E3 2013 (June 11-13) Let the Next Gen Wars BEGIN

Which Next-Gen console is going to deliver at E3?

• Xbox One (Microsoft)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playstation 4 (Sony)

• Wii-U (Nintendo)

• Total voters
This better not affect the family sharing plan

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one-all-in-one-system-launches-with-new-focus-on-live-tv[/URL]"]
[h1]Microsoft to backtrack on Xbox One games DRM and "always online"[/h1]

19 Jun 2013
XboxOneconsole2.jpg

Microsoft is set to announce it will remove DRM restrictions on Xbox One games and the need for you to have the new Xbox "always online".
Sources tell whathifi.com that Microsoft is set to announce the changes later today, with games developers being informed first.
The Xbox One was announced last week at E3 alongside the new PS4, with Sony's new PlayStation drawing first blood thanks to the higher Xbox One price and apparent restrictions surrounding games and offline play.
Microsoft announced that users would need to connect the Xbox One to the internet once every 24 hours in order to keep playing. 
DRM (digital rights management) would also seemingly restrict you from sharing Xbox One games with friends or indeed selling them on second-hand. 
Sony was quick to capitalise, changing the PS4 launch to poke fun at the Xbox One's perceived restrictive nature and highlighting the fact that there would be no such issues aroud the PS4 (even if PS4 games publishers' can seemingly still choose to add DRM).
It seems Microsoft has listened and is set to change its mind on both DRM on Xbox One games and the always online requirement. 
More details as we get them.
[/quote]

Ballmer ain't gonna let us have both. People would hustle that system way too easily

OH LAWWWWWD!!! The rumor mill is starting that MS might announce they are dropping the used game DRM and always online

The Hate is Rising Sony fanboy, the hate is rising

Deshay! Deshay! Bashara Bashara HATE HATE HATE
where you hear this from? certain website? 

im navigating the interwebz and cant find anything other than silly xbox one memes

nevermind lol

Last edited:
If they do this, I wouldn't mind if they keep some of the always online stuff optional.

I won't mind checking in once a day if they meant I didn't have to swap disc. And kept the family sharing for Games on Demand games

If Sony backing out of DRM and used games made developers mad, I wonder how they feel about this game sharing?

Not going to lie, Id love to see this on PS4 so I could simply "borrow" some of the more niche titles I dont want to spend full price on.

:lol: It might actually be true.

Giantbomb posted an article
Giant Bomb

Microsoft to Pull Complete Reversal on Xbox One DRM Policies
by Patrick Klepek on June 19, 2013

Sources indicate Microsoft is going to move away much of what's caused the company so much headache.
The tug-of-war between Microsoft and Sony just got more interesting. Multiple sources inform me Microsoft will announce what amounts to a complete reversal on its DRM policies for Xbox One today.

What does this mean?

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/

The website is down though. they must be getting hit hard

If they do this, I wouldn't mind if they keep some of the always online stuff optional.

I won't mind checking in once a day if they meant I didn't have to swap disc. And kept the family sharing for Games on Demand games
That's what they shoulda done in the first place. Where that dude who in this or the xb1 thread was talking about all the data marketing scientist and how they can't be wrong???
Looks like they were wrong here

No always online, no power of the cloud.

Games that use the "cloud" to off load physics and A.I will probably require a internet connection though

But yeah, that PR spin job was sooooooo stupid

yea. Like titan fall is a multiplayrer based game that relies heavily on the cloud, so theres no getting around playing that offline. And Forza uses the cloud too, for drivatar data

I'm wondering about the infrastructure they had in place for the XBone.

The backlash must have gotten to them

If Sony backing out of DRM and used games made developers mad, I wonder how they feel about this game sharing?

Not going to lie, Id love to see this on PS4 so I could simply "borrow" some of the more niche titles I dont want to spend full price on.
I assume PS4 will have something like it since PS3 had same feature, although limited number of people you could do it with. And it was only digital downloads.

Sony didn't really back out of anything, policies are same as they were with ps3, and they still left DRM rights up to the developers which they said they would at the original PS4 reveal.

My stance on Xbox if they do, or do not change the DRM/Always Online

It wasn't going to effect me personally in the slightest, but if it deters other people from buying the system, that lowers my overall multi player opportunities. SO hopefully whatever changes they make, more people buy the system.

I extremely hope they don't get rid of the 10 family/friends sharing though. My friend and I already done worked out our sharing times lol. half price games ftw

That's what they shoulda done in the first place. Where that dude who in this or the xb1 thread was talking about all the data marketing scientist and how they can't be wrong???
Looks like they were wrong here

That was me. And I was not saying that their data scientist were telling them at DRM and always online was the right move.

I was saying that they were telling MS that if you that route you will lose "this amount of consumers" but will be able to make more money one the ones that are connected and always online. Their job is to draw conclusions based on the info they have infront of them. They had no way of predicting how bad the blow back would be and how many goofs the PR team would make.

I am happy about this. Less work in submissions to deal with a split between DRM and no DRM on each platform.

Last edited:
How do Xbox fans feel for them to get told basically oh well deal with it to ok we will change our policy. It doesn't make u feel some kinda way about them??

How do Xbox fans feel for them to get told basically oh well deal with it to ok we will change our policy. It doesn't make u feel some kinda way about them??

Its M$ man, we been known they cut throat...but this right here?? wow, sounds like maybe they do care about what they're consumers think a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom