Dressing Better Vol 2.0

How is the quality on the J.Crew Ludlow suit?  Is it a good option for the money, or am I better off looking somewhere else?

I'm not actually getting it now, but I like to research and ask questions before I make certain purchases.
If you don't require a lot of altering, then it's great for the money. Just don't pay retail...at the minimum use your student discount.

You guys ever get a pair of jeans tailored? I normally wear a 33x34. I bought some Express jeans and got 34x34 they didnt have my waist x length size. I tried them on and they're a little big on the waist. If i take it to the tailor do i just tell them to take in the waist one size? Will it screw up anything else? They're raw selvedge jeans so i dont want to wash them yet .....

How is the quality on the J.Crew Ludlow suit?  Is it a good option for the money, or am I better off looking somewhere else?

I'm not actually getting it now, but I like to research and ask questions before I make certain purchases.

Can't speak to the quality, but I understand that it is a very of-the-moment, slim lapel, short cut jacket, and overall slim fitting suit. If your price range is under $1000, I would strongly consider Indochino or SuitSupply for a suit that will likely last you much longer (in terms of trendiness). I plan on purchasing my next suit from one of those two stores. I'm hoping to check out the SuitSupply B&M in Georgetown. Does anyone know if it's open yet?

Ludlows after us all said and done won't break the bank though....I got two ad both came out to about 500$ each....they've held up great after alterations and multipleeeee wears so they won't start breaking apart on you :lol:

I love my charcoal one but I hope you got the navy..,it's sooooo versatile!

7075238881_3f2969b241_b.jpg

If you don't require a lot of altering, then it's great for the money. Just don't pay retail...at the minimum use your student discount.
This would be my first suit, so I don't know what kind of alterations I would need.  I also forgot about that student discount.
Can't speak to the quality, but I understand that it is a very of-the-moment, slim lapel, short cut jacket, and overall slim fitting suit. If your price range is under $1000, I would strongly consider Indochino or SuitSupply for a suit that will likely last you much longer (in terms of trendiness). I plan on purchasing my next suit from one of those two stores. I'm hoping to check out the SuitSupply B&M in Georgetown. Does anyone know if it's open yet?
I would say my range is wide....price does not matter as long as the suit is good and will last a while.  I was actually looking at Black Label and Burberry.

Ludlows after us all said and done won't break the bank though....I got two ad both came out to about 500$ each....they've held up great after alterations and multipleeeee wears so they won't start breaking apart on you
laugh.gif

I love my charcoal one but I hope you got the navy..,it's sooooo versatile!
Yeah I saw that photo, and I like that color.  I did not get anything yet, but I am leaning more towards a navy one.

You guys ever get a pair of jeans tailored? I normally wear a 33x34. I bought some Express jeans and got 34x34 they didnt have my waist x length size. I tried them on and they're a little big on the waist. If i take it to the tailor do i just tell them to take in the waist one size? Will it screw up anything else? They're raw selvedge jeans so i dont want to wash them yet .....
I got my APC altered. I had the rear taken in and hemmed the inseam. I wouldn't lose sleep over Express denim to be honest and they should be able to take in the waist just like any other trousers.

This would be my first suit, so I don't know what kind of alterations I would need.  I also forgot about that student discount.
I would say my range is wide....price does not matter as long as the suit is good and will last a while.  I was actually looking at Black Label and Burberry.
If you're willing to spend over $1,000, I would just go bespoke. However, with this being your first suit, I would highly suggest NOT to go bespoke since you don't know much about suiting and proper fitting yet.

You need to learn how a proper suit should fit, FYI...refer to the first post, you can probably pick up some knowledge from reading that. If you're going to shell out good dollars for a good and long lasting suit, all things should be as close to perfect as possible. This means no collar gap, pinching, excess fabric, weird divots on shoulders, etc.

Yeah I saw that photo, and I like that color.  I did not get anything yet, but I am leaning more towards a navy one.

