Dressing better

So I was invited to a work event with a lot of "higher ups". It is at a trendy bar and grill in Baltimore I have never been to. The event says "cocktail attire" and "no denim" but in Googling'g some pictures of the place, it seems more dress/casual. I work for a company with a very mild, athletic dress code.

What's a good middle ground? Being the youngest in the group - I feel like slacks, oxford, tie, sweater/cardigan. Sound more like a blazer type event?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Yo where can I find some Mark McNairy shoes besides the UO? I've seen a couple that I like but cant find any sites that sell them. A point in the right direction would be appreciated.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

^speaking of which can someone explain to me why all Montclair jackets are $1,000+? I get the whole high end designer thing but w t f?
Name brand, plain and simple is what you're paying for.  Yes, the quality and construction is there but ultimately it comes down to name.  I'm not a fan of the shiny nylon personally, but I definitely dug their collabo they did with Colette.  There's a ton of brands out there that offer the same quality at a fraction of the cost that's still high fashion/name brand like Isaora.  Not sure if I can justify this jacket for So Cal winters, but it's waterproof and feather down.  Probably not americana enough for NT though.
ISAO-MO3_V1.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

Nice find on the McNairy, too bad the boots are out of my size.

They've been out of sizes since early December. Employees had a 50% of all sale items and they ran through the McNairys.

You can find McNairys on sale at right now at Barneys...BUT once what they have now is gone thats it, they're not picking the brand up anymore. Mark McNairy has an e-store now, should be able to find a pair of Longwings on there. Probably about 5-6 US sites that stock McNairy's on the regular. I'd have to go through my bookmarks, none of the names are coming to me right now.

McNairys are nice unfortunately they don't carry the blue suede saddles.

Bangdak: let us know how it goes.

what color pants do y'all recommend for shoes this color?

Vanishing-Elephant-Collins-Brogue-01.jpg

grey or navy?

also, have some shirts i'm thinking about taking to a tailor for alterations

however, i would want to shorten the overall body length in addition to to taking in the sides and slimming the sleeves

don't know what it would cost and i think it may cost so much that it would not be worthwhile...anyone have a general idea what i could be looking at as far as cost?

here's a place you can mail your shirts to for alterations, recuts and all, for $25 a pop

http://www.tabshirtcollars.com/

anyone ever deal w/ them??

I've been eyeing the florsheim collection by duckie brown for some time now and I might have to pull the trigger come Wednesday. Does anyone know if they fit true to size?

Originally Posted by ASchwartz44

So I was invited to a work event with a lot of "higher ups". It is at a trendy bar and grill in Baltimore I have never been to. The event says "cocktail attire" and "no denim" but in Googling'g some pictures of the place, it seems more dress/casual. I work for a company with a very mild, athletic dress code.

What's a good middle ground? Being the youngest in the group - I feel like slacks, oxford, tie, sweater/cardigan. Sound more like a blazer type event?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

wear a blazer without a tie, a crisp white square, and dress shoes. you could open one or more buttons depending on your swag.

cocktail so you want to go for darker colors - navy, charcoal, grey etc ... vs brown, khaki etc.

Has anyone else been deliberately choosing contrasting textures when they layer up this Winter? For instance, I will have a collared shirt with a very soft sweater and then put on one of my synthetic, wind and water proof jackets with utility pockets I like the contrast because the materials underneath that are very soft, I especially like doing this layering with my pastel and earth tone cashmeres because the texture and the style of a collared shirt with a fine sweater is very "indoorsy" and academic and it think it stands it very nice contrast with a very "outdoorsy," macho and rugged jacket that you would wear hunting or hiking across the mountains.

I never mix in slacks, they look too out of place with synthetic fiber jackets, I usually go with nice jeans and sometime kicks or casual loafers.

It is also really comfortable because with many hiking/hunting/utility jackets you can often times take out the inner lining, let your sweater serve as the inner lining and you can then further adjust the shell by "opening" and "closing" the sleeves to control how much heat you retain or dissipate. It is good for this unusually cold and rainy winter here in SoCal and other places in the sunbelt where the temps range from the 20's to the 50's during the winter. Cashmere and cotton are bad at stopping wind and rain so having a light weight but strong anti rain and wind shell lets you stay dry and protected from wind while not making you overheat (with it's inner lining as well as a sweater, this combo would be good for temp near 0 so if you live in the North, try keeping the inner lining in your hiking jacket when you wear an outfit like this).

If any of you guys have worn a similar combo of jeans+soft material sweater+outdoor and synthetic material jacket. What do you think of it and if you have not worn this combo try it out and let me know if you thought it was a good combo for winter time.

Originally Posted by Numberr97

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Help!

I need a suit ... Navy Blue

$300 budget .... I will that cut it for a decent suit or do I need more ??
Check out J. Crew. Quality suits + some sales and you may get it less than 300. 

Thank u boss!  While I'm @ it .. I might as well for a recommendationfor a nice pair of oxfords both brown/black .. Any good sales out there?
Any good namebrands in the $125 price range ??

Thanks in advance NT!

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Has anyone else been deliberately choosing contrasting textures when they layer up this Winter? For instance, I will have a collared shirt with a very soft sweater and then put on one of my synthetic, wind and water proof jackets with utility pockets I like the contrast because the materials underneath that are very soft, I especially like doing this layering with my pastel and earth tone cashmeres because the texture and the style of a collared shirt with a fine sweater is very "indoorsy" and academic and it think it stands it very nice contrast with a very "outdoorsy," macho and rugged jacket that you would wear hunting or hiking across the mountains.

I never mix in slacks, they look too out of place with synthetic fiber jackets, I usually go with nice jeans and sometime kicks or casual loafers.

It is also really comfortable because with many hiking/hunting/utility jackets you can often times take out the inner lining, let your sweater serve as the inner lining and you can then further adjust the shell by "opening" and "closing" the sleeves to control how much heat you retain or dissipate. It is good for this unusually cold and rainy winter here in SoCal and other places in the sunbelt where the temps range from the 20's to the 50's during the winter. Cashmere and cotton are bad at stopping wind and rain so having a light weight but strong anti rain and wind shell lets you stay dry and protected from wind while not making you overheat (with it's inner lining as well as a sweater, this combo would be good for temp near 0 so if you live in the North, try keeping the inner lining in your hiking jacket when you wear an outfit like this).

If any of you guys have worn a similar combo of jeans+soft material sweater+outdoor and synthetic material jacket. What do you think of it and if you have not worn this combo try it out and let me know if you thought it was a good combo for winter time.
I can't really picture the look as I'm not sure what kind of specific jacket you're describing.

Hey peeps. My wedding is next month and I need shoe recommendations for my tux. Black tux, Black Bow Tie, white shirt. I would prefer loafers.

What's your budget bro...btw congrats on the wedding, enjoy it, it will be over before you know it...

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Hey peeps. My wedding is next month and I need shoe recommendations for my tux. Black tux, Black Bow Tie, white shirt. I would prefer loafers.
Congrats!

Post pics afterward.

Congrats.
As for shoe suggestions, the only slip-ons and as close to loafers you should wear for a wedding is this formal slip-ons. Loafers are just too casual witha  tux.

_6098756.jpg

Congrats man. +1 on the loafers RFX recommending.

hugo boss had a tux on sale last time i checked on their online site.. two-button jacket, so you might want to check that

Back
Top Bottom