Dressing better

I would go with a light blue or pink oxford or get the white in a real clean classic white shirt.

Can someone please ID theses Tom Ford glasses for me. Thanks.
tom-ford-7.jpg

Just Received the PS Borelli boots, pretty nice shoe.
Suede is a bit more distressed that expected but it's very nice nonetheless.
ps_n_r10.jpg

ps_bor10.jpg

Originally Posted by ConductZero

What do you think about the all white Express 1MX shirts?

Fitted ones are on point but why pay $50-60 for 1 plain white shirt? IMO, when it comes to solid colors, going cheaper but with more variety is better. Go toMarshalls or Century 21. They have a bunch of decent solid colored shirts with nice fits for $20. With that being said, when it comes to striped, plaid, etcshirts, you have to go more expensive because those are indeed noticeable when the cheap route is taken.

Originally Posted by MaddenFan04

Where can I get some nice white button ups/ties for cheap?
cosign

i was about to buy a brooks brother white oxford but i was like damn, im too poor for this
any alternatives?

H&M has those non-iron white shirts for $15 and you can probably find some ties there for $10 as well.
For ties, I noticed that you can find a decent one at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc... for around $10 from brands like CK and KC.

Originally Posted by nyybaseball423

Fitted ones are on point but why pay $50-60 for 1 plain white shirt? IMO, when it comes to solid colors, going cheaper but with more variety is better. Go to Marshalls or Century 21. They have a bunch of decent solid colored shirts with nice fits for $20. With that being said, when it comes to striped, plaid, etc shirts, you have to go more expensive because those are indeed noticeable when the cheap route is taken.
movie theater?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Fitted ones are on point but why pay $50-60 for 1 plain white shirt? IMO, when it comes to solid colors, going cheaper but with more variety is better. Go to Marshalls or Century 21. They have a bunch of decent solid colored shirts with nice fits for $20. With that being said, when it comes to striped, plaid, etc shirts, you have to go more expensive because those are indeed noticeable when the cheap route is taken.
movie theater?
laugh.gif

Get it, I don't.

movie theater?
laugh.gif

Get it, I don't.
there some theaters called century 20 and i thought thats what you were refering too
embarassed.gif

carry on

movie theater?
laugh.gif

Get it, I don't.
there some theaters called century 20 and i thought thats what you were refering too
embarassed.gif

carry on

laugh.gif

Fits of the week:

Casual Friday (aka Today):

Thursday:

Wednesday:

Tuesday:

Monday:

Sunday - Time to Thank the Lord for all His Goodness:

Saturday (A visit to Sid Mashburn, and then dinner and drinks with some guys from SF):

Originally Posted by RFX45

Just Received the PS Borelli boots, pretty nice shoe.
Suede is a bit more distressed that expected but it's very nice nonetheless.

ps_bor10.jpg

those Borelli's are bad +$! RFX
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

has anyone ever copped one of those Trench coats from the Asain Ebay Sellers? bad boys look NICE, but I`m sure the qualty is thin, but where I`m at I just needit as a shell anyways.

thanks for the comments guys. the details on the ties are listed below:

Thursday: Brooks Brothers Grenadine ... bought from the Brooks outlet store in North Georgia
Wednesday: Fendi ... have had this for a long while ... honestly dont even remember when/where i got it, but it probably cost more than i am happy to admit ...lol
Tuesday: Rubinacci ... scoured it on eBay from a guy who was getting rid of a bunch of high end ties
Monday: Charles Tyrwhitt ... purchased for me by a friend in the UK
Sunday: Brooks again ... this time from a shop in Minneapolis, when i used to live in Mpls.

i usually refuse to pay full price at express- i have a closet full of 1mx fitteds but i'll grab them when they are buy 1 get 1 50% off AND ihave my trusty $30 off purchase coupon - at the end of every season you can stock up on the colors too....love 1mx shirts-

oh and on marshalls and tjmaxx- take them shirts out of the bag/box - undo all the little ties and pins and try them badboys on
laugh.gif
- dont just go off the size on the tag cause some are irregulars and stuff andyou might end up with a much different fit once u get home

Originally Posted by Meangene4

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

has anyone ever copped one of those Trench coats from the Asain Ebay Sellers? bad boys look NICE, but I`m sure the qualty is thin, but where I`m at I just need it as a shell anyways.
They run very small. I got the XL it fits like a medium. American eagle got a nice trench coat. I have the Ae trench if you need more pics I can post some.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat10007&productId=2101_9158
eek.gif
Good looks bro, hopefully this is still up a few weeks fromnow.

Nice fits Niidawg as usual. And yeah, those boots are great. I've always drooled over PG's Alden chukkas in snuff suede and figured since I love theIndy boots toe detail, with these I satisfy both look in one.

Also, a nice read from the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/20...&sq=dandies&st=cse&scp=2.

This Just in From the 1890s

popup.jpg

IT'S usually easy to distinguish between clothes and costumes: either you're Spider-Man, or you're not.

Drawing the line between polish and pretension is trickier, especially when last year's costume can be this year's classic, and next year's yawn.Just consider the steady infiltration of 19th-century haberdashery into the 21st-century wardrobe. Garment after garment has arrived on the scene that onemight think more Gilbert and Sullivan than Bergdorf and Goodman, only to be taken up by the young beards.

Not long ago, big brass-buttoned military coats looked a bit extreme. So did high-button, high-lapel vests and slim tweed trousers. And so did guys who tuckedsaid trousers into high, old-fashioned hunting boots. Now these clothes (along with those ever-present beards and mustaches) look like downtown defaultscompared with fall runway looks like cardinal-red tailcoats at Ralph Lauren, capes and bowlers at Alexander McQueen and knee breeches at Robert Geller.

