Dressing Better Vol 2.0

To ease the tension, before and after pictures for :lol:

In an attempt to keep this thread moving, here are pics of my latest pickup.

Chocolate and navy grenadine ties from Chipp Neckwear. I wanted some staple grenadine ties in a garza fina weave to go with a charcoal or navy suit. These fit the bill in my price range. 3.25" at the widest. A little stiffer than I imagined, but so far are the best quality ties in my rotation and I'm really happy with them. Down the road, I'm thinking of getting some different colors from Kent Wang to compare the quality.

Can't go wrong with Kent Wang :pimp:
I concur. Kent is a beast. I don't think he sleeps. Even when I used to email him at 2am or so, I would get replies back in minutes.

I have two of his grenadine ties. Awesome stuff.
KW is great. Those Chipp ones also look solid but I prefer Garza Grossa weave versus Fina.

Exquisite trimmings has a sale on full priced items with code 15PER and offer grenadine options but I think they only come in 3.5" widths. That's a tad big for me currently but I will not go under 3" anymore. Likely will liquidate more of my jcrew ties in the near future because of it.

To me, I stay here so that I can get info on pickups and sales, because I am on a budget. If I want fit inspiration, styleforum and instagram are better. 
I agree with this. It feels as if this thread is mostly adjunct by a select few members who while offer tips, may seem sort of authoritative and pretentious on their fashion advice or approval of another members fit based on personal bias or taste. Frequenting the wdywt thread on SF however, will introduce you to a vast variety of "well dressed" members with their own personal tastes and fitting preferences, to further help you best create your own. Remember that with anything you do, including fashion, research as well as exposure to many types of style facets and interests will help you create a more diverse and unique way of dress of your own.

A personal favorite SF member of mine is PhatGuido, who shaped his style to fit his personal needs and interests, transitioning from flawlessly tailored business suits to well fitting and accessorized bicycle jerseys. follow him on tumblr at mostexerent   

Last edited:
Everyone in here looks fantastic, keep doing what you do. 
happy.gif

If someone critiques someone's physical appearance or anything personal that's one thing.  They're just clothes though and if you're open to posting pics, I'd think you're either looking for constructive criticism so you can improve or you want to be complimented.  Just like for those of you who come in who mainly wear sneakers, let's be real, if someone thinks they're doing it in Team Jordans, right or wrong people are going to let them know otherwise.  If you're happy with it and don't care to change or feel like it could be better, good for you.  If not, try to ask what you should do to step it up and go from there.

Like I said I was kind of blocking out that people were trying to help out and give pointers so I apologize for sort of being blind to people just trying to help.
[/quote]

You good with me my dude, at least you posted a fit. lot of cats out here scare and just talk.[/quote]
Appreciate it. I didn't mean to get all in my feelings at first lol.

There was obviously a lot of room for improvement on the fit so I will consider what everybody has said.

Last edited:
I agree with this. It feels as if this thread is mostly adjunct by a select few members who while offer tips, may seem sort of authoritative and pretentious on their fashion advice or approval of another members fit based on personal bias or taste. Frequenting the wdywt thread on SF however, will introduce you to a vast variety of "well dressed" members with their own personal tastes and fitting preferences, to further help you best create your own. Remember that with anything you do, including fashion, research as well as exposure to many types of style facets and interests will help you create a more diverse and unique way of dress of your own.

A personal favorite SF member of mine is PhatGuido, who shaped his style to fit his personal needs and interests, transitioning from flawlessly tailored business suits to well fitting and accessorized bicycle jerseys. follow on tumblr him at mostexerent   
I love Guido for his tips and all. I don't think he's posted on SF in a while and hasn't done outfit posts since he's moved back to Australia. Now it's all coffee, biking, and dog pictures. He's a cool guy and all. I talked to him about his career path before. However, he does take shots at times himself....

I network and hang out with a handful of SF members. There are def favorites on the board where they can post anything and would get thumbs up. And speak of pretentious members, a lot can be found on that board.

Look at the horrible fashion blog thread. All of our outfits can probably be entered in there for the members to take shots at.

Also, let us not forget what happened when ksteezy posted his J. Crew suit in the Forest pictures :lol:

Yeah I made an account on styleforum recently because street wear is frowned upon here. I still appreciate this thread but it's really about suiting (usually for a special event), classic menswear, business casual, dress shoes, and J Crew. This is my weekday work wear thread :pimp:

I love Guido for his tips and all. I don't think he's posted on SF in a while and hasn't done outfit posts since he's moved back to Australia. Now it's all coffee, biking, and dog pictures. He's a cool guy and all. I talked to him about his career path before. However, he does take shots at times himself....

