Dressing Better Vol 2.0

My suit from express came in yesterday. I've read that a dress shirt's sleeve should show about an inch past the end of the blazer's sleeve. Since the sleeves end right at the bottom of my wrist, I'm guessing I shouldn't get them shorten by an inch?
Also, I'm sure I need to get the pants shortened too. Anything else y'all would do?

take a picture with the button closed for us.

For me, where the sleeves hit your hand would the length of my dress shirt sleeves. So I would tell the tailor to shorten the sleeves to show 1/2 inch of shirt cuff (1 inch is too much). Ask your tailor about this.
Sleeves look like they could also be slimmed down from the biceps to the wrist.
Pants should definitely be hemmed. Wear dress shoes with the pants to the tailor. Tell them how much break you want (slight or no break).

Repost. From the original tread.

Hey guys, after 4 years of grinding and working my butt off my graduation finally is coming up and I need some advice on what to wear. So the cap and gown is black and the sash is blue. Weather is going to be very hot being in Cali. Just need some suggestions. Thanks

For undergrad I wore black slacks, a white shirt and black tie...for Grad school I didn't even bother to attend my graduation ceremony, nor do I plan to attend the one coming up in a few weeks either. Keep the weather in mind, I wish I had. My undegrad, in Eagle Rock has their graduation outdoors in the middle of May where we are to wear thick black cotton robes, yea it wasn't comfortable at all.

Yeah, just keep it simple for graduation. No one's going to see what you're wearing under it. Mine was a few weeks ago and some people were just wearing polo shirts and khakis. I had a shirt, tie, and v-neck sweater and was sweating like crazy under my gown and poncho.

My suit from express came in yesterday. I've read that a dress shirt's sleeve should show about an inch past the end of the blazer's sleeve. Since the sleeves end right at the bottom of my wrist, I'm guessing I shouldn't get them shorten by an inch?
Also, I'm sure I need to get the pants shortened too. Anything else y'all would do?

i need a pic of the buttons closed and preferably with a dress shirt.

the buttons are brown on the suit, just regular brown
Show us how dark the navy is. Personally though, I believe both dark brown and walnut work fine with navy suits of all colors. I have a pretty midnight navy looking one and have done both shades of brown no problem. All depends on preference.

Last edited:
[/SPOILER]

take a picture with the button closed for us.

For me, where the sleeves hit your hand would the length of my dress shirt sleeves. So I would tell the tailor to shorten the sleeves to show 1/2 inch of shirt cuff (1 inch is too much). Ask your tailor about this.
Sleeves look like they could also be slimmed down from the biceps to the wrist.
Pants should definitely be hemmed. Wear dress shoes with the pants to the tailor. Tell them how much break you want (slight or no break).
Thanks for the feedback. Here's a pic with it buttoned up

Is there a video of the whole CFDA Awards anywhere?

Would wear pretty much all of that Michael Bastian stuff

Last edited:
Re: suit for Van. I would go with a prince of wales or glen plaid like Adrian. Pow was my first suit since I love the pattern. Worn it to numerous interviews and did fine.

I have a charcoal suit too. It doesn't get worn a lot. I just got it because its the closest thing to a black suit id own.

Just got back from my tailor and I ended up going with this (terrible picture, my bad):

Charcoal plaid with brown paisley lining. Opted to go 3-piece since the vest was only like another $200. Very excited to see the final product.

Just got back from my tailor and I ended up going with this (terrible picture, my bad):

Charcoal plaid with brown paisley lining. Opted to go 3-piece since the vest was only like another $200. Very excited to see the final product.

I like it! Where are you located?

Hey DBNT

My name's Jeff and I've been following you guys for a while and getting updates from a fellow NTer Pinoy732. I've been in some of his posts before but until now have not made a personal account. He had told me a few times to get one but I believed my style reflected his too closely and would just be a mirrored image of his posts. After a year of trying to dress better and develop my own style through building my wardrobe and taking influences from everywhere I could find, I'm thinking that I have a better idea of what I like. I'm hoping to find further influences here as well as some pointers but like Adrian, I'm not in a real career yet and as such have built much of my wardrobe through thrifting and some deals where I could find them. I'm hoping to become a contributer to the DBNT thread and will be posting as I can.

Back
Top Bottom