The girls who work there are top notch looks wise.

Back
Top Bottom