Dummy politicians PASSED congestion pricing in NYC &TRUMP is blocking it yay!

Cuomo says Trump is holding Manhattan congestion pricing fees ā€˜hostageā€™
By Nolan Hicks and David Meyer

February 20, 2020 | 3:51pm

Cars are seen in a traffic jam in their evening commute on Fifth Avenue.

AFP via Getty Images
Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday claimed that President Donald Trump is holding ā€œhostageā€ plans to pay for key subway upgrades through congestion pricing as retaliation for New Yorkā€™s refusal to grant federal immigration authorities access to driverā€™s license records.

ā€œWill they hold congestion pricing hostage? Yes,ā€ Cuomo told reporters at an unrelated press conference. ā€œThatā€™s how they do business.ā€

ā€œIt doesnā€™t happen without the federal governmentā€™s approval and right now, theyā€™re not approving it,ā€ he said.

The comments came in response to reports in the Wall Street Journal and Politico that the Trump administration has refused to say for months whether the tolling program can move forward without a full environmental review.

MTA officials have said congestion pricing will pay for $15 billion of the agencyā€™s $51.5 billion plan for needed subway and commuter rail improvements.

State officials hoped to have the tolls in place by the start of 2021, but federal environmental reviews typically take two years or more to complete.

Cuomo said officials had expected the federal governmentā€™s approval would be ā€œperfunctory.ā€

SEE ALSO
donald trump andrew cuomo Cuomo, Trump butt heads over New York Global Entry ban
The Trump administrationā€™s approach to congestion pricing is an extension of its decision to ban New Yorkers from participating in expedited-traveler programs because the state lets illegal immigrants apply for driversā€™ licenses, Cuomo said.

ā€œThe federal government has been slow, obstinate and I think purposefully difficult whenever they can,ā€ he told reporters. ā€œItā€™s political extortion ā€¦ and, I think, you see this across the board, and Iā€™m not holding my breath for them to approve congestion pricing.ā€

MTA Chairman Pat Foye insisted earlier this week that he is confident congestion pricing will happen eventually.

ā€œItā€™s definitely high alert, but all hope is not lost,ā€ said Lisa Daglian of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Council, the MTAā€™s in-house advocacy group. ā€œThe MTAā€™s been saying from the beginning that they would hope the city and state put [money] because they didnā€™t expect the congestion pricing money to roll in on day one.ā€

The White House did not immediately return a request for comment.

No need for you to drive in midtown

cutting up NYC with tolls is stupid, glad Trumpito is dubbin da clowns in Albany... if you paid attention to local politics it's basically by da sycophantic bike Lane evangelists propping this crap up.

I want to give a big SMD to "gridlock" Sam Schwartz, I've been trying to shove this down our throats since before I was even born.

how about actually budget so da MTA isn't a walking corpse.

between this and car politics in terms of trying to taking them away from people is when I realized Democrats hate automobiles.

Not holding my breathā€™: Cuomo claims Trump is holding congestion pricing hostage
Today 11:08 AM
Gov. Andrew Cuomo in an editorial board meeting at Advance Media New York
Gov. Andrew Cuomo in an editorial board meeting at Advance Media New York, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018 Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com
By Erik Bascome | tbascome@siadvance.com
Facebook Icon
Twitter Icon
Email Icon
Text Message Icon
More options Icon

CLOSE
More share options:
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- As the MTA continues its quest to receive federal approval for the nationā€™s first congestion pricing plan, New Yorkā€™s top elected official isnā€™t holding his breath.

On Thursday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters that New Yorkā€™s congestion pricing plan could be held up by President Donald Trumpā€™s administrationā€™s refusal to provide guidance and approval to the MTA.

ā€œI am not holding my breath for them to approve congestion pricing,ā€ Cuomo said.

The refusal to approve congestion pricing is just the latest in a long line of political stalemates reached between New York and the the Trump administration, which includes a lack of federal funding for the Gateway rail tunnel, withheld approval for the LaGuardia Airport air train and exclusion from ā€œtrusted travelerā€ programs, like Global Entry, for New Yorkers.

ā€œWill they hold approval on congestion pricing hostage? Yes. Will they hold the air train approval at LaGuardia Airport hostage? Yes. Will they hold the Gateway Tunnels hostage? Yes. Because that is how they do business,ā€ Cuomo said.

With the federal government continuing to drag its feet on the matter, thereā€™s some concern that the program may not be ready to launch by the anticipated January 2021 start date.

The Central Business District Tolling Program (CBDTP) -- expected to reduce congestion on busy Manhattan streets while generating billions in revenue to dedicate toward mass transit improvements -- requires federal approval due to some roads within the programā€™s limits receiving federal funding or being considered part of the interstate highway system.

The main concern lies with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review process, which will require the MTA to complete either an abbreviated environmental assessment (EA) or a larger-scale environmental impact statement (EIS). The problem is, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has yet to provide the MTA with guidance as to which review will be necessary, despite over a dozen meetings between the two agencies in recent months, according to the MTA.

ā€œThe NEPA process is determined by the federal government and we have yet to receive direction from FHWA on how they would like the MTA to proceed even as we have had over a dozen meetings and provided every request for supplemental information," said MTA spokesperson Abbey Collins.

ā€œAs we have informed FHWA, the MTA is prepared to file either an EIS or EA, each of which we are advanced in preparing. The MTA remains on schedule, with the selection of the contractor and notice to proceed with work, each completed a month ahead of schedule,ā€ Collins continued.

