Dressing better

Originally Posted by dream5hift

I'm trying to buy a suit and a 36R fits me but the sleeves are short. Should I get a 38R and have a tailor take chest and shoulders in for a better fit? I'm new to this btw.

Chances are that if the sleeves are too short then the jacket is too short too - did you try a 36L?

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Can you guys recommend me a nice pair of dress shoes for under $300? I need to get a pair for my college graduation, and I'm currently considering Ecco, Cole Haan, or Johnston & Murphy. What do you guys think of these brands? I'm looking for the following characteristics:
-dark brown (to wear with a navy suit)
-narrow profile
-rubber sole (preferable because it rains a lot where I live, but I'll go with leather if I have to)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anybody?
Cole Hanns are great bang for your buck and you can find them for $100 or less from time to time.  You might be able to find some Ferragamos around $300 if you come across a nice sale at nordstroms.  If you don't care about the label get rockports because they make a bunch of rubber sole shoes and they are really comfortable.  Problem is they tend to be a bit wider and won't fit your narrow profile you're looking for.

Page 800
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Those 511's fit great...
You said you went down to a 30 from a 32?
I dont own any 511's but I'm looking to order some with this macys sale going on.
I'm just not sure what size to order....

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Those 511's fit great...
I dont own any 511's but I'm looking to order some with this macys sale going on.

If you've never owned a pair of 511's I would suggest going to a store and trying on a pair before ordering

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Those 511's fit great...

If you've never owned a pair of 511's I would suggest going to a store and trying on a pair before ordering

Thanks! I'm gonna go out when I get off today and try some on...

Originally Posted by BgL2687

Can you guys recommend me a nice pair of dress shoes for under $300? I need to get a pair for my college graduation, and I'm currently considering Ecco, Cole Haan, or Johnston & Murphy. What do you guys think of these brands? I'm looking for the following characteristics:
-dark brown (to wear with a navy suit)
-narrow profile
-rubber sole (preferable because it rains a lot where I live, but I'll go with leather if I have to)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anybody?
Cole Hanns are great bang for your buck and you can find them for $100 or less from time to time.  You might be able to find some Ferragamos around $300 if you come across a nice sale at nordstroms.  If you don't care about the label get rockports because they make a bunch of rubber sole shoes and they are really comfortable.  Problem is they tend to be a bit wider and won't fit your narrow profile you're looking for.

If you have 300 to spend you shouldnt even be looking at Cole Haans, J&M or Ecco. I see why you want dianite (rubber) soles, but for that price, i'll highly recommend getting leather soled shoes. You can have a cobbler attach a rubber sole during the winter/rainy season, which you can take off when it is dry.

In terms of places to look, i'll suggest zappos, shoebuy and ebay. For brands i'd say for 300 look for Ferragamo, Alden, Allen Edmonds (dont spend more than 200 for these), Santoni, A.Testoni, Bruno Magli, Bally, Crockett & Jones, Loake or Grenson. A few of these brands are UK brands, so remember, UK sizes are different from US sizes.

Good luck and congrats on graduating.

Thanks for the advice BgL2687 and niidawg3. I would love to get a pair of Ferragamo shoes; but I didn't think they could be had for $300 considering GQ often features them at over $600.

Thanks for the advice BgL2687 and niidawg3. I would love to get a pair of Ferragamo shoes; but I didn't think they could be had for $300 considering GQ often features them at over $600.

You never buy Ferragamo for retail though, they often go on sale. You cna go to Nordstrom Rack and find a few pairs lying around for less than $200. 
You can catch them when the department stores have their sales as well, like Barneys 40% off sale or Saks/NMs sales.

Nordstrom has their bi-annual mens sale and few Ferragamos go on sale. Ferragamo has sales in the boutiques too at the end of the season.

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

Can anyone tell me where I can get a navy knit tie like the one Nii has up there?
Just went to Macys Sunday, they had a sale on ClubRoom Knit ties for 10 bucks. All colors

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Can anyone tell me where I can get a navy knit tie like the one Nii has up there?
Just went to Macys Sunday, they had a sale on ClubRoom Knit ties for 10 bucks. All colors
what colors did they have?

I'm hitting Macy's tonight.
I'm going to be pissed if the 511 selection isn't on point.
Then I'll be forced to order off the site.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

that's one thing I love about living in Minneapolis area, there's sooo many Macy's in a pretty small radius, so I get plenty of store options in case one sucks
pimp.gif

Usually, the 511 selections aren't bad in most Macys as long as you are not looking for the trouser versions.
But the basics are usually there, basic denim colors, different shades of blue and such.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

that's one thing I love about living in Minneapolis area, there's sooo many Macy's in a pretty small radius, so I get plenty of store options in case one sucks
pimp.gif

Didnt know you are from Mpls.   

I used to live in Minneapolis for 6 years. Southdale and Ridgedale FTW!!!

Hey can anyone help me out on this my friend is having a costume party sometime in May and I've chosed to go as Jim in the office.

I wanted something plain and simple,  I can't make out what color shirt and tie he's wearing

Also would anyone know where I can buy cheap slim fit pants?  Do H & M sell them?

office505jim.jpg

Looks like a shade of blue plus a navy tie?

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

what colors did they have?

I saw everything from hunter green, yellow, navy, red, stripped muti-colored. I think its the best look for a great discount.

Back
Top Bottom