Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Can anyone please point me towards a good tie bar for slim (not skinny) ties? The ones I have always end up lopsided after a few minutes of walking :smh:

Something else I came across. I'm sure we've all seen the lunar glide wingtips by Cole Haan. Well, they're doing the same with penny loafers. I'm kinda feeling em. I just hope they're cheaper than the wingtips($248-$278) >D

DOPE!:pimp:

I need all of these. Excuse my vast ignorance, but is there a Cole Haan store in the city?

Anybody got updates on the flower lapel pins from Etsy? I ordered it early July and it's August now and still no sign of it shipping.

Found some really nice blazers at my local thrift store. Sending them away since they are too small. FeeBay it is.

This one is Burberry, 100% Silk

Last edited:
Question: Is there a list of what color shoes go with what color suit?
Like I know that brown shoes can be worn with navy or grey but what other color suits can you do with it?
Or what color shoes can you wear with a certain color suit

Like I know that brown shoes can be worn with navy or grey but what other color suits can you do with it?
brown and black shoes can basically go with all colors. The real questions should be: the shape of the last (the shoe), and the style of the shoe/boot.

Unlike with sneakers, matching is not needed or recommended. It's all about coordination.

Ace: I'm sure you know this, but you're not suppose to button the last button on the waist coat (vest), my man (unless you're going for a fashion forward style but you also need the rest of the outfit to agree).

Good fit on all articles by the way.

OCBD (oxford cloth button down) shirts are staple items, versatile pieces as supported by your pics.

I found this on tumblr a while back. I believe it was originally posted by Esquire.

I found this on tumblr a while back. I believe it was originally posted by Esquire.

I would have though this would be common sense.

Pops is a reverend so I guess, its common sense if youve been around suits your whole life.

Last edited:
If some of you are lost just watch Stupid, Crazy, Love.
It's not that easy. There are some basics. But watching a movie is not going to explain to you why certain things are done.

The tradition of leaving the bottom button of a coat undone started as a fashion choice. Coats are designed to flare away at the bottom, since the hips are (generally) broader than the waist, where a coat should be fastened. Modern suits are all cut with this in mind, and thus the bottom button should never be used, as it throws off the tailoring of the suit, turning a man's silhouette into a cylinder.

Ideally, three-button suits aren't supposed to have the top button fastened, either; leaving it undone balances the look and permits the lapel to roll closer to the waist, where it should be. In fact, the two-button suit takes care of this nicely by removing the offending button altogether. It is possible, if inadvisable, to button the top button without violating fashion rules.

There are a few exceptions. The bottom button on some double-breasted jacket is buttoned. There is also a type of custom jacket called a "paddock coat," where the placement of the buttons is altered and both are buttoned. John F. Kennedy was known to wear such a jacket.

The custom of leaving the bottom button on a waistcoat ('vest," in American English) undone comes from the early 20th century. King Edward VII was too rotund to fasten his bottom button and the custom came from his imitators.

Ace: I'm sure you know this, but you're not suppose to button the last button on the waist coat (vest), my man (unless you're going for a fashion forward style but you also need the rest of the outfit to agree).

Yea I know. I button this vest because the fit isn't actually that good on it. It's a cheap joint from Forever 21. When the bottom button is free, the vest tends to flare out. Good fashion faux pas catch though.

Originally Posted by SFC415  

Can anyone please point me towards a good tie bar for slim (not skinny) ties? The ones I have always end up lopsided after a few minutes of walking
mean.gif
thetiebar.com has all different sizes and styles

Last edited:
Ace: For that price, you really don't have much to lose. I read that Gap is marking down last year's selvedge denim because the customers hated them. They're made in a country in the Middle East if I recall correctly. The model before that was made in China and customers raved about it.

I've been looking for a light washed/distressed jean around the $200 mark and it's been kinda hard. I settled for J. Crew's 484 regular denim line...we'll see how the quality is.

Looking to get a suit jacket today at Macy's, is there anything I should tell them when looking for a jacket? I don't want it to fit super big or super fitted either, kinna in between. Don Draper status. :nerd:

Thanks

bear: I'd be cautious about taking their words. Chances are those folks are not experts and are there because it's their job. You never want a skin tight suit. You want a slim suit. You don't want a loose suit that looks like you're drowning either.

Looking to get a suit jacket today at Macy's, is there anything I should tell them when looking for a jacket? I don't want it to fit super big or super fitted either, kinna in between. Don Draper status. :nerd:
Thanks
Take a pic on your phone of how you would like it to fit. Look for contemporary lines line the house brand INC or Calvin Klein.

Back
Top Bottom