MALLIOTAKIS CALLS FOR REJECTION

On Thursday, Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn) wrote to Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Administrator Nicole Nason, urging the agency to reject New Yorkā€™s congestion pricing plan until the MTA provides additional details regarding implementation.

ā€œI am writing today to urge you to reject congestion pricing in New York City until the MTA can provide a plan that details how this proposal would be implemented, as well as, where the revenue created would go,ā€ Malliotakis wrote.

In the letter, Malliotakis referenced the lack of available details regarding the plan, including how much the fee will cost, who will be exempt and what projects the money will fund.

ā€œAs your agency moves closer to a decision, I ask that you hold the MTA to the highest standard possible and reject this plan until they are able to provide concrete and satisfactory details as to how they intend to proceed,ā€ she continued.

She also notes that Staten Islanders already pay a toll to connect with the rest of the city, claiming that any approved congestion pricing plan should provide Staten Island drivers a credit to avoid being double tolled.

ā€œI also urge you to reject this proposal unless the Verrazzano Bridge is given the same toll credit status that many other crossings across the city are expected to receive. The people of Staten Island and New York City are counting on you to make sense of this puzzling plan missing many pieces,ā€ the letter concludes.

ABOUT NYC CONGESTION PRICING

As part of the $175 billion state budget approved on April 1, the MTAā€™s Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA) will establish the ā€œCentral Business District Tolling Program,ā€ which will charge travelers a variable fee for driving into Manhattanā€™s Central Business District, defined as any area south of 60th Street.

Congestion pricing refers to the use of electronic tolling to charge vehicles for entering certain areas during peak commuting hours, ideally resulting in reduced traffic congestion and increased revenue for transit-oriented projects.

A six-member Traffic Mobility Review Board will recommend toll pricing this year to the TBTA, which will ultimately determine the toll prices, which may vary based on a combination of factors and may potentially offer exemptions and credits to certain travelers. However, less than a year from potential implementation, the review board has yet to be determined, with no meetings yet scheduled.

The toll could potentially vary based on the time of day, the amount of traffic, the total distance traveled within the zone and the time spent driving within the zone.

The program is expected to generate $1 billion annually, which can be bonded against for $15 billion, which will be placed in a designated MTA ā€œlockboxā€ to fund capital improvements to the ailing mass transit system.

Revenue generated from the new internet sales tax and progressive mansion tax will also be included in the lockbox, adding another $10 billion in bonded funds, totaling $25 billion between the three new revenue streams.

In late March, a source involved with New York City congestion pricing proposals said it was ā€œfair to sayā€ that the panel would start with a baseline of the existing tolls on the Hugh L. Carey and Queens Midtown Tunnels, resulting in a two-way fee of $6.12 or one-way fee of $12.24 under the current tolling structure.

According to the source, the determining factor in selecting the price will be assuring that the annual generated revenue meets the $1 billion needed to secure the $15 billion in bonds for repairs and improvements to the public transportation system.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Advance Local logo
Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your California Privacy Rights (each updated 1/1/20).

Ā© 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.

Ad Choices

Also living in Houston, hopefully that mindset doesn't change anytime soon as Houston's population continues to grow larger and larger everyday (technically suppose to be the 3rd largest city in the US at this point).

The larger Houston's population gets, the more the traffic here begins to replicate what we see out in the LAs and Manhattans out there.

Actually, some of the recent traffic in the H is due to them doing construction on those very said "toll roads" that you are describing
i think houston is trying to meet the demand and handle the influx of transplants moving here
they are turning 99 in to a giant loop around the city
im all for it

i also hear plans of having a bullet train that connects houston, austin, san antonio, and dallas.
supposedly will only take 45 minutes to get to dallas :wow:
i would be in austin every other weekend

Last edited:
bullet trains sounds good.. problem is California is da model on how never to try it...morons :smh: :lol:

itā€™s gonna happen maybe not now but eventually down the line it will happen just like the Plastic bag tax

only reason that passed is because da crazy liberals cannibalized da IDC (independent Democratic caucus) which was a buffer between da progressives and Republicans in da state senate. (tended to block crazy irrational laws passed by da liberal dominated state assembly vs da historically controlled Republican state senate)

expect da liberals to lose their super majority this November with da major blow back to Green light bill (illegal immigrants being able to drive) and Bail reform (which Cuomo knows its been a loser so he's trying to convince Carl hasties da state assembly speaker) that's been dominating da news.

Only reason youā€™re against plastic bags is because now you gotta buy a pack of trash can liners at family dollar. I donā€™t expect them to lose the majority in the state. Itā€™s blue and staying that way for a long time. But to be frank I really donā€™t care about either. I have a reusable tote bag and and take the train very day except weekend when I drive uptown or stay home

I donā€™t expect them to lose the majority in the state. Itā€™s blue and staying that way for a long time

Democrats only held da state senate 2 times in 100 years.

they're gonna lose it with bail reform, guaranteed....you forget da summer time is coming, wait till those headlines of knuckleheads wilding out wit no bail...

NYPD gonna get soaked with fire hydrants all summer worry free.

Only reason youā€™re against plastic bags is because now you gotta buy a pack of trash can liners at family dollar.

sounds like a backwards way of agreeing how stupid da ban is.

I feel like every city has a great bullet train plan that will never happen :lol:

we were supposed to have one to Chicago and Rochester by now.

Back
Top Bottom