I network and hang out with a handful of SF members. There are def favorites on the board where they can post anything and would get thumbs up. And speak of pretentious members, a lot can be found on that board.

Look at the horrible fashion blog thread. All of our outfits can probably be entered in there for the members to take shots at.

Also, let us not forget what happened when ksteezy posted his J. Crew suit in the Forest pictures :lol:

Lol and his fish hook tie bar. That was pretty funny.

Last edited:
People shouldn't be afraid of criticism. My tailoring was straight trash until I started taking advice/tips from this thread, and women have always complimented how I dress ever since. It may sound harsh but no one in here is trying to attack your character or anything; they want you to look your best if you're spending the $ and effort to "dress up". No one in here is wasting keystrokes trying to help the FoamsxNTdenim people look good

my guy right here spittin facts. i mean seriously you all dont have a friend in real life that checks you before yall hit the club/bar/function? let us be that friend
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/hug-gif.gif

Also, let us not forget what happened when ksteezy posted his J. Crew suit in the Forest pictures
laugh.gif
I agree with you....personally I'm more of an absorb it all in and take notes for what works with me kind of guy. Like I would just know by looking at a pair of pants whether or not it fits me properly in terms of fit width taper whatever. But I'm skinny, so it might be easier to see what looks good on me. So I guess it also depends on the type of person you are when it comes to taking criticism or frankly whether you have any "style-IQ" as to knowing how clothes should conform to your body properly. 

I referred to PG as someone I believe is very astute in developing his own personal style by taking inspiration from various facets and incorporating it into something rather unique of his own. I can only assume he did so by looking at and interpreting from various other members and such. The basis of my last post was to frequent those forums in hopes to diversify an inspirational palette in terms of developing your own style. 

Last edited:
^no doubt guido is cool like that. My man rocks 5" shorts with dress socks and AF1 lows. I don't think anyone else from CM would rock that.

We in here sharing tips and tricks to look fresh. Every other day some emotional cat comes in here feeling like they are being bullied. Son's suit game was trash and cats are trying to help out, you don't want help don't post. If this thread was filled with garbage fits this thread would not exist.
Glen ain't playing no game today. Dang.

It would be like someone clueless to sneakers copping some CP3s with the matching Nike t shirt that says " I'm a baller" or some other moniker and posting that somewhere in the Jordan section.

First post of this thread is useful too. A lot of time was put into it. Just a FYI.

I just had to say something. I mean who doesn't want to improve their look if they care, which anyone who post in here does.

We in here sharing tips and tricks to look fresh. Every other day some emotional cat comes in here feeling like they are being bullied. Son's suit game was trash and cats are trying to help out, you don't want help don't post. If this thread was filled with garbage fits this thread would not exist.

Then it would be the wdywt thread

exactly, and the fits in there be trash. trash fits with rare/expensive sneakers.

anyone in here have the canvas camo shirt from j.crew? and think its worth $20 + shipping right now with the sale they have going on? thanks in advance!

anyone in here have the canvas camo shirt from j.crew? and think its worth $20 + shipping right now with the sale they have going on? thanks in advance!
I got it. What can you expect for $20? :lol: it's a nice shirt at a fast fashion price. Typical J. Crew quality which is adequate enough for most folks.

No shipping if order within store. Student discount takes another 15 percent off too.

Hey guys, can you all give me some tips on what to wear to a summer wedding? The wedding is in August so I don't know if I'll go the blazer route but I'm open to the idea depending on the materials used. Lastly I'm thinking I will be getting the fit from banana republic as I've seen some good fits there lately.
Do you mean just a blazer and chinos or something?  Or full (matching) suit?

You can do lightweight materials like linen or cotton.  What's your budget and what do you already have?  I feel like Banana Republic is hit or miss and personally the fit seems to vary between (for example) 40R of one material and 40R of another, even in the same cut.

I ended up buying one from there a few months ago because I had ~$200 in gift cards and was able to use 50% off in-store so it ended up costing me next to nothing...though I spent just as much on tailoring.

Since they have deep discounts it can be a good option and it's not like the fits are terrible, just far from the best.  One thing they mentioned though was that they coupons are not supposed to be applied to suit jackets, the manager was nice though and honored it.  

Back
Top Bottom