As with home design, where curio cases, taxidermy and other stylish clutter of the Victorian era have been taken up by young hipsters, many of today'spopular men's styles have their roots in the late 19th century. There are the three-piece suits once favored by mustachioed Gilded Age bankers; themilitary greatcoats and boots of Union officers; and the henley undershirts, suspenders, plaid flannel shirts and stout drill trousers worn by plain, honestfarmers.

Just ask Taavo Somer, whose restaurant Freemans, with its mounted animal heads and antique oil landscapes, has been one of the trend's most active petridishes (and who lives the fantasy sufficiently to enjoy shooting skeet on weekends upstate). Even his eyebrows went up recently when he saw a young man dressedin a bowler, cape, breeches and knee socks on the Lower East Side.

"We've already seen the comeback of the butcher and the baker," he said. "Next thing is going to be a hipster candlestick maker."

The antiquarian aesthetic is far-reaching, with tendrils in the worlds of art (as in the work of the fashionable painter Walton Ford, opening Thursday night atthe Paul Kasmin Gallery in Chelsea) and film (as in "There Will Be Blood," "The Prestige" and, next month, "Sherlock Holmes").But it has made its deepest inroads in interior design and men's fashion. Just as in the late 1990s, when mid-century Modernism seemingly infiltrated everyapartment, men's wear shop and restaurant, this messier, cozier and more idiosyncratic Victorian dandyism is now reaching into all sorts of fashionablespots.

It decks the dark wood-paneled walls of the trendy Jane Hotel and the Bowery Hotel and A-list-y restaurants like the Spotted Pig and the Breslin. Somehow thelook seems even more sincere in Brooklyn eateries like Vinegar Hill House and Marlow & Sons and in antique shops like Obscura Antiques & Oddities inthe East Village and Luddite in Williamsburg.

Similarly, the look's most popular components - tweedy vests, woolen trousers, henley undershirts, dark wool ties, scratchy cotton shirts - appear to havean added dose of authenticity when unearthed in tucked-away shops like Amoskeag XX and Against Nature on the Lower East Side, or Hollander & Lexer inBrooklyn. Often they are made in New York by small labels like Engineered Garments and Freemans Sporting Club, Mr. Somer's line.

The photographer Mitch Epstein, who lives near the Freemans shop on the Lower East Side, said that the store and its aesthetic had so won him over that herecently bought a charcoal-plaid three-piece suit. "These are not the kind of clothes I was wearing," he said. "I'm more high modern. Butthere's a comfort and quality in them, a respect for what you wear and how you appear to others, but in a way that's not heavy-handed."

Part of the appeal, in fact, is in how the clothes relate not to the runways or the estates of Europe, but to America's heartland in ways that few fashionsdo. Country and city men alike have rediscovered old-school American brands like Filson, Orvis, L. L. Bean and Duluth Pack. Obsolete hobbies like wet-platephotography are finding new enthusiasts; long-outmoded farming practices are being revived. Even deer hunting with old-fashioned muzzleloaded rifles, whichhave to be loaded with gunpowder, a musket ball and a ramrod, has come back in force in some states.

Who knows, maybe the troublesome comeback of the North American beaver population will lead to a new appreciation of beaver-fur hats. They would be welcome atPaul Stuart, where beaver collars adorn greatcoats worthy of Andrew Carnegie, or at the Harlem workshop of the stylish hatter Rod Keenan, who has been sellingbowlers, derbies and, this season, even a handful of top hats.

This flamboyance is part of a curious new movement called Tweed Rides, informal gatherings of spiffily dressed ladies and gents cycling leisurely through townand disdaining finish lines. Tweed Rides began in London earlier this year and have spread this fall to Boston, San Francisco and Chicago. As the directionsfor this weekend's Tweed Ride in Washington, D.C., put it: "Leave the fleece, Lycra and outer shell at home. This ride is for the dandy."

Eric Brewer, a gallery owner who founded Dandies and Quaintrelles, the group that is organizing the Washington ride, said that the idea was not to come out incostume. "There are all kinds of societies that are about dressing up in period costume and then going back to your oversize jeans the next day," hesaid. "This is about style as a way of being." (You can't help imagining a kind of upside-down remake of "The Wild Ones," in which agang of elegant men in knee breeches riding old Raleigh three-speeds descend on an unsuspecting town and freak everyone out with their impeccable manners.)

Even so, tweed states its own case surprisingly well.

"I haven't worn tweed in a while, but I'm rediscovering it," Mr. Brewer said. "The Victorian era was about a very trim silhouette andform, and I'm seeing tweeds that are cut that way. The thing is, tweed looks very elegant, but it's a very sturdy fabric, so you can be dapper andstill appear manly and rugged."

As always, the look works only if you don't go too far. In "Sherlock Holmes," set in 1880s London, the detective, played by Robert Downey Jr.,has a penchant for over-the-top disguise. But Guy Ritchie, the film's director, so admired the more dignified three-piece tweed suits created forHolmes's sober sidekick, Watson (played by a mustachioed Jude Law), that he asked the costume designer Jenny Beavan for some of the fabric so he could havehis own made.

It is worth noting, too, how well 19th-century elements fit into the modern wardrobe, especially since many of them - peacoats, vests, fedoras - had a revivalor two in the 20th century. And as formal or old-fashioned as some of the attire may seem, most of it goes surprisingly well with the 19th century's mostenduring fashion legacy, a special kind of trousers invented in California by a man named Levi Strauss.

Maybe you've heard of them?

The "New Victorian"
31169226.JPG
31169220.JPG
31169214.JPG

31169232.JPG
31169235.JPG
popup.jpg

rfx can we get more info on those boots. tried searching but can find any place to purchase, also how does it fit

Back
Top Bottom