I like the ludlow suit but I would also as others have to consider the longevity of it. I don't mind the skinny lapels but a good point was brought up about whether they'll still be "trendy" years from now. Definitely consider, if you want this suit to be something you can wear years from now, when the skinny lap thing may go out of style, if so I'd consider going with a lapel that is a little wider. I can't do skinny lapels, as I'm not skinny lol. However, I will say the material on the ludlow's look amazing. Definitely consider Indochino and SuitSupply as well. You can get a nice 2 piece suit for under $500 bucks from Indochino and they offer a $75 tailoring credit. I have 3 shirts coming from them in about 2 weeks so at least fit wise I will have a better idea regarding fit.

RE: Skinny lapels going out of style soon. This is again why it is important to discover your own style and rock it well. Ludlow suits are not even that skinny. Conservative lapels are 3 inch wide. Ludlow suits have a 2.5" lapel. It's a nice compromise, and this is what I have on my suits, except for peak lapels..those are 3".

Skinny ties and lapels are nothing new, fellas. Conversely, there are a lot of folks who are on the opposite end and go for extremely wide lapels, we're talking 3.5-4.5" wide. Not my style, but I still dig.

1550_mod_fashion_stewart_daltry.jpg

The_Beatles.jpg

#yesterday

Shirt looks like it fits great, but I would probably tuck it in next time. Or just find a similarly well-fitting shirt that doesn't extend too far past your belt line. Other than that, great fit overall. Chuck Taylors have been my go-to shoe this summer.
thanks fam, i defintely agree! the shirt is a couple of inches to long, its from HM so i want to see how the quality holds up after some washes before i drop money on alteration, but it definitely needs it. Mine to! thats my my shoe game is so weak, i cant stop rockin my beat up chucks.
For those looking for cheap shoes. Bass has a plethora of cool looking ones to check out.

https://bassshoes.harborghb.com/bass-mens-shoes
One of my friend's at school put me on to them and his have held up really well over 2 yrs...gonna have to check them out

@Hermoon nice fit man, the shirt may be a bit long but it looks like the sides and the shoulders are pretty much perfect
thanks fam, your right its a couple of inches to long, im going to fix it if the quality holds up. the shoulders could fit a bit better but its hard to notice in that picture but overall it fits me great and was cheap.

Does anyone know where I can get good quality slim tapered black pants? Willing to spend.

Last edited:
BR new slim chinos fit really well also, and a lot of their tailored line sports jackets are great.

esp with the 40% off 

This is an interesting blog. Campus Sartorialist

It's really just another street style blog, but this one is based around different campuses. Cool to get a glimpse at what students at other colleges are wearing. I know at mine, everyone is pretty much a carbon copy of each other. Girls wearing Lilly P dresses and dudes not even trying :lol:. That's me until it's starts getting cooler though

Does anyone know where I can get good quality slim tapered black pants? Willing to spend.
What kind of pants? Are we talking about chinos? Or dress trousers? And what fabric do you want, ie cotton, cashmere, silk, wool, etc. Black pants are easy to find and for the aforementioned options, can range from say $30 at H&M to $300+ at higher end retailers.

I'm telling you guys. Brooks Brothers Milano fit are the best fitting pants I've ever bought. They're not crazy expensive either, retail for around 97 and I'm gotten pairs in the 40s and 50s
I'm sure there are better fitting pairs out there, but out of all the ones I've tried these are the best. And it's BB so the material is usually really good.

I'm telling you guys. Brooks Brothers Milano fit are the best fitting pants I've ever bought. They're not crazy expensive either, retail for around 97 and I'm gotten pairs in the 40s and 50s
I'm sure there are better fitting pairs out there, but out of all the ones I've tried these are the best. And it's BB so the material is usually really good.

are they slim fitting?

Heads up if you know anyone at Banana Republic. Their friends and family is on right now, 50% off in store on 5 pieces max and 30% online.

I know a lot of people have Herschel Supply Co bags, but how well do they hold up with the canvas material over time? I need to get a new duffle bag since my old one fell apart...

Back
Top Bottom