Dressing Better Vol 2.0

American Eagle Pick-Ups, $32 and change for both:

Last edited:
Beige suits for a summer wedding? yay or nay? and how would you wear it? ( in terms of shirt color/style and tie )
thanks

no bots.

all from Footlocker, Eastbay, and Champs.
Jealous! How did you do it. Just keep clicking add to cart until it went through?

this thread moves fast!

Make sure the timer on Eastbay, FTL, Champs, and Footaction is correct. I noticed that up to 5 minutes before it's actually 5am, the timer can be slow or behind by seconds or minutes, depending on when the page was last refreshed/opened. Keep on opening new tabs or refresh until the timer is correct (counts down to zero when it's 5am).

J Crew Factory didn't have anything good for the 50% off.. was really disappointed until they brought the 50% off online yesterday.. bought the Thompson suit.. crossing my fingers that it fits

My pops is wildly successful running the family business for years. Even-though I have nothing to do it, my pops shakes his head at my Jordans when I wear them around him. One of his businesses is working with inner city kids. So he's hip to what goes on RD. I try to tell him that I get them online. He replies with his, "Son I got up at 5am to make money (usually shows me a check someone has given him) while you are waking up to early to give Jordan $200, who's sleep in his mega mansion". He knows I make good money now, but he gets me every-time with these little zingers.

Nearly the same story as my step dad. He's also very successful but frugal when it comes to things like clothes. He used to question to why I had so many pairs of sneakers that cost over $100 even though the money came from my job. He thought I was nuts that I had the release dates circled ahead to plan the buys.

As a business lover and degree holder, I know where's he's coming from....the making someone else rich mentality. However, I didn't really go through 10 years or so of further education after HS just to make lots of cake and not spend it.

I don't even know how kids are affording all of the shoes now. Back when I was into it...retros were around $125. Only the new Jordans ran $150. And we only bought a pair per month max. Now, retros are $160, not to mention the other stuff like Kobe, Durant, Foam, Lebron, etc line.

There's a local chain here...it's like a structured mom and pop joint (WSS for those in SoCal). They smartened up and offered payment plans for the sneakers so you can pay back on a monthly basis. I'm sure interest has to be sky high :lol:

I agree now that I am older thats the mentality I have. I literally have to inconvience myself by getting up at the crack of dawn and or standing some super long in order to give someone ELSE 140 dollars or more for a pair of basketball shoes...nah I'm good. You guys both seem to have very wise and sucessful adults in your life. I bet you both 20 - 30 years from now we will probally be saying th same thing to our kids. Its boils down to when you know better you do better. When we were in our teens/early 20s we thought having the newest sneaks was the greatest. However, as we matrue we realize how impractical it can be dropping 150+ every month on sneakers...

Hold up my dude...shoe stores are allowing people to FINANCE sneakers??? YEEEESHHHH smh

looking to pick up some seconds.  ae strands or fifth aves in walnut?  looking for a dress shoe that can easily be dressed down.  used this for reference.  majority favored strands.

any suggestions?

I agree now that I am older thats the mentality I have. I literally have to inconvience myself by getting up at the crack of dawn and or standing some super long in order to give someone ELSE 140 dollars or more for a pair of basketball shoes...nah I'm good. You guys both seem to have very wise and sucessful adults in your life. I bet you both 20 - 30 years from now we will probally be saying th same thing to our kids. Its boils down to when you know better you do better. When we were in our teens/early 20s we thought having the newest sneaks was the greatest. However, as we matrue we realize how impractical it can be dropping 150+ every month on sneakers...

Hold up my dude...shoe stores are allowing people to FINANCE sneakers??? YEEEESHHHH smh
My mom didn't have much money when I was in middle to high school. The first pair of 'nice' sneakers I had were the Jason Kidd ones with the bug eyes. The white colorway got marked down to like $70 and she finally copped a pair for me. She got me my first real Jordans, the white/baby blue 15s in the 9th grade when I got all As. However, trying to cop them on a bimonthly basis was out of the question. I got my first job at 16 to fund the shoes. I was a telemarketer...cold calling folks to re-finance their homes. I never knew there were so many ways you can be verbally abused :lol: I didn't have a car at the time so I took the public bus after the school bus dropped me off from home. To make it work, I had to eat a hot pocket, which was my dinner, on the public bus on the way to work because travel time was so long due to the sorry L.A. public transportation. I remember I used to get off work at 10PM, got home at 11PM, and spent several hours doing homework while browsing NT :lol: then waking up at 5AM to prep for school again. I guess the moral of the story for me was that I had to earn what I want. Even though I live comfortably now, I still carry the same mentality. Except it's no longer for Jordans, but rather new and more expensive 'toys' :lol:

Yeah, man. This chain of shoe stores are in the poverty stricken areas....perfect plan.

looking to pick up some seconds.  ae strands or fifth aves in walnut?  looking for a dress shoe that can easily be dressed down.  used this for reference.  majority favored strands.

any suggestions?
I'd go with the 5th Ave because the Strands have a punched toe so it looks a bit busy for casual. I'd also opt for a nice walnut color for versatility.

I disagree Wis. I believe that a perforated cap toe is more casual than a plain cap toe. Even if the fifth ave has slight broguing detail, I still see it being the more formal of the two. IMO, I would scrap the both altogether. If you want casual, best bet is getting a pair of wingtips. Although they are balmorals, I'd look into if any mcallisters are available as seconds. I've also seen AE players on the list and they are bluchers. They'd be perfect.

I disagree Wis. I believe that a perforated cap toe is more casual than a plain cap toe. Even if the fifth ave has slight broguing detail, I still see it being the more formal of the two. IMO, I would scrap the both altogether. If you want casual, best bet is getting a pair of wingtips. Although they are balmorals, I'd look into if any mcallisters are available as seconds. I've also seen AE players on the list and they are bluchers. They'd be perfect.
I'm not voting for you anymore. I'm going to vote for the other dudes now.

You're right...historically the punching and wingtips are made for more casual shoes. Personally, I just find punched captoes to look weird with jeans...my reasoning. But this is being pretty picky. With either choice, you'll be dapper to the general public.

More than styling, it's the last or the profile of the shoes. The rule of thumb is that balmoral is more formal and blucher is more casual. I don't always follow this rule myself though so take it with a grain of salt IMO.

Last edited:

any suggestions?

I would go with Strands definitely my favorite AE's next to Mcallisters...

i know this is dressing better but i would like to know if
anyone from the DB fam has .... any tips for engagement rings?

i want the most bang for my buck of course (about 6500)

picked up my first pair of AEs, black Madison Ave captoes, from nordstrom rack for $110 (had a $100 gift card) .

they werent reviewing that well (complaints of being too narrow) but i found a size 10.5 EE and they fit really well. has a rubber sole (still goodyear welded) but no complaints as of yet.  

Last edited:
I would love to get a jacket made by one of these men. The Italians just have a certain way of doing menswear that looks incredible. If anyone runs across this documentary let me know

O'MAST from Kid Dandy on Vimeo.

I really wanted this polo guess it sold out

can anyone comment on the quality and fit of the the Bastian Uniqlo polos?

How would you go about finding a GOOD tailor to tailor a suit in your city?

I’m a little nervous about simply looking in the yellowpages and picking.

Back
Top Bottom